Returning to running - cycling instead of rest day?

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
After yet another winter when I was determined to keep running, and then flaked out, I have been getting back into it. Seen as I don't want to cause myself an injury, I've decided to keep the running to every other day for a while yet. And work up along my usual plan to get to 10k in 2-3months.
But, I am also determined to get back into shape as quickly as possible, so I've decided to quit hating my bike and alternate running and cycling days. With a day off here and there for good measure.

Do you think I am overdoing it, throwing in an hour bike ride between my usual 45-60 minute runs?

Thanks

Karin

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great cross training for running! But from personal experience, at least 1 if not 2 total rest days are needed a week from running! I am in the middle of marathon training, I run 4 days a week, lift 3 days a week and take 2 full rest days off! I have one dedicated cross training days, and then lift on my short run days as well!
  • seanie1965
    seanie1965 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Depends what you do, a steady 45 mins on the flat could act as a recovery ride and actually be very good.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am just figuring oh how to work in the rest days. Whether I want to take a day off after one set of running and cycling, or two. I keep telling myself that cycling should be active recovery, but then I end up pushing it after all. So a day or two rest a week sound about right!
    I hated running and lifting! Until I figured out to lift after running. Now my weight set is in storage because we moved to a shoe box of an apartment. Gah.
    Thanks for the opinion & good luck on the marathon training! :smile: