Strength Training for Weight Loss

Options
I need someone to please tell me again how important strength training is for weight loss!! I have always wrestled with my weight and after having 2 children, I'm now 280 lbs and I'm only 5'4". I have a desk job, go to the gym about 3 days per week during my lunch break and drink plenty of water, however, the scales never move. I pretty much keep my calories below 1800 per day. I just can't seem to see any change and it's so discouraging! I keep reading that strength training is the key and I just started incorporating that into my workouts (usually treadmill for 30 minutes at about 2.7 - 3.0 mph with an incline). I'm trying to work with a personal trainer, but I can only do that about once per month because of the cost. I'm always so amazed at the success stories I see on MFP and would like to have my own success story. Please help with any information!!!

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out here, so I don't know a whole lot...but I don't think treadmill counts as strength training, it's cardio. Please someone let me know if I'm wrong!
  • blahblah1990
    Options
    Yep, the treadmill doesn't count as strength training. You can try lifting weights 3 days a week and maybe 2 days of cardio and see how you go? If it's too much, one day should be enough. Make sure you're mostly focusing on eating healthy though since what you eat is more important than how much you exercise :)
  • deeoakes
    deeoakes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes strength training is important as well as for toning. the muscle weighs more than the fat but also burns more calories and work and rest. If you haven't already, I would think about getting a subscription to a magazine like Fitness or Self that have a lot of strength moves monthly you can try at home without weights or with light weights. Of course, the old fashion pushups and sit ups are a great start with squats. But alassonde is right.... incline on the treadmill is not strength training. GL
  • skhny
    skhny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have had really great success doing circuit training type workouts and kick boxing. Try finding Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or biggest loser last chance workouts. Also on YouTube you can find free videos like cafe moms and fitness blender or real hollywood trainer ( I love her workouts but they are hard!). Alot of those do 30sec-1min of cardio then 30sec-1min of strength exercises. You will get a good cardio workout and you can work on strength without weights with things like pushups and the other exercises they do. Also I think my success has come from not eating my exercise calories back. I really do not like to workout and therefore its not worth it to me to eat those calories back. i stick to the range MFP gives me. GOOD LUCK!!
  • skylineprints
    skylineprints Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

I'm new to this site as well but I will share what I have found over the last 6 months of my journey.

Strength training typically involves weights or regiments intended to focus on building muscle, tendon, and bone density. A definition I found that explains it pretty good is this:

"When properly performed, strength training can provide significant functional benefits and improvement in overall health and well-being, including increased bone, muscle, tendon and ligament strength and toughness, improved joint function, reduced potential for injury, increased bone density, increased metabolism, improved cardiac function, and elevated HDL ("good") cholesterol."

Cardio is essential in any exercise plan. Keep that good work up! The addition of strength training is recommended not just because of the benefits listed above but muscle burns more calories than fat. Not to mention, the motion of weight training brings more cardio so just overall, its a good thing.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or bodybuilding.com are good places to start. You can work at your own pace on all of these but they will help you start out. Also, when working with your personal trainer make sure you keep a log of the machines and/or weights and movements you do when you're with them. Then each time you see them work a different muscle group so you can see the proper form and also have new workouts to use when you're by yourself.

There are tons of youtube videos out there and the fitness magazine suggestion are good places start as well. A lot of the magazines use body weight exercises or in-home furniture to achieve the desired workout. There are also tons of MFP threads on lifting so try doing a search in the forums for some good reading material from people who have succeeded. Good luck with whatever route you decide!
  • suejenfb
    suejenfb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just bought Woman's Health Big Book of Exercise that has lots of weight training workouts. I also think 1,800 calories is high for someone trying to loose weight.
  • lorarte
    lorarte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight and activity level. I'm 190lbs and eat 1500-1600 a day and I'm still losing weight.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just bought Woman's Health Big Book of Exercise that has lots of weight training workouts. I also think 1,800 calories is high for someone trying to loose weight.

Depends on the person and their activity level. I eat around 1700-1800 (or more!) each day and still lose. What might be too much for you, might be too little or just right for someone else.
  • sonyatab
    sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your comments!!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that you're eating the right amount? There could be a problem with your goal number. Have you checked your BMR and TDEE on various sites to get a good estimate? You should be eating somewhere in between those two numbers. Are you sure that you're tracking correctly? Are you weighing things or are you using measuring cups? There are large discrepencies between the two methods, and weighing items tends to get you closer to the actual calorie count. Are you tracking absolutely everything you're eating/drinking? There can be a lot of calories you're forgetting about. The amount of food I eat when I taste what I'm cooking or sample things at a supermarket amounts to a light meal, even if I'm being careful. Or a lot of people don't track their dips, ketchup, light spread of mayonnaise, dressing, or oil when cooking.

Weight loss is a science. You need to consume fewer calories than your body burns off from your daily activities. There's no secret trick. Sure, strength training will eventually raise your BMR making it so that you burn more calories while sitting on the couch, but that's just one aspect. If you are currently not losing weight and you say you're doing everything right, there has to be something up. Good luck!
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    still gets me every time people don't understand weight training. You can include circuit training with dumbbells in order to more efficiently lose weight and gain muscle. Cardio alone is just not going to give you any definition or shape your body. You burn more calories after rest when you strength train and it changes your body. It is extremely important and you can include cardio and strength at the same time when you do circuit training another complex exercises. Many folks actually drop cardio all together.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just walking on a treadmill won't help. I am so sorry but when I see that I kind of makes me sad for anyone wasting their time. I am busting my butt running for a mile, and I mean running 6.0, then I lift. I also go at lunch. This is my routine.

Day 1 RUN for a mile- then legs, EVERY leg machine 3 sets of 12 reps on each. I also plank for as long as I can 3 times and then I do back leg lifts for as long as I can.

Day 2 RUN for a mile then every arm machine

Day 3 RUN for a mile Every chest Shoulder Machine and Core again

Day 4 (My weekend day no lunch time crunch) I RUN and RUN and RUN and do core

I only go 3 days I rest on the other days

I am getting strong and the fat is going away.

Good luck!
  • RubixProbz
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the easier it is for you body to lose fat.

I'm a huge advocate for lifting heavy weights and following an IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) diet. Google "IIFYM calculator" if you're looking for what your ideal macros would be based on your caloric intake - fat, carbs, protein.

Don't worry, you won't get big and muscular so get that notion out of your head right now.

Start slow. Some women are intimidated by free weights, so start with machines and work your way to free weights. Do cardio after your strength training so you don't waste all your energy and lift to your full potential.

Keep in mind, however, diet is 90% of weight loss. Working out is only 10% of it all, but it's just as important. Start with machines/free weights 3 days a week (MWF) and do 20-30 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) afterwards - Google this if you don't know what it is. Then use your Tuesdays and Thursdays for straight cardio or more HIIT training.

Trust me, I've lost almost 60lbs with an IIFYM diet paired with heavy strength training and HIIT.

You can do it too!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Just walking on a treadmill won't help. I am so sorry but when I see that I kind of makes me sad for anyone wasting their time. I am busting my butt running for a mile, and I mean running 6.0, then I lift. I also go at lunch. This is my routine.

Day 1 RUN for a mile- then legs, EVERY leg machine 3 sets of 12 reps on each. I also plank for as long as I can 3 times and then I do back leg lifts for as long as I can.

Good luck!

Umm..... Why won't walking on the treadmill help someone out? :huh:

Her level of cardio is fine for someone starting out.

OP

I second looking into New Rules.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I need someone to please tell me again how important strength training is for weight loss!! I have always wrestled with my weight and after having 2 children, I'm now 280 lbs and I'm only 5'4". I have a desk job, go to the gym about 3 days per week during my lunch break and drink plenty of water, however, the scales never move. I pretty much keep my calories below 1800 per day. I just can't seem to see any change and it's so discouraging! I keep reading that strength training is the key and I just started incorporating that into my workouts (usually treadmill for 30 minutes at about 2.7 - 3.0 mph with an incline). I'm trying to work with a personal trainer, but I can only do that about once per month because of the cost. I'm always so amazed at the success stories I see on MFP and would like to have my own success story. Please help with any information!!!

Strength training is not "the key".

A calorie deficit is the key.

Strength training helps maintain lean mass during weight loss, strength training burns extra calories like any other activity, and strength training provides fitness and health benefits. It's a great activity that should be part of everyone's program.

But, to keep things in perspective, lack of strength training is not what is currently keeping you from meeting your goals.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Because she is walking slow and not for very long. If you only have lunch to work out you have to bust your butt to see results!
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Good luck!

OP

I agree I've lost about 80 pounds. My cardio in the beginning was brisk walking. About 4 miles in a hours 4 days a week. Walking a great way to become more physically active. OP you may want to re-evaluate the calories you are eating you may not be eating enough as crazy as that sounds.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises was great when I first started strength training! An obese woman who exercises several times a week should be able to lose weight eating 1800 calories per day, you just have to accurately count what you eat, so make sure you weigh things.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Good luck!

OP

I agree I've lost about 80 pounds. My cardio in the beginning was brisk walking. About 4 miles in a hours 4 days a week. Walking a great way to become more physically active. OP you may want to re-evaluate the calories you are eating you may not be eating enough as crazy as that sounds.

I agree when I was over 200lbs all I did was a 20min walk around the block...that's it. To tell someone who is starting out they aren't doing enough is just well...ridiculous...

The key to weight loss is a calorie deficet and to get that you have to log accurately which means weighing food and logging it all.

weight training has helped me as I hate running or machines...so I lift heavy for my exercise. Any type of resistence training is great tho and will help maintain the muscle.

ETA: New rules is good I've heard but can get complicated...I prefer keeping it simple...I do stronglifts 5x5