Spanish Food recipes

Options
Anyone have some good healthy spanish food recipes? Arroz con pollo, mofongo, Asopao, Moro de guandules, mangu, empanadas etc.

And by spanish food i dont mean taco or nachos me not mexican :) lol. I'm looking for authentic Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican food.

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't have any but I would be interested in seeing the recipes you get.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here is a site I just got from typing "low fat empanadas" into my search engine.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4422287_make-lofat-empanadas.html
    Just CTRL C this, put in in the http: thingee and you can get to the web site. The recipe looks pretty interesting.

My husband lived in Panama for 10 years in the Air Force and loved eating and making empanadas. I will make sure he sees this low fat version, too.

Have fun computer hunting for recipes. :drinker: (water)
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Moro de gandules

Two parts water to one part rice.
    One can gandules
    Tomato paste, onions, cilantro, sofrito (I make my own), green pepper, good salt, olive oil, capers, olives, etc.
    One envelope of Sazon by Goya to give it that pretty color

On the bottom of the caldero, do two circles of olive oil.

Add the diced onion, two big spoonfuls of tomato paste, on medium heat so that the paste sort of melts and the onions brown. Add diced green pepper, capers, olives, oregano, whatever you like.

Add the gandules and when you "hear" the gandules in the oil going "shshshshs", add the water and COVER THE POT. Bring it to a full, full boil. And then add the rice, stir once with a wooden or plastic spoon (no metal - it changes the flavor of the rice) and cover it right away. I hope you have a gas stove. Set the fire to as low, low, low as you can go. In about twenty minutes, remove the lid and turn the rice ONCE. Cover it again, leave it low, low, low and in another 20 minutes, you will have a beautiful moro de gandules (not gUandules) and you will feel so Dominican it will make you cuckoo.

Enjoy!
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    THank You Berry, I made a similar empanadas recipe like the one you gave me before, it was great. I'm not sure how many calories it was but the one you gave me is good cause traditionally you fried the empanadas but the oven will do the trick for less calories.

Thanks everyone else for aleast taking a look at my posting.

Hi Aeriel i be waiting with you too. lol
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Gracias Diva,, Moro de Gandules with Bictes Encebollado is my favorite.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    Options
    Arroz con pollo

I like to use thighs (caderitas) because the flavor is unbelievable. Remove all the skin, every last bit of it, and wash the chicken. After you've washed it, drizzle an entire lemon and then season it. I season it and put it in the fridge overnight so that the seasoning really takes. Use fresh verdura whenever possible. Parlsey, cilantro, oregano, onion, green pepper, salt, freshly-ground pepper. Whatever else you like.

Take the big pot and do not add any oil. Turn the heat to high and when the pot is hot, add the chicken thighs with tongs. Be ready to turn the chicken over right away but do not use a fork. You'll just puncture the chicken and lose all the juices. You're going to hear the chicken going shshshsh, keep turning it, make sure it's browned. Lower the heat to low, low, low and add tomato paste, olives, capers, whatever floats your boat, and cover the pot. I let mine cook for two hours on low heat. Check it after about an hour or so and you're going to see a lot of liquid. I skim the fat off. It's easy to do. You can't miss it.

After an hour, add the rice. How much rice to add depends on how much liquid there is in the pot. Do it the Latino style. Add the rice. If you can stand a spoon in the middle of the pot and it falls over right away, add more rice. If the spoon stands straight up, add chicken broth. The idea is for the spoon to sort of wobble and gently fall a little to one side.

Make sure the rice is thoroughly stirred in. Cover for 20 minutes. Uncover after 20 minutes and turn the rice over only once. Cover and let it cook for another twenty minutes and you're done.

The key with rice in Spanish cooking is that you uncover the pot only once. Otherwise you end up with sticky, lumpy rice. If you use brown rice, it's going to be mushier because the whole bran holds a lot more moisture. Be sure to add an envelope of Sazon Goya so that the color is pretty.

Forgive me for not having measurements, but when you know what everything tastes like, you sort of know how much you want of what.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    Options
    Gracias Diva,, Moro de Gandules with Bictes Encebollado is my favorite.

A la orden! Bistec encebollado indica que eres boricua. Cierto?

Tomorrow I'm making chuletas guisadas. :-)
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    Options
    Mangu

Peel that plantain and don't get hurt in the process. LOL

Boil water. Duh!

Add platanos. Double duh!!!

Here's the trick. Add salt to the water. That's what allows the plantain to absorb it and not be so dry and give you hiccups.

When the plantain is soft (test it with a fork), remove the plantain from the pot but DO NOT throw out the water.

Here's the next trick that nobody knows but you will have mangu that is like silk. Throw the plantain into a food processor AND SLOWLY ADD THE WATER YOU COOKED IT IN to the mix. Slowly. Do not use fresh water. Use the water you cooked it in.

That stuff will be like puree. Serve with a tajada of avocado or a poached egg. Eat it at 10 AM and you won't be hungry again for three days. And you know it's true!!!
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Soy Dominicana pero la Comida Dominican y Boricua es bien similar.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Ok PLease Stop. cuz now you are just making me hungry..
    Just kidding about the "stop part" feel free to keep posting , no kidding about the hungry part. lol

Muchas Gracias.. The only problem is that I dont know how to control myself around spanish food. I'm afraid that if i make some i will eat the entire caldero (pot). To cope with that i will only make it every 5-6 weeks as a reward for myseld eveytime i lose 15 LBS. Or when i go to visit my mami in NYC.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Mangu, I can make it with my eyes closed. That's all we (Dominans) eat. well not any more for me only special occasion.

noticed my name: Tu-Platano (lol) the main ingredient for Mangu.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    Options
    What is fattening about our food?

We use rice, beans, vegetables, herbs, spices.

Nothing is processed, nothing is fried. Everything is guisado.

Have you been to Santo Domingo lately? No obesity there. People look great.

The problem is not the food, man. The problem is the lifestyle. Winter is coming, we get all cooped up, we eat in our cars. You know in the DR everyone goes home for lunch and eats a banquet but dinner is a slice of toast with a cup of cocoa.

Our food rocks. Give up the Presidentes and the Barcelos, but hang on to your rice and beans. For real... it's all good.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    :laugh: you got me :laugh: .. Yea i need to do something about the Presidentes... You have to be dominican to know all this stuff, are you?

THere is nothing bad with our food, the problem is that we dont have a normal serving of it (1/2 pls). When i visit NYC i eat about 1200 + calories in once serving. Good thing i dont do it too often. Tostones con Carnes guisada, aguacate y mas. Our food definetelly rock and i will not trade it for anything in this world. But rice and bean are loaded with calories not unless you have a 1/2 or 1 cup serving of it. but i agreed with you is not so much the food but the lifestyle. En santiago we eat that 24/7 and not everyone is fat.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    Chicken with Rice
    serves 5

Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Total: 1518 122 67 98
    Per Serving: 304 24 13 20

2/12 cups of long grain rice
    3 cups of water
    2 tbsp of olive oil
    5 pieces of chicken thighs
    1 lil can of tomato sauce
    3 tbsp of sofrito
    1 package of sazon
    15-20 olives with red pimientos
    salt and pepper to taste

get out your pot put in the oil heat it up, then once thats done drop in your chicken thighs and fry them up a little on each side so you dont see any pink on the outside, that should take about 7-8 minutes.

Then turn the heat down , add all the seasonings,sofrito.sazon, tomato sauceolives. Mix it up good then cover and cook on low for another 10 minutes.
    Then add the rice and add water,hot tap water is better, mix it up together real good.

Then cook on low for 15-20 minutes till water is all gone and you have yourself a real PR dish, courtesy of my mrs. :0)

You can add some potatoes cut into chunks but that will add calories ofcourse .
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Thanks alot raidakaoz that's soud really good. Thanks also for indicating the calories.
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree- our food is great. What's killing us are the fast food joints. And the soda. When old folks only ate traditional food, they didn't have canola oil- they used lard, and ate full fat meats and drank full fat milk with our café con leche, con azuquita negra- not with Splenda. Our desserts are made with coconut milk, again - full of fat, and yet, you see all those pics from 50-60 years ago and people were lean.

Here's my contribution- perfect for Fall

Asopao de Gandules con Bolitas de Plátano

Bolitas de plátano
    2 large green plantains, peeled and shredded in food processor
    1/4 tsp. crushed garlic
    dash of salt

Asopao
    2 cans gandules
    2 quarts chicken stock
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    ½ cup diced cooking ham
    ½ cup sofrito
    1 cup tomato sauce
    2 cups short-grain rice
    ½ pound West Indian pumpkin, peeled and diced
    1/2 tablespoon salt, or to taste
    olives and capers
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro

Form dumplings from 1/2 tablespoonfuls of shredded plantain, garlic, and salt. Set aside.

In a large caldero, combine the gandules and the stock. Heat until boiling.

While the stock and gandules boil, fry the ham in the oil for a few minutes, then add the sofrito and cook about 4 more minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the ham and sofrito and the rest of the ingredients to the stock and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the soup has thickened. Add the cilantro just before serving.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Silvia that asopao sound muy delicioso. Gracias

And thanks everyone for all the feedbacks, you all are awesome.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump