can someone break this down to for me?

Options
Calories Burned
From Normal Daily Activity 1,690 cal/day
Net Calories Consumed*
Your Daily Goal 1,200 cal/day
Daily Calorie Deficit 490 calories
Projected Weight Loss 0.5 kg/week

This is what shows on my goals/home page. Does this mean I need to burn 490 calories a day to reach my MFP goal? or do i burn 1690? It sounds a bit daft saying i need to lose 1690 but I am quite confused by all of this.

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    1690 is what you're burning by just wandering around and living your life. The deficit set for you is 490 meaning that if you eat up to your goal, you will be eating 490 fewer calories than you would be if you wanted to maintain your weight. Just eat to the goal MFP sets you. This includes eating workout calories back if you use their method.
    If this is confusing for you, you can search online to find your TDEE and eat 20% less than that for weight loss - that way you don't have to log your burned workout calories.
  • raholden88
    Options
    The deficit is what they account for you NOT eating from the estimated 1690 your body burns a day just living.

1200 is the number of calories you need to eat a day to lose .5 kg a week, effectively cutting out the 490 a day extra your body would need to maintain your current weight, to do so.
  • mestiza91
    mestiza91 Posts: 51
    Options
    1690 is what you're burning by just wandering around and living your life. The deficit set for you is 490 meaning that if you eat up to your goal, you will be eating 490 fewer calories than you would be if you wanted to maintain your weight. Just eat to the goal MFP sets you. This includes eating workout calories back if you use their method.
    If this is confusing for you, you can search online to find your TDEE and eat 20% less than that for weight loss - that way you don't have to log your burned workout calories.

thankyou! going to try log in my food consistently from now on..

so all of this doesnt account for how much I should try to burn off then? It doesn't suggest how much I should try to burn anywhere does it? Just shows whether I have reached my set targets? am i right?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you eat just to 1200 without exercise then your projected loss is .5 pounds a week.

If you do cardio and log it properly (heart rate monitors are better than the estimations in the database) then you can "eat back" up to the amount you burn and still have the projected loss of 0.5 pounds a week.
  • mestiza91
    mestiza91 Posts: 51
    Options
    If you eat just to 1200 without exercise then your projected loss is .5 pounds a week.

If you do cardio and log it properly (heart rate monitors are better than the estimations in the database) then you can "eat back" up to the amount you burn and still have the projected loss of 0.5 pounds a week.

is it bad if i burn some calories out through a workout and go under 1200 cals? do i HAVE to 'eat back' up to 1200
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

is it bad if i burn some calories out through a workout and go under 1200 cals? do i HAVE to 'eat back' up to 1200

Your body needs fuel. For long term success you want to eat 1200 net. Once and a while you are at 1100 ... oh well. But definitely dont make it a habit.

I eat 1700 calories a day and I'm losing.