what do you do between sets?

Options
So I am starting to get into heavier weights and the rest I need between sets is increasing. I'm curious as to what people do during that time?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    hang out and rest...generally 2 minutes, sometimes 3ish on my last sets. sometimes I chat with my buddies if they're around
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Log my previous set into Jefit, check kik messages, load up more weight on the bar, sit and rest until my next set.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    get my mind right for my next lift. depending on the weight or the volume ill take anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes between sets.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Think about the next one
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When I lift with my husband, I switch out my little plates for his big plates on one side of the bar, slurp a smoothie and enter my sets into the app.

When I work out alone, I glare menacingly at all the dudes trying to steal the weights I have piled in the corner of the room.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Pose and lounge on the equipment. Text. Fix my hair.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    People stalk---I mean casually glance around.
    I do people watch in between watching the gym clock waiting thirty seconds to starting next set.
  • MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Jump rope! Active rests make for a killer workout, just as long as you rest the muscle group you're working on in your sets.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I'm training alone, I think about life. If I'm with the team, I'm usually coaching or spotting.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    write poetry, listen to classical music, and ponder metaphysics
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    MFP, catch up on my news reader feed.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Record reps and weight into my app.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Scratch things, blow snot rockets, belch, flatulate, whatever it takes to alienate my fellow gym goers.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Pose and lounge on the equipment. Text. Fix my hair.

You stole my answer.
  • bl0ndez0mb1e
    Options
    I do pushups on leg days between sets and crunches between sets on arm days. I figure I'm getting the most out of my workout then. I guess I text sometimes too haha
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    walk
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Stare blankly into space, or make good use of the mirrors to view others, where (in) appropriate
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so I fold laundry, load the dishwasher, dryer, washer. One time I even swept the floor. Not all at the same time. But if I west for one minute, I spend that minute doing a chore and repeat until its done.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Listen to music. Catch my breath. Watch all the really strong guys pick up heavy stuff and put it down.

Really, it does help to watch other people lift. I look at others' form, or get ideas for different accessory lifts. There are lots of regulars at my gym and no one seems to be creeped out by it. On rare occasions I'll chat with someone, but I'm fairly introverted, so I don't usually start the conversation.