Fitbit vs. BodyMedia Fit

Options
2»

Replies

• stephanie147595
    Options
    this helps me out also, and I thanky ou all for the replies.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have the link, which is the 'big model' but it's actually not that big and doesn't bug me at all. /shrug/ I suppose some people are self conscious about wearing it, but I can't imagine why. I proudly showed off my fitbit and I proudly show this; I take an active interest in my health and activity and that's what these things represent to me. Not a bit of shame or embarrassment is felt.

Because I don't want a device that shows under literally every piece of clothing I own, I'm self-conscious, ashamed and embarrassed of my active interest in health and activity?

No. I don't think so. When I'm in trial (I'm an attorney), I don't want a big armband showing under my jacket. I go through metal detectors almost every day for work, and the fitbit is extremely easy to take off so I can walk through security; the bodymedia was a pain in the *kitten* to remove several times a day (sidenote: I also choose jewelry that doesn't set off metal detectors). When I'm wearing a strapless dress to a wedding, I'd prefer to accessorize with something other than a fitness device. When I take pictures with my family while we're out hiking in tank tops, I don't want the armband on. I'm not self-conscious about it, I just think it looks stupid and it's highly inconvenient for my active, healthy, professional lifestyle.

So if you "can't imagine why" some people might choose a smaller device with more flexibility in where it can be worn, maybe this will help.

Wow. Just because we're in the same thread doesn't mean I'm talking about you. The size of the BMF is a common complaint and is often followed up with "I don't like having something visible/having other people asking about it."; if you take a few minutes to check out the negative reviews on it that's is, 75% of the time, the exact reasoning. My statement was a general one, pertaining to device and people's issues at large. If it'd been a remark about you (Not that you're even the only one who said they don't like to have it visible in this thread, which you weren't, you're just the only one to assume that makes it about you.) I would have addressed you.

You know, like I'm doing now.

Conclusion: Me think you doth protest too much. Though, I would contend that the bits about not wanting in pictures/not wanting it showing when you wear strapless dresses isn't the best way to go about telling me I'm wrong.

She didn't attack you. My imipression is that she did not feel attacked. Merely wanted to express an answer to your comment about "can't imagine why"...she provided a clear example of why.

No harm no foul
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Hope everyone is having a lovely Tuesday. I was looking into purchasing one of the above to help me track the calories that I burn through out the day. If anyone owns one, what are the pros or cons of each? Which one do you prefer? Likes/dislikes? Any information would be a great help. Thanks! :smile:

I believe the BMF, has a watch that will tell you how many calories you burn, with out plugin into your phone or PC.
  • klisamc
    klisamc Posts: 2
    Options
    The company I work for is providing us with a fitbit, I'm really excited to try it. I just ordered mine yesterday.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have the link, which is the 'big model' but it's actually not that big and doesn't bug me at all. /shrug/ I suppose some people are self conscious about wearing it, but I can't imagine why. I proudly showed off my fitbit and I proudly show this; I take an active interest in my health and activity and that's what these things represent to me. Not a bit of shame or embarrassment is felt.

Because I don't want a device that shows under literally every piece of clothing I own, I'm self-conscious, ashamed and embarrassed of my active interest in health and activity?

No. I don't think so. When I'm in trial (I'm an attorney), I don't want a big armband showing under my jacket. I go through metal detectors almost every day for work, and the fitbit is extremely easy to take off so I can walk through security; the bodymedia was a pain in the *kitten* to remove several times a day (sidenote: I also choose jewelry that doesn't set off metal detectors). When I'm wearing a strapless dress to a wedding, I'd prefer to accessorize with something other than a fitness device. When I take pictures with my family while we're out hiking in tank tops, I don't want the armband on. I'm not self-conscious about it, I just think it looks stupid and it's highly inconvenient for my active, healthy, professional lifestyle.

So if you "can't imagine why" some people might choose a smaller device with more flexibility in where it can be worn, maybe this will help.

Wow. Just because we're in the same thread doesn't mean I'm talking about you. The size of the BMF is a common complaint and is often followed up with "I don't like having something visible/having other people asking about it."; if you take a few minutes to check out the negative reviews on it that's is, 75% of the time, the exact reasoning. My statement was a general one, pertaining to device and people's issues at large. If it'd been a remark about you (Not that you're even the only one who said they don't like to have it visible in this thread, which you weren't, you're just the only one to assume that makes it about you.) I would have addressed you.

You know, like I'm doing now.

Conclusion: Me think you doth protest too much. Though, I would contend that the bits about not wanting in pictures/not wanting it showing when you wear strapless dresses isn't the best way to go about telling me I'm wrong.

She didn't attack you. My imipression is that she did not feel attacked. Merely wanted to express an answer to your comment about "can't imagine why"...she provided a clear example of why.

No harm no foul

It certainly came across as offended, but then I suppose when I want to explain things I just go "Actually, here are some reasons." not so much 'No, I'm not any of these things and if you don't get that maybe this will help."

But certainly no harm no foul, from my end at least.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love my Body Media Fit. There is a small monthly subscription fee.. . . .$7, I think. ... .but well worth the cost for all of the data it gives.

It is not the most attractive thing to wear but I don't mind people asking about it. The device "learns" the more you wear it, so if you forget to put it on it is still tracking your calories based on your past history. Obviously if I was dressing up for a formal event, I'd leave it at home.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone has different lifestyles. Some of us can sport our super cool love of fitness on our shoulder (or arm, in this case) all day, some of us have to don business clothes and look sharp and professional all day.

I have to wear business clothes, but as soon as I get home that **** comes off and I put on my workout gear, so I can really sympathize with both ladies. I like looking sporty but the reality is business attire 40 hours a week except for vacation.

Ya'll are making me want one of these things though.

My boyfriend tried and tried to get me a pedometer but i was like "NO! I will not wear it. I will not clip anything to my pants! I am a woman with lovely hips and a far from utilitarian business wardrobe, then I put on yoga pants when I get home. Not clipping anything to the waist. Find me one that goes on my wrist, or somewhere else, arm etc.."

Hmmm...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Taking this a little too personally, don't you think?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I had a fitbit. I now have a bodymedia. While they are similar devices they are not the same, so it really is about what you want.

Fitbit tracks steps and gives a calorie estimate based on that. If that's all you want it for, then carry on.

The Bodymedia tracks steps and activity independent of steps.This is, for me, a better option because most of my dedicated work outs pertain to weight lifting, something my fitbit didn't track. The BMF does track it (Which is to say it gives me calories/moves up my activity level even though my steps don't go up). To me that's pretty damn valuable.

To you it may not be.

To add on to this -

Most devices only have 1 type of sensor while the BodyMedia Fit has 5..which allows it to have greater accuracy in readings than most other devices. And the BMF Link is bluetooth enabled so you can get real time updates on your phone or computer. It also is able to enter sleep mode without any pushing of buttons and registers different activity levels - not just counting steps.

Also, $7/month for the data you receive seems pretty worth it (note, you get the first 3 or 6 months free). I've had game subscriptions that were double and triple the amount and I pay for Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and Netflix for additional entertainment purposes. If I'm willing to do that, then I think paying $7/month for something that would benefit my progress health wise is worth it. If I were hurting that bad financially, I'd be more than happy to give up Netflix for the subscription.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The company I work for is providing us with a fitbit, I'm really excited to try it. I just ordered mine yesterday.

really? omg what kind of job do you have?!?! I want!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

really? omg what kind of job do you have?!?! I want!!

Just a heads up..make sure it's the Flex and not the Force. The Force has been recalled because too many people were having allergic reactions to the nickle in the band.
  • gtalton
    gtalton Posts: 4
    Options
    I will likely be returning this BodyMedia Link tomorrow ... I've only had it 3-4 days but I can't get it to read my calories burned even close to where it should be. Right now it's usually reading about 40% of the calories burned versus simple heart rate calculations. For example, I'm 46, weigh 160 and over the 6 treadmill workouts my average heart rate was 135 for 90 minutes that's over 1100 calories .. this device is showing about 400 calories burned and that's after I purposely added several inches to my height profile to help compensate .... tell me where this is remotely correct? I have used several calorie counters this is just one I used. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and love it but I have a new reason to love it.

I lost my FitBit , searched everywhere for it, found it and it had been run over by a car. I e-mailed FitBit and even though it was clear as day MY fault it died they are sending me a brand new one for FREE. I do not even have to pay for shipping! If you can prove you purchased it within a year they give you a free one even if you lost it. If it's been over a year they give you one for 50% off. Now that is customer service!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that Fitbit connects through Bluetooth Smart, while BodyMedia connects through regular Bluetooth...so if you have an older phone, you won't be able to sync it with the Fitbit. I have a Droid Razr Maxx, so I'm leaning toward the BodyMedia as I prefer having the phone connectivity.
  • Love62
    Love62 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've always used a Polar HRM, but I'm now using a Fitbit Flex and absolutely love it! Easy to use, syncs to MFP and comfortable to wear on the wrist. I returned my Polar HRM after only a day. Too bulky. I love how Fitbit keeps me motivated with emails, text messages and lights up/vibrates when I reach my step goal. Love this thing, I even have several other wristbands in different colors.