How much exercise should I start with

Options
So I'm trying to shift my weight again so I've came back on here and just wondered how long should I exercise for everyday and how can I get more energy to do these exercises.

Replies

• 4loveford
    Options
    Going from my experiences I found that starting at a moderate level is very important for keeping up your energy throughout the day. When I began exercising and getting into shape again there were times (allot of times) that I felt tired, unable to move, foggy and lethargic. Exercising sounded like a tiring chore but once I got going all of a sudden my energy expanded from the exercising itself. Walking is a great low impact way to start up, go with a leisurely pace at first and then build up, swimming is also great if you feel comfortable at the pool. If walking isn't your thing or you like indoor activity try some beginner yoga, Pilates or stair master to your favorite music. My favorite thing to start with was using my daughters stepping stool and doing a little stair master regime when I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer lol!

The key is to start out slow and reasonably otherwise you can exhaust those precious reserves and lose focus of your goal.

This is totally based on my own experiences, its so important to listen to what your body tells you no matter what anyone says, you know yourself THE best.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking and doing cardio at home. Then went onto Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, that gave me really good results, why don't you try it?!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    As for exercise, I'd advise you start slow. It seems that everyone wants to jump in, and give 'er, right out of the gate. Which, IMHO, is a recipe for injury, or just plain quick burnout, and quitting. Ease on into it, start by walking, or swimming, or just doing what you might 'enjoy.' If you start to feel like you need to ramp it up, then, you've got the bug, and you're on your way.

Try this. Follow this advice... Down-Arrow.png Eat sensibly, with a reasonable deficit.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you can't out-exercise a poor diet. nothing wrong with working out, but figure out your food first. Those links that sloth provided are great places to start.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started out slowly..going for walks in my neighborhood 1-2 miles each day. I have Zumba Core for the Wii so I've been using that too at least 3x a week. I also live in an area with good hiking trails so I do that once a week. Last few times I've tried jogging for short periods of time (I can only last about 45 secs lol)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It depends upon your fitness level starting out. I have an exercise bike, so I started with 30 minutes and worked up from there. Pick something you enjoy, whether it's walking, swimming, dancing etc. It's ok to switch it up and do different things so you don't get bored.

Weight loss is mostly dependent upon your intake but exercising will improve your fitness, help you tone and lose inches.
  • ChelseaCousins
    Options
    Thank you all it's been a really big help :)
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started out with walking on my lunch break. I have been walking about a mile each time and I am now noticing my pace has increased.
    I feel like I am finding that the more I exercise (without pushing myself too hard) the more energy I have. Exercise (or at least the sense of achievement afterwards) is addictive!
    I am now adding in 30 minute home workouts twice a week and soon I hope to increase the time and frequency of my workouts.
    You'll get there, just start with little goals and you will be surprised about the improvements you notice.
    Good luck!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    when I began I could do a leslie sansone dvd for 20 minutes or walk around my block for 20 minutes.. now I do about an hour of any exercise, still mostly walking, leslie dvds, power 90 or something at the gym and also hand weights. When you feel the 20 is too easy for you , you will increase your time.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My only rule- not enough to cause you to burn out. be sure the amount you do is something you are going to be able to do every day.

I love leslie sans one walk videos! ;)
  • kcoston101
    Options
    I downloaded a bunch of workout apps on my kindle. I am just beginning and quitting smoking, so I do about 5 minutes of abs, legs and butt. I walk my dog 2 miles 3x a week. And am doing the 30 day squat challenge. Www.fitnessblender.com is pretty great too
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I started in February, and was already taking 2 1hr fitness classes at my rec center per week- with friends, "just for fun". Once that class session was over (end of March), I upped it to 5 1hr classes per week, plus started C25K training on off days. Occasionally I'll throw in a YouTube video (I still love the old Windsor Pilates videos- especially tthe buns and thighs one!). I realize I'm not typical, certainly for a beginner, but I actually really enjoy working out! Plus it allows me to eat more :)

Sample a bunch of different things for a few weeks, a few times a week, until you find workouts that you enjoy enough to stick with. I prefer a variety, so I do something different daily (and I do work out pretty much daily), mostly cardio, plus strength training 2-3 days per week .