Technology!!

Options
Okay, so I was looking at bodymedia to get to track my activity, I liked what it had to offer, however, there is no way I'm wearing that thing everyday at work! Just won't fly. Plus there is a monthly rate! So..... What are technology bands you use and why do you like them and what do you not like about them?
Pros and Cons, GO!
Thank you!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is nice. It has it's limits. There are currently 3 models (was 4, but one got recalled). Zip and One are clip on's that you wear on your torso (bra, pocket, belt, etc). Flex is a wrist model that looks like a rubber bracelet.

Pros-
    Not bulky
    No fee to view the information gathered
    Zip and One - Easy to hide.
    Flex - has a bunch of different colored bands. you can buy extra bands in different colors and change them to match your outfit.
    Flex - can be submerged up to 10 meters.
    Flex and One - can track sleep/create workout logs (sleep mode/activity mode are the same thing, it judges how to log it by how active you are)
    Helps give you a better idea of how many calories you burn in a day.
    One - can track stairs
    One and Flex - rechargeable

Cons-
    Can only accurately track step based activities. Everything else has to be manually logged.
    Zip - cannot track sleep or create workout logs
    Zip and One - cannot be submerged in water.
    Zip - has a watch battery that has to be changed every couple of months
    Flex - tends to underestimate steps taken when arms don't move much (pushing stroller or cart)
    Flex - tends to overestimate steps when moving arms a lot (if your standing still but moving arms, it sometimes picks up steps)

Here is a list of activity trackers with information and reviews about them:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I use a (second hand) fitbit ultra it registers flights of stairs, periods of increased activity and steps which together give me a measure of how active I've been in the day. Integrates well with MFP to bump up calories on active days.
  • Getfit2lookgood
    Getfit2lookgood Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a Fit One and it works well for me.
    It does a good job at tracking sleep and your movements/steps.
    Also really good at tracking when you glimb steps or walk up hills.
    Its small and you can place it in several good spots on your body.
    If you get one though make sure you place it securly. If you wear it on our waist]
    make sure you keep inside your pocket - I lost my first one by wearing it outside my pocket.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit force (they have been recalled - but I LOVE mine and won't trade in). I have it in black and wear with everything. Logs everything I want it to. I've never had an issue with it - so if anything should happen - I would probably go for the fitbit flex. And fitbit's customer support IS great - I lost my charger for the force and being that it isn't sold anywhere any longer, I called and they sent me a charger within a few days for free.