This is a bit overwhelming

Options
I'm not trying to make excuses, I really intend on seeing this through. To take some initiative, I've removed caffeine from my diet and started getting my sleeping schedule back in check. Eating breakfast for once and making sure it's in the OK, like eggs and oatmeal. Oh, and calorie watching of course. The issue is, I live in a big family. A big family with a tight budget. We can't really afford to switch up the diet or buy extra food for me when there are 7 other people to consider. Only 2 of our range burners are working, so that's also kind of difficult to work with. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this dieting issue and further.

Since I can't go to a gym, my plan is to start running. I found some old running shoes I could try out. After getting into the grove of running, I thought I'd start doing crunches, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Likely some exercises to fix my posture as well. What I want to know is, is this enough to start with? Taking into consideration my diet and inability to go to a gym. I'd just like to slim down some, but maybe my plans will aim higher once I reach that goal.

Replies

• amandarenay1985
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Starting anywhere is better than not starting at all. You said you can't afford to buy special food just for you, and that's ok, just limit your portions to cut calories. Walking, running, working out at home like you said, those are all great ways to get started. Don't get overwhelmed, just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. That is what has worked for me so far, Im doing the same things as you- working out at home and just watching what Im eating, counting calories and no junk food! It may take a little longer but it will pay off! Good luck :)
    8624515.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kpiva
    kpiva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, it can be very over whelming at times I totally agree. I am in a similar situation financially and can not afford a different meal than my husband. I really started focusing on little changes, cutting back here and there gradually reducing the massive amount of calories I was eating. Portion control like mentioned. Gradually started sneaking in "better" food choices for the both of us. I just started walking once a week and increased when I felt like it. The diet I think is the most important change you can make. It has been slow but very rewarding. Focus on one day at a time. I added a home zumba dvd and love it. Be patient if I can do this ANYONE can.
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Congrats on taking the step to join MFP. This is a great community full of support, it has definitely helped keep me on track. I don't workout in a gym, all of the exercise I do is walking or workout videos in the comfort of my living room. Here are the links to a few of the workouts I have been doing:

Kickboxing, 45 mins with very short breaks for water - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLcBs94hP14&list=PLfAP-hWHt-Tn5m1gGiWi1yF4US_D8jxjX

Dancing, 1 hour, 28 mins with breaks for water -

I'm open to new friend requests, I've got over 50 lbs to lose and believe a strong support system is essential.
  • karentalty
    karentalty Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As I am brand new too I would suggest you make small changes and remember every little helps! Cooking from scratch is helping me and it's amazing how many dishes can be done in 1 pot and the oven!

Also take up a challenge like a squat challenge or a plank challenge-no gym required and you can do them before you have breakfast and you're on to a winner!

Add me if you want some moral support
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is a firm commitment to see it though. You don't need any special foods unless directed by your doctor, nutritionist, and dietitian. This site is all you need to lose weight. Set up your profile and log everything (food, exercise, water, and measurements) as accurately as possible. Walking is a great way to start. Search online for more exercises you could do at home.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I totally get not having all the resources to get better foods. But you know what, you can lose weight eating anything. As long as you are in a deficit. Make the better options when they are available.

Any and all exercise is good exercise.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maybe try just making one change at a time. It sounds like you're already off to a great start. Counting up the calories you are eating now will give you a good idea where you can make improvements. i.e. instead of making a different meal for you, could you eat a smaller portion of what your family is eating and add a healthy salad or steamed vegetables? I find those steam in bag frozen vegetables that you steam in the microwave are great to add to dinner to bulk up a smaller portion without adding a ton of calories.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
  • 1mountainmama
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU! I have lots of sources for you, as I am a health and fitness coach for large groups of people that are often on a limited budget. You need something, just ask me! Here are some links to sites that have FREE cardio and strength training workout if you want to change it up a bit. You don't need expensive shoes or expensive food. Just use your common sense and don't go out running too overboard in not-so-great shoes. Start slowly and listen to your body. You will be better off in the long run with healthy lifestyle changes that fit into YOUR lifestyle, anyway. LOG your food and exercise and just get better week by week. Don't set unrealistic goals for yourself and you will not be overwhelmed. In a few months, you won't believe how far you have come. Extra Easy Follow-Along Cardio

1. “Exercise TV: Start walking at home 3 miles with Leslie Sansone” (45 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRScb2l4Z4g

A great video to start with: Walk 3 miles in your living room and enjoy every step!

2. “Walk away the pounds with Leslie Sansone” Equivalent 3 miles (45 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnB9rDRrCM

Variations on marching, set to music. Repeated simple patterns. Can use small hand weights, if desired.

Beginner Cardio Dance

1. “Burn Fat Fast: Cardio Workout” Denise Austin (20 minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILstcZ78nc

Simple, easy to follow. Basic moves- fun and a little sassy!

2. Denise Austin: Total Body Burn Cardio Dance Workout (30 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSsnxx_r2N0&noredirect=1

This one has a few more dance steps. Follow along and burn some calories!

Beginning Cardio + Strength

1. “30-Minute Cardio – the CafeMom Studios Workout” (30 minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwXzXpmwFG4

Basic cardio and strength combination. Includes modification options if it’s too hard for you at first!

Continuing Cardio + Strength

“Bodyweight Cardio Calorie-Blaster” (30 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPTeuiy0fpo

Combination moves, modifications offered. Intermediate to Advanced. I recommend putting on music YOU like while doing this since the video doesn’t include any!
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Could you perhaps get the whole family to buy into a healthier diet and more active lifestyle?
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    When it comes to food, it sounds like your portions will need to be more important than what you are making. If you eat the same food as the rest of your family measure out one serving. Also, if you make vegetables, give yourself a big serving of veggies and a smaller serving of the other foods. You don't need to buy extra food, you just need to eat the right amount of what you already have.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of changes all at once. If you're feeling overwhelmed, perhaps consider addressing just one at a time for a few weeks each.

As for "healthier" food, while it is certainly important to have good nutrition, it isn't essential for weight loss (and the increased health from this change alone). Track your calories consistently and accurately (by weighing and measuring).

Work with the changes you can most easily make now without being an undue burden on the rest of your family...and then go from there.

Best of luck.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless the family foods are just awful, all you need to do is eat less of it than before. And perhaps some of that could be less healthy items.

Use MFP not for tracking daily eating calories, but finding what in current diet would equal about 250 calories that you could then stop eating.

If you didn't need breakfast before, you still don't need it. If eating breakfast keeps you from pigging out at lunch, then a good idea.
    If it just adds on more calories you need to adjust from somewhere else - forget it, don't eat it.

Don't worry, it doesn't "wake up" or "kick start" your metabolism in the morning, that is going already. And the increase in metabolism you get from processing food is going to happen no matter when you do it.

Then find enough exercise to do weekly that burns 1750 calories, whether that be some daily, or 3 or 4 x weekly, whatever adds up to 1750.

Cutting 250 out daily, and adding 250 of exercise on avg daily - creates a 1 lb weekly loss.

Without the difficulties you are contemplating - which yes could be very difficult.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track! As the earlier posts suggested, you don't have to belong to a gym. Walk around your neighborhood, if there is a highschool close by, unilize the track! Plenty of work-out exercises on-line. In regards to food, just try to have smaller portions and try to start making "small" changes in the choices of meals for you and your family. You'll do just fine!!!
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to make excuses, I really intend on seeing this through. To take some initiative, I've removed caffeine from my diet and started getting my sleeping schedule back in check. Eating breakfast for once and making sure it's in the OK, like eggs and oatmeal. Oh, and calorie watching of course. The issue is, I live in a big family. A big family with a tight budget. We can't really afford to switch up the diet or buy extra food for me when there are 7 other people to consider. Only 2 of our range burners are working, so that's also kind of difficult to work with. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this dieting issue and further.

Since I can't go to a gym, my plan is to start running. I found some old running shoes I could try out. After getting into the grove of running, I thought I'd start doing crunches, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Likely some exercises to fix my posture as well. What I want to know is, is this enough to start with? Taking into consideration my diet and inability to go to a gym. I'd just like to slim down some, but maybe my plans will aim higher once I reach that goal.

Welcome to MFP and Congratulations on taking control of your lifestyle! Here is what helps me consistently stay on track:
    1. Support. Try to get friends who are similar to your age and have about the same to lose as you do.
    2. Eat. Try to eat 3 main meals a day and 2 snacks a day. Breakfast Snack Lunch Snack Dinner. It's a puzzle and you can do it. For a 1400 calorie diet try to keep snacks under 100 calories, a piece of fruit or light yogurt. Main meals should be balanced with a protein and some veggies and maybe a starch if you have enough calories.
    3. Measure. Try to measure everything you eat. If you don't have a scale, invest in one, they don't cost that much, less than $10. It will help you calculate how many calories you are eating.
    4. Exercise. Find an exercise you enjoy doing and do it every day. You don't have to go to the gym. You can get weights at Walmart for cheap or you can take two cans of veggies to start off with, or two half gallon jugs and fill with water to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or full for your weightlifting exercises. Just try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio exercises daily and if you want to add strength training try to do that every other day to let your muscles heal in between.

Good Luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I agree: you are totally on the right track. Eat what you have at your calorie limit. Get in 30 minutes of exercise a day. Once you are doing that regularly (or are experiencing some challenges with it), you will have a better idea about what your next steps will need to be.

The best results are found through slow changes and consistency.
  • cnegron40
    Options
    The key thing here is that you are taking action. Trying to do too much can lead you to not continue.
    You have been given plenty advise above, so all I wanted to say was that in taking action...that my friend
    is a good start.

Keep moving, keep improving.
  • Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on making the decision to start.
    You dont need a lot of money to lose weight. You just need to sit down and talk to your parents,Im assuming you still live at home. And maybe make a list of foods that you could maybe cut back on and foods that you could add. Adding veggies into the household is always a good thing for everyone involved. Cuttin g out the chips and cookies will also help all that live in the household. But I know how difficult it is to get everyone to conform to your changes so it may just be you that cuts back.
    Its not easy when others in the home are snacking on junk food or whatever, but you can do it. The first week or two are the hardest because you have to get your body adjusted to the change.
    As for your exercises, why dont you start with walking instead of running? Running is very hard on the joints. Thats not to say that running isnt good, its just that if you start by walking you can build up your stamina before you take the next step to running.
    Whatever you decide we will support you along the way.