This one thing is really bugging me

Options
I have lost 22lb when do I get to buy new clothes I'm sick of purchasing size 18 and I'm going to need some new clothes for my new job! I don't want to buy a new wardrobe at the same size I've been for all these months when I'm losing the weight! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I see posts where people have lost a lot less weight than me and have gone done several dress sizes. I have looked at pictures of me before I started my journey and I was never poored in my clothes they were never to small but I wore them any way.

Replies

• mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Um, while I am probably not the most useful person to be answering this (still pretty early in my weight-displacement project) - perhaps adding some strength-training to the things you are already doing? You are doing awesome, but maybe you just need to coax some of those muscles into tightening up to achieve that clothing size reduction you are after? (Also - make sure you are comparing sizes in the same brand as womens clothing is notoriously varied from brand to brand!)

You can do this!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    ... (still pretty early in my weight-displacement project) ...

LOL! Weight-displacement project, love it! I'll have to remember that one.

I'm with mangorabbit. If you aren't already doing weight or resistance training give it a go. It you're a member of a fitness club or there is a local community centre that has fitness classes, maybe you could book a one-on-one session with a trainer to give you some pointers, exercises to do and show you the correct technique. The last of these (correct technique) is the most important reason for seeing a trainer. If you don't have correct technique you can really injure yourself, even with seemingly simple exercises.
  • bandchick
    Options
    Number one thing I learned with losing weight. If you know your going to just keep losing you are going to waste money if you go to the department stores. I would recommend Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Saint Vincent DePaul. They are second hand stores but you would not believe how many clothes they have that are actually for dress up and they cost you a few bucks. The best time to go is on a Saturday cause some of them will have 99 cent days on that day so you can get an outfit for a few bucks. I have done it and no one notices it. They just tell me that I look great. If you cant handle the second hand stores you can try Marshall's or Gabriel Brothers. They tend to have some really nice clothes that can be 7-10 bucks a piece.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    agree totaly with MsLisaB...technique, technique...until you do an exercise precise you are at risk for injury and really won't get the full benifits of the workout....you won't believe how much more you will ache when you do them "right" versus just guessing and phoneing it in....stay strong loopybec, you are doing a fantastic job....but I truely belive incorporating this weight training will help...
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The weight training was never an option because I simply could not afford a gym pass but my new job has a gym in the scool so I will be on the weight training stuff woohoooo
  • Cornishsal
    Options
    I know for a fact that some high energy exercise like Body Combat combined with weight training will work. Resistance training will increase metabolism which stays increased for a longer period of time than just cardio. Invest in some dumbells and look on the internet for some exercises - or buy one of the Dummies Guide To books. The Davina McCall DVD is brilliant as well for some high energy cardio - but to do it at homes take a lot of discipline - I have to go to a gym as I just don't do it at home!! Good luck, and you have done fantastically well to lose that weight.
  • stephqj
    stephqj Posts: 20
    Options
    Consignment stores will often let you trade in your clothing for store credit. And don't be afraid to find someone to do alterations on your clothes. Often times a good dry cleaner can do them. You might pay $5-15 per piece for the alterations, but that's still much cheaper than buying a whole new wardrobe.

Plus, I;m 5'11, so it's 20-25 pounds between sizes sometimes. Someone who is much shorter has less weight to lose between a 16 and a 14.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22lb when do I get to buy new clothes I'm sick of purchasing size 18 and I'm going to need some new clothes for my new job! I don't want to buy a new wardrobe at the same size I've been for all these months when I'm losing the weight! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I see posts where people have lost a lot less weight than me and have gone done several dress sizes. I have looked at pictures of me before I started my journey and I was never poored in my clothes they were never to small but I wore them any way.

Yeah, similar story here. I've lost 30+ pounds and still generally in the same size! HOW?!! So frustrating! But while I don't see the difference, my husband, friends who haven't seen me in a while all notice that my body composition is changing... So while I'm still waiting for the weight loss "whoooooosh", I hope for you, you will see yours too!
    Hang in there, as frustrating as it may be!
    Personally - I'm holding out for the skinny sizes - just freshen up your style with less expensive items like colorful tops.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes EVERYONE is noticing the difference and mention it alot people I havent seen for a while and people I see once a week are all saying that I am droping weight but I would just like to drop the one dress size for my own piece of mind!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

People carry their weight differently, so you'll drop sizes differently. If you carry a lot of weight in your middle, it will probably be the last to go and will keep you in larger sizes longer. I've also heard that plus sizes have more inches between sizes than misses, so it takes longer to drop a size.

I agree with others who said to add exercise. Toning up your muscles will help get you into smaller sizes more quickly.