Can I still lose weight with cardio only

Options
im here to lose weight. I go to a gym where i only do cardio i get a good sweat each time, will i lose weight with a calorie deficit and with doing cardio only or should i do weight training also when i dont really want to?

Replies

• petitepeanutbutter
    petitepeanutbutter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can. But I suggest strength training too!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    im here to lose weight. I go to a gym where i only do cardio i get a good sweat each time, will i lose weight with a calorie deficit and with doing cardio only or should i do weight training also when i dont really want to?

You will lose weight if you are at a calorie deficit no matter what you do. Purpose of cardio would be to improve your fitness and through exercise be able to eat a bit more and still net at a deficit. Purpose of weight training would be to retain your muscle instead of losing that along with the fat which WILL happen if you eat at a deficit and do lots of cardio.

If you are okay losing your muscle along with your fat then yeah eating at a deficit and doing cardio only will give you weight loss.

If your only care in the world is to make the number on the scale go down then eating at a deficit with cardio is a good way of doing that. If you want to be fit at the end of it and not just skinny-fat then yeah do your strength training.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, it's the deficit that creates weight loss, and yes weights help retain muscle, but that may not be your goal, so it's up to you.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Any calorie deficit will drop weight. Cardio will burn calories but in the long run you won't be strong with a lean/leaner body. Ideally you want to do both. You want to build the muscles so when you aren't working out your body is still burning calories. If all you do is cardio and don't build muscles you with be more "skinny fat".....you will be thinner but you will still have a higher amount of body fat and look softer and won't be as strong.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

You will lose weight if you are at a calorie deficit no matter what you do. Purpose of cardio would be to improve your fitness and through exercise be able to eat a bit more and still net at a deficit. Purpose of weight training would be to retain your muscle instead of losing that along with the fat which WILL happen if you eat at a deficit and do lots of cardio.

If you are okay losing your muscle along with your fat then yeah eating at a deficit and doing cardio only will give you weight loss.

If your only care in the world is to make the number on the scale go down then eating at a deficit with cardio is a good way of doing that. If you want to be fit at the end of it and not just skinny-fat then yeah do your strength training.

Great answer