Low-impact Aerobics - any benefit?

Options
Okay, so I'm doing better from surgery, but now I'm in the middle of a lupus flare-- full body this time (heart, lungs, joints, etc). I know if I TOTALLY stop moving it's going to be bad.

Do low impact aerobics do ANYTHING for you as far as weight loss? Or am I better off just waiting for this to pass. BTW, this means I'm back on the full dosages of the dreaded steroids.

Any low impact routines/videos you recommend? TIA

PS -- This. Sucks.

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm sorry to hear about your flare up. I have a friend with lupus so I understand the issues you're going through. Low-impact aerobic can help with weight loss provided you're working at a level that raises your heart rate enough. I've done plenty of low-impact aerobic workouts, however low-impact to me is going to be very different than low-impact for you. Off the top of my head, I would say the elliptical and the stationary bike are pretty low-impact or step aerobics (or the stairclimber). You can also google low-impact workouts to find more examples. Sorry I can't offer any more, but hopefully this helps!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Sure it's going to help. Anytime you are moving it's better for you than doing nothing at all. I would check with your doctor to see what they suggest. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Thanks guys...I appreciate the input.

Right now I literally walked back and forth in my basement 10 times, then sat down. Then did it again. Not much, but like it was said here something is better than nothing.

I also tried lifting very very light weights just for the range of motion on the joints, and was able to do this for about 3 minutes before I really had to stop. But the stiffness got a bit better, so that's good.

As for the doctor, he says that I should be resting, avoiding stress, raising the mg of steroids...um...yeah, okay. *laugh*