Out of calories, hungry, what do you eat?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Just wondering, for future reference on those days (which may or may not be later tonight) - what's the lowest calorie, most filling food you eat when it happens to you?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, if I'm out of calories, I just eat something and don't worry about it. If I'm trying to save calories for later, it's always a sour pickle. One of those big ones. It does two things, it fills me up, and it makes me thirsty (the sodium I suppose). I have one after work while waiting for dinner to finish cooking.
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn! No butter. Just cajun seasoning.
  • m1ke1984
    m1ke1984 Posts: 15
    Options
    popcorn
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, air popped, no fat.

That said, I've been having reasonable results with a couple of amino-acid tablets. Less than 15 cal. each. They are not filling per se, but I think the high protein concentration helps.

For what is worth, I tried very lean chicken, meats, etc. They didn't work :(
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound sarcastic, but it's an earnest answer: water. Late evening snacking is my weakness, but I've been drinking water instead and finding I'm not so much hungry as I am thirsty. Next to that, my favorite new snack is Skinny Pop. 39 calories for one cup of popcorn. Two cups at 80 calories is usually plenty for a snack and it's really awesome tasting!

Otherwise, maybe adding some 100 calorie packs of almonds during the day instead of something else to help keep you full may be a different option.
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ill eat a banana or air popped popcorn...only thing that fills me up when I'm out of calories. When I'm really hungry, I"ll make a pancake with a little light syrup...then make it up next day by eating less or exercising more :)
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'll eat some shredded cabbage with homemade ranch dressing.

OR (more likely)

1pc of bread
    1/2 Table spoon of peanut butter
    1/2 table spoon of low sugar jelly.

Then I'll usually go for a walk with some water to help even out the calories.
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First thing I do is drink - a mug of lemon and ginger tea, satisfying and quenching and takes a few minutes t brew - gives me time to evaluate whether I really do need to eat. And read a success thread for motivation!
    If it's still hunger after that - I go for small portion of protein, weigh out a little meat or cheese with some salad veggies, or hit the fruit - depends if I want sweet or savoury
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have rice cakes with a bit of PB or sugar free jam. :) or a smudge of cream chesse and fruit on top
  • youarethefocus
    Options
    Apple slices, baby carrots, and cucumber sticks. And a big cup of Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Tuna! Tuna creation pouches, I take them to school with me at night sometimes since I usually can't fix dinner til after school, only 90 calories and they have like 6 flavors. Sometimes, it's enough for dinner if i mix it with a tbsp of light mayo and eat a halo (50 calorie) little orange or something too
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Already said...but, yes.....popcorn!
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A chicken breast and as much lettuce as you can eat. If you have enough add a little light dressing. Chicken Breast 140, light ranch per tbsp, Lettuc 8 calories per cup. Its when you add things that the calories skyrocket
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Banana
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I have one, I'd eat a spaghetti squash. Those things are freakishly filling considering how low calorie they are. And they are good with absolutely nothing added.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hot tea or coffee.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I must be the only person who never gets full on pop corn, lol. Water never works either... I drink it all day, no difference.

Keep the ideas coming!
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pop popcorn.....and water. Popcorn maybe makes me bloated? LOL......anyway, it makes me full...quenches my salt and crunch cravings. Followed by tons of water, of course.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'll just eat something and realize that it's 500 calories at least to get back to maintenance for the day, and I'd have to eat about 5000 calories to wipe out my weekly deficit and another few thousand to gain anything more than water and waste weight.

Better to be over by 100 than under by the same amount in my book.

Rigger
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i really like cucumbers and salsa. You can have a decent amount for under 100 calories. I get hot salsa and add hot sauce to it. It helps me drink more water and makes me feel full.

Yeah the water trick doesnt really help me either. But I see the point...that maybe I am really not hungry but thirsty.