Exercise when aching?

Hi,

Yesterday I started 30DS, today my legs are killing me, stairs are an issue!!

I did push myself but thought i was meant to, that that was the point!

Should i take a rest day? I dont want to hurt myself or make anything worse, but i assumed it was an everyday thing. Or should I push thru the pain?

Know the saying no pain no gain but I've always thought no pain...good!!

Replies

• lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    When you start a new exercise routine, you will ache! Work through it and do what you can do whilst keeping the correct form, you should find that it gets easier as the muscles warm up.

That said, listen to your body - if you start to feel pain that feels more like "oh help I think I'm about to injure something" pain, rather than "this is really uncomfortable and I'd rather be sat on my sofa" pain - that is when you need to stop. You will soon learn the difference (and you'll also come to love that ache that comes from a good workout :smile: promise!)

Well done and keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Listen to your body, learn to distinguish the difference between “sore” and “pain”.
    Sore, being that achy, I-didn’t-know-I-had-a-muscle-there feeling.. I personally try to work through that feeling. Not necessarily at the same high intensity, but something to get me moving and get my blood moving to help with recovery.
    However if you are feeling pain, like a sharp pain or something that could be defined as an injury, I wouldn’t recommend working through that.. let your body recover.

Nothing wrong with taking a rest day, the work will be waiting for you when you’re ready to get back at it! 
  • Thank you for the advice

I shall give it a go, not push as hard and see how I get on!

Really dont want to not do it, smacks of giving up after a mere day, but am keen to not hurt myself!

xx
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Even Jillian Michaels says 30DS is not designed to be used every day. Plan in two days off each week, and if you're too sore to do it safely or with as much vigour as you'd like, make one today.
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    If you're super sore and don't feel up to another day of 30DS take a day off, it won't hurt anything, maybe just take an extended walk to warm your leg muscles up and get some kind of exercise in, then jump right back into your normal routine tomorrow. I find that the best cure for being sore is to use those muscles in a less intense way the following day. Not 100% on the science behind that, but it helps me a lot.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    stretch your muscles today and drink lots of water. your muscles need the water to repair themselves. after all this if you are still aching you should be ok, but if you are in pain I would take a rest day. I usually ice right after my work out (which I didn't do yesterday) but hopefully stretching today and walking on my breaks will warm my muscles up and I can get going again after work.
  • Thanks everyone :D xx

I did it, but didn't quite push as hard. I managed ok and feel good for doing it!!

I think my muscles are just going "OI WOMAN!! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!?!" rather than "ow! You're injuring me"!

I've been doing bits like crosstrainer, more dancy exercise vids, walking etc but this is rather more intense so think I just need time and to stick with it so the muscles get used to being used :D

Xx
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Well done! You've just used a bunch of muscles that didn't know they were born until now so you will ache for a couple of days. Soon you'll be craving that burn and looking for new ways to get it (and you'll also learn the sharp, "stop that RIGHT NOW" pain that means injury...)

Two down, 28 to go :smile: