Protein Ideas

Options
ils_1231
ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
I'm trying to bump up my protein. I eat yogurt, chia seeds, and recently bought oatmeal with added protein ( although it has a bit of a diet aftertaste so I don't think I'll be buying this again). I try my best, but I'm still lacking daily....

Can I add chia seeds to oatmeal or will that end up with a gross consistency. Aside from adding protein powder, how do you all add protein to your diet?

Replies

• PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I make mine with milk, and swirl in a tablespoon of peanut butter when I am done. That helps me get my oatmeal up to about 19 or 20 g (8g in 2 packets of oatmeal, 8 g in 1 cup skim milk, 3 or 4 g in peanut butter).

I drink a cup of milk with my lunch. Another 8 g of protein, and helps me stay full longer.

In the afternoon, I usually eat a snack of either nuts, or cheese and deli meats for about 14 g of protein.

Seafood is very low in calories and high in protein as well. Do you like eggs? I love having hard boiled eggs around for a high protein snack.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    tofu, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, lentils, quinoa, almonds/peanuts, broccoli, and sunflower seeds are also good add ins for protein.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas. I struggle with my protein too, and that's even after actively trying to bump it up. I feel like I'm eating huge amounts of meat (including fish) and dairy and I'm still struggling to get anywhere near my protein goals. Possibly because I'm not a huge fan of raw nuts, or beans either.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like unsalted mixed nuts for snacks. I also buy frozen edamame beans. They're only 150 calories a package and high in protein. You just pop it into the microwave for 4 minutes and you have a healthy, satisfying snack.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Look at my breakfast today...egg white, low-fat sausage, and cheese. My wife loves it too.
    We actually make it as a scramble-egg/sausage/cheese mixture.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    meat- chicken and steak
    Milk- 2% or whole.
    I add protein powder to my greek yogurt
    cheese is a good option to
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm in for new ideas too.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, yogurt, beef jerky, fish (not fired), nuts (I like almonds or pistachios), Check my food log for additional ideas.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    you can add some from flax, red meat (bison and deer by far leanest), chicken & turkey, fish & seafood (watch out how much due to mercury). everything else I dig into has pretty much been listed except humus.

and like the person above...you're welcome to check my log. it's legit
  • ils_1231
    Options
    meat- chicken and steak
    Milk- 2% or whole.

what protein powder do you use? does it taste good? and sorry to ask ... is it expensive?? I'm on a bit of a budget these days...
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You can have a look at my diary for vegetarian protein ideas :)

Lots of lentils, cheese, eggs, milk, quark
  • ils_1231
    Options

what do you do with quark? is it like labna?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    meat- chicken and steak
    Milk- 2% or whole.

what protein powder do you use? does it taste good? and sorry to ask ... is it expensive?? I'm on a bit of a budget these days...

I use Gold Standard whey- vanilla- I have the "naturals" right now and I effing hate it. I want my regular stuff back- but I can't- gotta use it up first.

I think it's 27-32$ on average depending on where you get it- usually lasts me a few months- but I'm not a die hard I NEED PROTEIN POWDER EVERY DAY kind of user- I use it 4-5 days a week- 1 scoop a day.

you should be able to hit 100 grams easily with out protein powder- milk is a great bang for your buck- I mean that's all protein powder is- dehydrated whey.

edit- did we say eggs? eggs and bacon- amazing. LOL
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Can I add chia seeds to oatmeal or will that end up with a gross consistency.
    I'm interested in the OP's question too. Do Chia Seeds help boost protein?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I do a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 a Yoplait mixed almost daily for a snack.
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My almost daily proteins are: Greek yogurt with chia seeds, peanut butter, cottage cheese, (one or several of these) almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds,

My couple of times a week proteins are: quinoa, lentils, garbanzos, black beans, ground turkey, chicken, Barilla Plus Pastas, beef, prok,
    And i'm sure there are a few other foods but can't think of anymore.

i was surprised how protein packed cottage cheese is, and I usually have it with a lil drizzle of honey and berries, or my new concotion of a spoonful of peanut butter and mashed banana, it's an awesome salty sweet treat.
    Good luck
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I cannot find quark... Someone I follow on instagram uses it frequently and she lives in Germany. :sad:

Do you buy it in the grocery store?
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    other than the obvious like chicken and protein shakes and bars, Greek yogurt, protein granola from Nature Valley and kefir yogurt smoothie are wonderful ways to add more protein.

In a bowl I pour some granola, kefir, blueberries, banana and yum! it ends up being around 35 to 45 grams of protein and its very delicious and filling. Hit me up, I have plenty of ideas as I focus very much on the same :-) good luck and keep up the wonderful work
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    other than the obvious like chicken and protein shakes and bars, Greek yogurt, protein granola from Nature Valley and kefir yogurt smoothie are wonderful ways to add more protein.

In a bowl I pour some granola, kefir, blueberries, banana and yum! it ends up being around 35 to 45 grams of protein and its very delicious and filling. Hit me up, I have plenty of ideas as I focus very much on the same :-) good luck and keep up the wonderful work

I see Kefir everywhere now!
    I'm still scared to try it though!
    I've seen they come in different flavors too.
    What is it?
    Is it like milk? Yogurt? Watery? What on Earth is it?
    I love Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, what type of Kefir would you recommend to try first??
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Can I add chia seeds to oatmeal or will that end up with a gross consistency. Aside from adding protein powder, how do you all add protein to your diet?

I add chia seeds to my oatmeal every day (along with raisins, cinnamon and cocoa powder). Since they absorb water, you need to add more water than you normally would. Do make sure that you mix it well because it can get clumpy.