QUORN products and weight loss?!

Options
2»

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of this product so I went looking...here is what I found...

(at the end of the article they gave links to some studies)

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

Quorn Complaints

Quorn is the brand name of meat substitutes that are made from a vat-grown fungus. Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing. Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity.

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit food-safety organization based in Washington, D.C., has heard from more than 2,000 consumers in Europe and the United States who have suffered reactions to Quorn.

Despite what some of the manufacturer's (Marlow Foods) marketing materials indicate, the fungus used in Quorn is only distantly related to mushrooms, truffles, or morels. While all are members of the fungus kingdom, Quorn is made from a less appetizing fungus (or mold) called Fusarium venenatum.

Like most things (e.g. shellfish, milk) it's possible to be allergic or intolerant to Quorn. It affects a small portion of the population and those that are suffer particularly bad stomach complaints. You will KNOW if you are allergic, trust me!
    Secondly: it's an extract from a fungus (mycoprotein), but even if it's not related to mushrooms particularly closely, why is that 'less appetising'? Bread and beer are made using yeast and people don't freak out about that particular non-mushroom fungus.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ooo like the looks of those recipes! Will def be giving them a try :)
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you cook it on the stove. When you microwave it, it turns into a cardboard-like substance. :cry:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

Quorn Complaints

Quorn is the brand name of meat substitutes that are made from a vat-grown fungus. Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing. Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity.

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit food-safety organization based in Washington, D.C., has heard from more than 2,000 consumers in Europe and the United States who have suffered reactions to Quorn.

Despite what some of the manufacturer's (Marlow Foods) marketing materials indicate, the fungus used in Quorn is only distantly related to mushrooms, truffles, or morels. While all are members of the fungus kingdom, Quorn is made from a less appetizing fungus (or mold) called Fusarium venenatum.

Like most things (e.g. shellfish, milk) it's possible to be allergic or intolerant to Quorn. It affects a small portion of the population and those that are suffer particularly bad stomach complaints. You will KNOW if you are allergic, trust me!
    Secondly: it's an extract from a fungus (mycoprotein), but even if it's not related to mushrooms particularly closely, why is that 'less appetising'? Bread and beer are made using yeast and people don't freak out about that particular non-mushroom fungus.
    They allow peanuts in the open market and they kill small children every year....anyway, we eat lots of insect parts with every meal, so I think quorn will be fine to consume.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Used to eat it fairly frequently until I cross referenced the bad stomach I kept getting (very bad cramps, cold sweats, and ummm lets just say associated problems!) with eating it. I react very badly to it unfortunately as does my Mum. My OH has no issues at all with it though and am annoyed that I do as its a low cal, high protein versatile meat substitute (for my tastes only the mince/ pieces, the flavoured 'steaks' were horrible, the burgers mushy although the sausages weren't bad).
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I think quorn is disgusting, the texture is off, it's like slime...shudder.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Quorn Complaints

I didn't freak out...I just posted what I read about it.

Knowledge is always better when we have it all...not just what we want to hear...that's all.

I love yeast breads...but I have to be careful about eating it...I have had some severe reactions to yeast based medications...digestive problems with yeast breads...though I do love it and will have a yeast roll on occasion.