Exercise

Hello all.

I started yesterday and so far im feeling good. After only one day I can say eating better i feel a lot more awake than usual :)

I was just wondering if anyone had an light exercise tips to get me started?

I have not exercised properly in years and every time i attempt I suffer really badly, I think im pushing myself too hard too soon!

Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Walk. Walk. Walk.

I started out Walking (I was Obese). I walked for months. It really helped with my endurance. As I lost weight I found it easier to do other activities, thanks to less weight and increased endurance. Walking led me into hiking. When it got cold I took up Zumba, and I actually was able to last the entire hour-long class. Before, I'd be ready to give-up by the 3rd song.

10 months later, I still walk every Saturday. Hike Every Monday. I do Zumba 4x a week. I swim. I run 50 minutes on the treadmill.

Don't knock walking. It's a GREAT exercise. Simple, yes, but effective.
    I highly recommend finding a park/trail that keeps your walk interesting! Nothing like walking outdoors.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Walking!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Walk. Walk. Walk.

I started out Walking (I was Obese). I walked for months. It really helped with my endurance. As I lost weight I found it easier to do other activities, thanks to less weight and increased endurance. Walking led me into hiking. When it got cold I took up Zumba, and I actually was able to last the entire hour-long class. Before, I'd be ready to give-up by the 3rd song.

10 months later, I still walk every Saturday. Hike Every Monday. I do Zumba 4x a week. I swim. I run 50 minutes on the treadmill.

Don't knock walking. It's a GREAT exercise. Simple, yes, but effective.
    I highly recommend finding a park/trail that keeps your walk interesting! Nothing like walking outdoors.

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^ GREAT advice!!! :)
  • Thanks very much for the replies :)

Very helpful!
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Also if you can't get outside or on a treadmill check YouTube for Leslie Sansone Walk at Home - the 1 mile walk goes by in a snap and she is entertaining too!
  • thanks ill look into this over the weekend :)
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    I'm another that's pro walking, I try and do at least 3 miles 5x a week if not more. That has now led to me getting out on a bike in nicer weather and with my hubby being a mountain biker I'm now even going a bit off road with him.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    You could try cycling.

You could start off by spinning out in lower gears (personally I find spinning is better than grinding, but what you really want is to find a rhythm that is good for you).

I started cycle commuting to and from work properly in 2013 (after buying a new bike at the beginning of January), and did 8000miles that year, I rather enjoyed it!

Still doing it now, whatever the weather, and is better than sat in traffic getting cager rage :tongue:
    Or stuck beneath someones sweaty armpit on a hot underground train :sick:

I might only average 14mph to 15mph over the 20 mile ride (both morning and evening) but I stil move much quicker than most Central London traffic :smokin:

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I think im pushing myself too hard too soon!

I'm another person who will advocate for walking. ESPECIALLY if you're losing weight over a long-term period. While you lose weight, you also can lose bone, EVEN IF YOU TAKE SUPPLEMENTS. One of the recommendations to prevent bone loss is moderate impact, self-supported aerobic activity. Walking is a perfect example of this (as opposed to, say, swimming or ellipticals, or anything where you're sitting down -- still good to burn calories, of course, and increase endurance, but less effective at maintaining bone).
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    I'm also on the walking-wagon here. It's great exercise and doesn't require any equipment :flowerforyou: