Protein help

Options
2»

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1800-2000 calories a day, and I am burning apx 500 per day through exercise, and I lose about a pound a week.

For protein, I like greek yogurt (expensive though), eggs, and chicken. I throw a few chicken breasts in the crock pot with whatever seasoning I feel like. (Salsa works great for example) Then I let it cook until I can easily shred it. I stick it in the fridge and use it over salads, in a wrap, heck just by itself. 4 ounces of chicken has a TON of protein!

If you can afford the calories milk and cheese are also delicious ways to get added protein.

2000 a day? Holy cow! I miss food so much...but I can only burn so much off.
    Thanks for the crockpot chicken idea!

You are really close to burning the same amount of calories as I do. I do about 3500 a week, you do 600 x 5days = 3000 calories a week. less than 100 calorie a day difference. I know sometimes it seems like eating more defeats the purpose, but weight loss isn't all about math and numbers and logic. Your head HAS to be in the game. When I eat more, I am more satiated, so I have less cravings and binges.Plus I have more energy to work out, and burn more, so I can eat more, so I have more energy . . .

Also, I don't want to be doing things too differently than I will once I reach my weight goal, that has been my mistake in the past, and I regained. Sustainability is what I am aiming for, even if it means it will take me longer to reach my goal weight.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1800-2000 calories a day, and I am burning apx 500 per day through exercise, and I lose about a pound a week.

For protein, I like greek yogurt (expensive though), eggs, and chicken. I throw a few chicken breasts in the crock pot with whatever seasoning I feel like. (Salsa works great for example) Then I let it cook until I can easily shred it. I stick it in the fridge and use it over salads, in a wrap, heck just by itself. 4 ounces of chicken has a TON of protein!

If you can afford the calories milk and cheese are also delicious ways to get added protein.

You are really close to burning the same amount of calories as I do. I do about 3500 a week, you do 600 x 5days = 3000 calories a week. less than 100 calorie a day difference. I know sometimes it seems like eating more defeats the purpose, but weight loss isn't all about math and numbers and logic. Your head HAS to be in the game. When I eat more, I am more satiated, so I have less cravings and binges.Plus I have more energy to work out, and burn more, so I can eat more, so I have more energy . . .

Also, I don't want to be doing things too differently than I will once I reach my weight goal, that has been my mistake in the past, and I regained. Sustainability is what I am aiming for, even if it means it will take me longer to reach my goal weight.

Hmmm...good points. I struggle with this a LOT. Am I going to be stuck eating plain tuna and chicken for the rest of my life, without ever getting to enjoy a church potluck or a family barbecue again? Literally makes me sad.

Maybe I need to think about this even more...thanks so much!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What is with people's fascination with protein? I see these threads several times a day. Who has convinced you that you need more protein? Most people get MORE than enough!
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    If you need protein...get some ground beef. It is cheap, easy, versatile, and if you cook it right, it has a great protein/fat ratio.

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_files/reducing fat in ground beef.pdf

read that.

Good luck!
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    FOOD AMOUNT PROTEIN PROTEIN
    (gm) (gm/100 cal)
    Tempeh 1 cup 31 9.6
    Soybeans, cooked 1 cup 29 9.6
    Seitan 3 ounces 21 17.5
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 18 7.8
    Black beans, cooked 1 cup 15 6.7
    Kidney beans, cooked 1 cup 15 6.8
    Chickpeas, cooked 1 cup 15 5.4
    Pinto beans, cooked 1 cup 15 6.3
    Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 15 6.8
    Black-eyed peas, cooked 1 cup 13 6.7
    Veggie burger 1 patty 13 18.6
    Veggie baked beans 1 cup 12 5.0
    Tofu, firm 4 ounces 11 10.6
    Tofu, regular 4 ounces 10 10.7
    Bagel 1 med. (3.5 oz) 10 3.9
    Quinoa, cooked 1 cup 8 3.7
    Peas, cooked 1 cup 8 6.6
    Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), cooked 1/2 cup 8 15.0
    Peanut butter 2 Tbsp 8 4.1
    Veggie dog 1 link 8 13.3
    Spaghetti, cooked 1 cup 8 3.7
    Almonds 1/4 cup 8 3.7
    Soy milk, commercial, plain 1 cup 7 7.0
    Whole wheat bread 2 slices 7 5.2
    Almond butter 2 Tbsp 7 3.4
    Soy yogurt, plain 8 ounces 6 4.0
    Bulgur, cooked 1 cup 6 3.7
    Sunflower seeds 1/4 cup 6 3.3
    Cashews 1/4 cup 5 2.7
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 5 13.0
    Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 4 6.7
    Sources: USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 24, 2011 and manufacturers’ information.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What is with people's fascination with protein? I see these threads several times a day. Who has convinced you that you need more protein? Most people get MORE than enough!
    Experts which suggest 1g/lb of lean body mass is a good choice for avoiding muscle loss when on a deifict, who's articles link peer reviewed studies.
    Do you have studies that show this isn't true or "is 'more than enough" not relating to preventing lean muscle mass?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Hmmm...good points. I struggle with this a LOT. Am I going to be stuck eating plain tuna and chicken for the rest of my life, without ever getting to enjoy a church potluck or a family barbecue again? Literally makes me sad.

Well we've already had a "where are you getting this from?!" mini-rant on this thread so I may as well pile on. You do not have to eat bland food. Granted if you eat at restaurants [without published nutritional information] and family BBQs or potlucks all the time, it will be difficult to accurately measure and record your calories consumed, but otherwise you can still eat these foods once in a while, log the calories, and make the numbers work for the day/week whatever.

The ideas you've been given should empower you with a plethora of options, not be overly restrictive or cripple you!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Just a question, are you weighing/measuring your portions? Perhaps you are eating more than 1500 calories a day?

Also, I found the more protein I included in my diet, the less hungry I am overall. Good luck! :)
  • megg428
    megg428 Posts: 1
    Options
    I make these fabulous peanut butter protein balls. The recipe makes about 10 so I eat one as a snack or pre/post workouts. They are only 100 calories a piece.

Also consider greek yogurt, protein bars/shakes, and adding peanut butter with your fruit. I use the natural smuckers because it has the least amount of ingredients.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    Just a question, are you weighing/measuring your portions? Perhaps you are eating more than 1500 calories a day?

Also, I found the more protein I included in my diet, the less hungry I am overall. Good luck! :)

Yes, anything I eat at home gets weighed on a kitchen scale--usually in grams. Anything I eat away from home I overestimate on how much I log to be safe (1 bite of refried beans gets logged as 1/4 cup). :-)

The past couple days I have found that to be true for myself as well.

Thanks so much!
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    I make these fabulous peanut butter protein balls. The recipe makes about 10 so I eat one as a snack or pre/post workouts. They are only 100 calories a piece.

Also consider greek yogurt, protein bars/shakes, and adding peanut butter with your fruit. I use the natural smuckers because it has the least amount of ingredients.

Do you mind sharing a recipe for the peanut butter balls?

I used to hate peanut butter...but now I have to SERIOUSLY exercise self control with it, or I could eat a whole jar! Haha!
    The only natural peanut butter here is Skippy, but I LOVE it. ????
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options

Well we've already had a "where are you getting this from?!" mini-rant on this thread so I may as well pile on. You do not have to eat bland food. Granted if you eat at restaurants [without published nutritional information] and family BBQs or potlucks all the time, it will be difficult to accurately measure and record your calories consumed, but otherwise you can still eat these foods once in a while, log the calories, and make the numbers work for the day/week whatever.

The ideas you've been given should empower you with a plethora of options, not be overly restrictive or cripple you!

Definitely not an "all the time" thing...church potlucks are once a month, and barbecues are maybe weekly in the summer. Granted I'm nowhere near "home" right now, and won't be for a few years (from OK, but in Japan)...but I want to be able to partake once there.

Thanks so much! :-)