Sudden rapid loss?

Options
Recently, I've been losing between 0.5 and 1 lb a week. My calorie goal is set to 1300, but I usually end up somewhere between 1250 and 1280. Please don't lecture me about this; it's been working for me and I've been thriving (but if I need to change, I will). I've been pretty steady diet-wise. I've gotten a bit lazy and haven't done any cardio in the past few weeks, but I've continued lifting 2-3 days a week. I'm suddenly seeing some really rapid weight loss, between 2-3 pounds a week. Has anyone else had something like this happen? What could be causing this?

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    are those net calories? or gross?

ie have you adjusted what you're eating down to compensate for not burning hte calories through cardio?
    if you haven't it may well be that you needed to eat a little more and that cutting hte cardio has reduced your calory deficit to a place where your body is happier
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen to me, usually followed by a plateau of a few weeks.

Over what period of time are we talking about? 1 week? A whole month?
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten better about weighing / measuring your food portions? Perhaps you were previously eating more than you thought.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I say - if you aren't starving yourself or feeling deprived - ROLL WITH IT! Weigh loss is not linear. You are going to have good weeks/months and bad ones. This is a good one! This has been happening to me the last week or so. Every time I weigh myself, I am down another pound. But I know any day now, I might jump up a pound or nothing will happen for a week or two.
  • heh7370
    heh7370 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    are those net calories? or gross?

ie have you adjusted what you're eating down to compensate for not burning hte calories through cardio?
    if you haven't it may well be that you needed to eat a little more and that cutting hte cardio has reduced your calory deficit to a place where your body is happier

This is net calories. I generally would eat back around 85% of my exercise calories.
    I've had the same thing happen to me, usually followed by a plateau of a few weeks.

Over what period of time are we talking about? 1 week? A whole month?

This has been going on for 3 weeks now.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it's the water issues and "whooshes" that Lyle discusses in his article. I know quite a few people that will go through this -- for whatever reason, their bodies hold onto water more and it can mask weight loss and then something happens where the body finally releases it -- and they drop weight very quickly. My guess is that is what is happening. Also, could be some inflammation from chronic cardio -- some are more susceptible to it -- so now that you've cut back on that, you're holding less water for that reason too.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html