Chicken Chow Mein Stir Fry - is this healthy?

Options
I recently made a lovely chicken chow mein stir fry - can anyone advise me how healthy this is?

I used:
* 2 asda chicken breasts - 252 calories
* Blue Dragon chow mein stir fry sauce - 108 calories
* Blue Dragon Quick Wok Noodles (medium) - 582 calories
* 2 Garlic cloves - 8 calories
* 1 Medium onion - 46 calories
* 2 mushrooms - 8 calories
* spring onions - 4 calories
Total Calories: 1008
Served me and my partner

= 504 calories each
69 carbs
5 fat
40 protein

It was really tasty but not sure how healthy it is!! any advice?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Why don't you plug it in to the recipe section, and it can tell you a lot more.
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    I recently made a lovely chicken chow mein stir fry - can anyone advise me how healthy this is?

I used:
    * 2 asda chicken breasts - 252 calories
    * Blue Dragon chow mein stir fry sauce - 108 calories
    * Blue Dragon Quick Wok Noodles (medium) - 582 calories
    * 2 Garlic cloves - 8 calories
    * 1 Medium onion - 46 calories
    * 2 mushrooms - 8 calories
    * spring onions - 4 calories
    Total Calories: 1008
    Served me and my partner

= 504 calories each
    69 carbs
    5 fat
    40 protein

It was really tasty but not sure how healthy it is!! any advice?

that seems like alot of calories for dinner to me...i keep mine around 350-400......depends what your caloric intake is. Where did you get those numbers? I like to enter my recipies on here (tab is under FOOD) and checking the numbers. But if the one you listed are accurate, then be it. It does sound good though, if it were me, id cut down on the noodles and add more veggies. What was the sodium count on it?
  • rachel802003
    Options
    That seems quite a lot for the sauce and noodles. When I make stir fry I use Waitrose own noodles which are 388 calories per packet, so it might be worth a look round at some different makes.

You could maybe try using soy sauce and spices (I love five spice in stir fries) rather than a sauce to cut down a bit too?

Did you definitely not use any oil to fry anything? :)
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    You could maybe try using soy sauce and spices (I love five spice in stir fries) rather than a sauce to cut down a bit too?

When picking up soy sauce be sure to check the sodium content. It's nearly PURE sodium, and too much can cause you to bloat. Even a low sodium soy sauce is high in sodium, but it's a better alternative.

GL.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I recently made Sesame chicken with a recipe that called for Chinese five spice but I couldn't find it in the store! Do you know where I could purchase this? I looked at our local store called Dillons- It's a Kroger store. Thanks!!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've found that making the stuff myself is a ton tastier and I cut down on a lot added junk. I think the noodles and the sauce, like others have suggested, are your downfall here. I'd aim to make the bulk of your meal meat and veggies, not noodles. Not to mention the noodles are most likely refined flour stripped of nutrients.

With that said, you could easily add a ton of great tasty veggies, bok choy, broc, carrots, peppers, waterchestnuts, asparagus...that'll fill you up with flavor and nutrients that the sauce and noodles can't and won't supply. If you want some noodles, then add some, but don't use them to fill you up.

When I make stir fry I'll simply use this for my sauce: soy sauce, dried ginger, sriracha, red pepper flakes, garlic and onion powders. You don't need a ton to get good flavor.

So simple response to your question: is this healthy? doubtful.

Asian food isn't UNhealthy, it's just the American/Westernization of it that's made it bad. You don't have to not eat this type of dish, just work on making it better. :)

Edit to add: check out Udon and Soba noodles too. Yums!
  • rachel802003
    Options

I recently made Sesame chicken with a recipe that called for Chinese five spice but I couldn't find it in the store! Do you know where I could purchase this? I looked at our local store called Dillons- It's a Kroger store. Thanks!!

Hi Kimberly - I'm in the UK so not too sure where you can get it - most of the supermarkets here stock it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://chinesefood.about.com/cs/sauces/ht/fivespicepowder.htm

It really is just a blend of five spices. You can make it yourself (link to recipe above) The extra labour is worth the taste.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    I would swap out the noodles for these noodles, a whole package has 40 cals.
    http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx
    i get mine at meijer and at a local health food store