Thoughts on Truvia and aspartame?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My only thought is they both taste horrible so I avoid them because I avoid things that taste horrible.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bumping so i can read when I have more time. Thanks for sharing.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    stay away from aspartame, it causes tumors in the liver and gives headaches. Don't know enough about truvia
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    stay away from aspartame, it causes tumors in the liver and gives headaches. Don't know enough about truvia
    No, it really doesn't.
  • sweetblackberry1
    sweetblackberry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    for me stevia taste horrendous i think i prefer the turbinated sugar
  • rml_16
    Options
    No, it really doesn't.
    He's partially correct. It is a known and recognized migraine trigger. But not everyone who gets migraines has the same trigger, so it won't cause them in everyone. However, if it is a trigger for someone, that person should avoid it.

Migraines suck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturalnews.com/034320_aspartame_sweetener_side_effects.html

just read an article that puts truvia and purevia in the same unhealthy chemically processed boat as aspartame....it said Stevia (preferably from brazil) in it's unprocessed raw form with no chemicals added is considered ok with none of the side effects of the others.

Truvia is my favorite. Aspartame is okay. Sucralose (Splenda) gives me headaches. So any time it says "no sugar," I read the label.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Ive used stevia for the last 5 years it seems okay.
    I cant use splenda and have to avoid most products with it in it. Gave me chemical burns on my throat and tongue after using it just a week.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm waiting patiently for someone to explain the process technology of getting the chemical that we think is sweet out of the green leaves beloved of the PR people. Armed with that info I could form an opinion. Or is the "unprocessed raw form" a pile of leaves ?

Truvia uses erythritol as a carrier for the stevia extract, this can't be called "natural" on advertising in the UK.

How is erythritol unnatural? Isn't that sugar alcohol?

Edit: Ok, I looked it up, and I was right.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/erythritol.htm
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    No, it really doesn't.

Yeah, aspartame or stevia are the only two I will use. I love them when I need to save calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting patiently for someone to explain the process technology of getting the chemical that we think is sweet out of the green leaves beloved of the PR people. Armed with that info I could form an opinion. Or is the "unprocessed raw form" a pile of leaves ?

Truvia uses erythritol as a carrier for the stevia extract, this can't be called "natural" on advertising in the UK.

Yes, manufactured in a lab. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are also both natural, so why is aspartame not considered natural?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    my best friend is type 2 diabetic and her dietitian told her that stevia is the only sweetner that does not effect blood sugar at all. it is the only one that they endorse....if that helps. all the others raise glucose levels (not as much as sugar ) but they do raise it.:smile:

There are also studies to suggest that long-term use can actually be beneficial to people with glucose/insulin problems.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes, manufactured in a lab. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are also both natural, so why is aspartame not considered natural?

Does being in a lab make it unnatural? If I brew tea in a lab, would it be lab tea? :laugh:

I think we get too worked up over "natural" anyway. If you didn't pluck it from the earth yourself...
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    little do people know there is even aspartame in everyone's daily bread. Go figure.

Yuck, not my bread.

Barring medical issues, my opinion is if you eat SO MUCH sweetened stuff where you need a zero calorie sweetener to help you meet your calorie goal, then the problem isn't the sweetener. The problem is your eating too much crap with boatloads of sugar. Of course, most people don't want to hear that and would rather search high and low for some miracle sweetener that allows them to get their sugar fix without paying the caloric penalty.

What would you say to the individual who is drinking a couple of diet sodas per day because it helps him or her kick their regular soda habit, resulting in a reduction in energy intake?

Again, just my opinion but I don't think drinking diet soda is any better than drinking regular soda. Sure, less calories but it is still garbage. Americans are well trained by food companies to love everything sweet. Most packaged foods that should have no business containing added sugars are ridiculously sweet, such as tomato sauce, salad dressings, etc. As a nation we have a serious sugar problem and not much desire to change. Of course, this is just my lone opinion so feel free to consume all of the aspartame and stevia you want. :wink:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The sources used to support the article seem dubious.......
  • rml_16
    Options
    Most packaged foods that should have no business containing added sugars are ridiculously sweet, such as tomato sauce

Why should tomato sauce not contain sugar?
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Aspartame:

* #1 source of side effect complaints in the US
    * FDA approval was the "most contested" in US history
    * Breaks down into methanol in your body
    * Independent studies found it caused brain cancer in lab animals

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/aspartame-and-health_b_2783732.html
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've stayed away from sugar for years, not because I've demonized it or I want to save calories, but because diabetes runs rampant in my family. I've already lost many family members due to complications from it and I don't want to raise my chances of developing it (even though most of them are diagnosed as children so I'm probably past the point of worrying) I've switched through the various artificial and sugar free sweeteners and finally settled on organic stevia. It wasn't because of all the negative research associated with aspartame, it's just that a lot of the other sweeteners often gave me headaches or other unpleasant side effects.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Most packaged foods that should have no business containing added sugars are ridiculously sweet, such as tomato sauce

Why should tomato sauce not contain sugar?

HA, it depends where you are from. In the UK and some other countries, tomato sauce is what American's call "ketchup" which always contains sugar. In the US, tomato sauce is pureed tomato you may put on pasta or use in lasagna. Language barriers :bigsmile: