It's ok to indulge once in a while, right?

Options

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    No forbidden foods for me. There are a few things I need to be careful about for example, once I start eating pizza it's pretty tough to stop.CheezIts too.

Which reminds me of my favorite pizza quote:

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six" - Yogi Berra
  • KaHam6
    KaHam6 Posts: 36
    Options
    Of course if you stay under your calorie goal you will probably still lose weight regardless of what you eat. But you absolutely will lose more weight if the calories you're eating are salad and not fast food. It's not all about calorie counting but managing your intake of everything. Fats, sugar, protein, ect. Obviously your fat intake will be higher if you're eating mc Donald's instead of healthier choices. I'm all for indulging here and there but it definitely matters where your calories are coming from.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Of course if you stay under your calorie goal you will probably still lose weight regardless of what you eat. But you absolutely will lose more weight if the calories you're eating are salad and not fast food. It's not all about calorie counting but managing your intake of everything. Fats, sugar, protein, ect. Obviously your fat intake will be higher if you're eating mc Donald's instead of healthier choices. I'm all for indulging here and there but it definitely matters where your calories are coming from.

Careful with your wording....

If the calories from the salad = the calories from McDonald's the outcome would be the same.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    Indulging is good, once in a while, just make sure you don't feel guilty about it. Enjoying food is not a crime.
  • KaHam6
    Options
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I do. Actually, daily. Those daily 'treats' are what keep me on track. KNOWING I get a couple of cookies (ginger lemon from Carr's, YUM) and some hot tea, or brownies with a cup of coffee, or even a pack of Rolo's, or kettle corn and cider or whatever rings my bell that night helps me. Are they huge, do I eat them all day and is it ALL eat? No. But it does encourage me to say you know, I'm going to have a salad now because I want that cookie later. Or, hey, let's have fruit for snack with some lunch meat because I want that froyo for later. So, I think it's a balance and you do what works for you. I like the little treats daily and some people like huge treat meals. I don't like the way a huge treat meal makes me feel (bloated, sick, heartburn, etc.). But you do what makes you happy and keeps you on track.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If the majority of the time you're keeping your calories on point and giving your body the nutrition it needs, then yes, the occasional indulgence is ok.

I gave in to a lot of the diet BS too and felt guilt/shame over eating a cupcake (the sugar! the gluten! the carbzzz!). This idea that I can track calories and make room for treats AND successfully lose weight? Two months in and I'm still in disbelief.
  • KaHam6
    Options
    No the outcome would not be the same. My point is 300 calories from mc Donald's are def different From 300 calories of salad because of the content in those calories. The fat, sodium and sugar levels will be all different and there for results will vary.
  • establishingaplace
    Options
    No the outcome would not be the same. My point is 300 calories from mc Donald's are def different From 300 calories of salad because of the content in those calories. The fat, sodium and sugar levels will be all different and there for results will vary.

If food A has more fat and more sugar than food B, food A has more calories.

One food might have a better nutritional profile, but 300 calories is 300 calories.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

One food might have a better nutritional profile, but 300 calories is 300 calories.

What about the toxins?
  • KaHam6
    Options
    I disagree. If you eat 1 hamburger and it has 500 calories and then you go home and eat 500 calories worth of salad those calories are different. And yes have different fat content.
  • establishingaplace
    Options

What about the toxins?

That's why I have an occasional wine cleanse.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    LaLa_Ventura Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Using MFP helps me take a good look at what I'm putting in my body. I still eat what I want but now I am more balanced throughout my day. If I decide to eat a burger today for lunch, I balance it out with light healthy low cal,sodium,and carb all day. I know some foods (Hostess Apple Pie over 400 calories) is a no no. It robs my whole day of calories but IF I did want one I would share it or take a nibble. So I really haven't eliminated anything.
  • KaHam6
    Options
    Exactly. It's all of those things are going to factor in weight loss. I don't see how we can argue that someone eating 1200 fast food calories will have the same results as someone eating 1200 salad calories.
  • dtimedwards
    Options
    I disagree. If you eat 1 hamburger and it has 500 calories and then you go home and eat 500 calories worth of salad those calories are different. And yes have different fat content.

You are 100% correct. The salad is no good for you because it lacks fat and protein... things that are essential to the human body. Meanwhile, the hamburger has fat and protein in the burger, also the cheese, plus you'll get carbs from the bun and the tomato...

Plus, imagine how much lettuce you'd need to eat to get 500 calories. And if you could do that, think of the poop you'd take...
  • KaHam6
    Options
    I'm not in any way saying you shouldn't eat fat and should only eat salad. I'm just saying the calories are different because of what made them up content wise. That's all

You are 100% correct. The salad is no good for you because it lacks fat and protein... things that are essential to the human body. Meanwhile, the hamburger has fat and protein in the burger, also the cheese, plus you'll get carbs from the bun and the tomato...

Plus, imagine how much lettuce you'd need to eat to get 500 calories. And if you could do that, think of the poop you'd take...
  • dtimedwards
    Options
    I'm not in any way saying you shouldn't eat fat and should only eat salad. I'm just saying the calories are different because of what made them up content wise. That's all

What are they made of? Yoga mats? Toxins?
  • KaHam6
    Options

What are they made of? Yoga mats? Toxins?

Probably.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    The only thing eating out hurts is my wallet. I count every calorie, and so I've been losing weight. It doesn't matter what types of foods I eat.

I also try to eat chocolate every day because it's delicious. At least 1-2 times a month I eat 3,000 calories in one day. It happens. I'm somehow still losing weight. It's magic! ;)
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do not think you should cut out any food but I think especially when you limit your calories you should be more mindful of the nutrients in those calories that you do eat - You probably will lose the same with say 1200 calories of "real" food vs 1200 calories of "junk" food but will you feel as good - will you be as healthy? I really question if McDonalds qualifies as food.