I need help from the quitters

Options
kytte
kytte Posts: 323 Member
I quit smoking a month ago, the same time that I had left my job and moved out of state, and packed on 6 lbs. It's enough to make a huge difference on me and it makes me feel sick. Realizing that some of it was mindless snacking I tried to cut back on that too and take up exercising. That wasn't enough, I gained another 2 lbs and grew visibly fatter, so it's not muscle weight.
So I started logging on MFP again AND increased my exercise, repeatedly injuring myself every time I try harder. I know that part of my problem is that I now lack that stimulant to..um..get things moving, but for how long does this kind of thing last? What else can I possibly do to shed these post-smoke pounds? It's so depressing I'd almost rather smoke again because, to quote a friend of mine, "it's easier to ignore the fact that my lungs are blackening than it is to ignore my clothes not fitting right."

Replies

• Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Firstly, woo for quitting! That's probably the best thing you could do for you physical health. I went down the route of carrot sticks, celery etc as replacement snacks for smokes. I think the trouble I had was fixating. I felt I had to replace the cigarettes with something, I didn't! It's about breaking habits. I'm not into self help books at all but Allan Carr's EasyWay book really helped me.

Secondly, if you're injuring yourself exercising you need to rest to recouperate. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to do everything at once. You've quit smoking - be happy with that! Next just plan you meals. Really look at what you're eating and if you still feel the need to snack not smoke leave yourself some additional calories.

Swimming is great exercise for ex-smokers. Does wonders for the lungs (I'm an asthmatic to boot - yes, I'm not the smartest of people...) and it's low impact so less chance of injury. Chin up and stay positive :)
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    when my mum quit she swore by lolly pops. i know they're full of sugar, but for her it was the habit of having something in her mouth all the time that was causing her a lot of trouble. you can get sugar free ones too. and you can't eat snacks while you're sucking on a lolly.

as for me i can't imagine ever being at the point that i want to quit right now, so kudos to you
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Lack of a stimulant to - 'get things going' can be addressed by adding a teaspoon of linseed to your porridge/ yoghurt, smoothies or salads. :wink:

Well done on giving up the cigs - I gave up 14 months ago - used ecigs to help but now I don't use them either. Any side effects of quitting will soon pass.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Most of it is in your head. You just need an oral fixation and if you aren't smoking, you are eating.

Try chewing gum. Sugarfree-0 calorie gum.

Congrats on quitting. I have not yet tackled this...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Most of it is in your head. You just need an oral fixation and if you aren't smoking, you are eating.

Try chewing gum. Sugarfree-0 calorie gum.

Congrats on quitting. I have not yet tackled this...

Ditto for this too...when I quit the last time I had gum and sugar free candy...

I have yet to tackle this again too....we will see

Congrats on the quitting.
  • kytte
    Options
    Lack of a stimulant to - 'get things going' can be addressed by adding a teaspoon of linseed to your porridge/ yoghurt, smoothies or salads. :wink:

Well done on giving up the cigs - I gave up 14 months ago - used ecigs to help but now I don't use them either. Any side effects of quitting will soon pass.

Linseed...that's a new one I haven't heard. I will try it. Other similar suggestions appreciated as well. Thank you :)
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    It's awesome that you quit smoking! I used to chew on straws when I quit. It's kind of gross, but that's what worked for me.
  • kytte
    Options
    when my mum quit she swore by lolly pops. i know they're full of sugar, but for her it was the habit of having something in her mouth all the time that was causing her a lot of trouble. you can get sugar free ones too. and you can't eat snacks while you're sucking on a lolly.

as for me i can't imagine ever being at the point that i want to quit right now, so kudos to you

I can't do the candy, my teeth can't handle it. :frown:
  • kytte
    Options
    I'm really past the oral fixation issue, honestly, it's not the problem anymore. The problem is that I feel like I'm doing everything and seeing no results.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking decades ago ....... it's one of my finest accomplishments !

Good for you ....... and when you get the hungries, make sure you've got PLENTY of healthy foods in the house to fall back on ......

Focus & planning ...... one meal at a time ...... one day at a time :drinker:
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting smoking!! I will be a non-smoker 9 years come this August so I know the struggle. Just getting to the gym or outside on the sidewalk is the first step. If you can promise yourself you'll do 30 minutes of exercise a day then you can promise yourself some sort of reward because of those accomplishments. It might initially take a while for your body to realize that you aren't going to be constantly putting somehting in your mouth. Once it catches up you'll be able to drop weight. Eating 1200 calories a day and working out 30 minutes a day (eating back whatever calories you burn) is proven to work. Remember to reward yourself with whatever little indulgences you enjoy! Do not deprieve yourself of anything. You deserve treats after quitting such a nasty habit. Spend your "carton money" on something special for yourself, like running shoes or a new jump rope. Once you get into this new exercise habit you will feel amazing!!
    Way to go!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Linseed...that's a new one I haven't heard. I will try it. Other similar suggestions appreciated as well. Thank you :)

Coconut oil. A tbs or two of that, especially when followed by coffee can get you going. Of course, it all depends on your macro goals. Two tbs of oil is a lot of fat, if you're watching that. Still, I've been known to put it in my coffee (I am a high-fat / low-carb tard) and two TBS of that and a TBS of butter... combined with the caffeine... I have a regularly scheduled appt. within the hour.
  • econista
    econista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey a little over a month ago, and while I did gain 5lbs in the first week or so, I have taken it off now and am working toward hitting my ideal weight again with a mod carb (20%), high fat(50%), high protein (30%) diet and 75 min daily of exercise incorporated into my day (biking for transport everywhere I go all the time, running with a couch to 5k interval app and NTC workouts - doing a 4 week program, with whatever i think I need added). My actual consumption looks more like 35%carb, 50% fat, 15% protein though - struggling to find vegan low carb, high protein foods that meet my very picky pallet's requirements !

Once i got the smoking under control i started using the Nike Training Club app again - it's free and easy to use, yet delivers amazing workouts that yield visible results in as little as a week if you apply yourself! (try to just do what you can without hurting yourself - these moves can be hard but can also be modified to be a bit easier at first. Use the menu to chose appropriate workouts based on your fitness level and desired results. Work 1-2 different muscle groups each day, every day. I do legs and back one day and arms and abs the next day. this way each group gets a rest day between workouts but i get a workout every day (which is like taking antidepressants without any side effects!)

Working out makes me want to smoke less, and looking at the results makes me happy. The other really important part is to eat real food instead of processed and pre-made foods, and to get good sleep. Sleep, Exercise and Diet are generally the biggest influences on one's overall health, so fix those and most everything else will fall into place.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to congratulate you on quitting, I'm going on almost 3 years smoke free. I wish I had advice to offer to help you through, but I quit when I found out I was pregnant and obviously that made abstaining a no-brainer.
  • kytte
    Options
    I gave up smoking decades ago ....... it's one of my finest accomplishments !

Good for you ....... and when you get the hungries, make sure you've got PLENTY of healthy foods in the house to fall back on ......

Focus & planning ...... one meal at a time ...... one day at a time :drinker:

i read "back on" as "bacon". :noway:
  • kytte
    Options

Coconut oil. A tbs or two of that, especially when followed by coffee can get you going. Of course, it all depends on your macro goals. Two tbs of oil is a lot of fat, if you're watching that. Still, I've been known to put it in my coffee (I am a high-fat / low-carb tard) and two TBS of that and a TBS of butter... combined with the caffeine... I have a regularly scheduled appt. within the hour.

I'd be willing to try the coconut oil and coffee on occasion but not too often. Thank you :drinker:
  • kytte
    Options
    I just wanted to congratulate you on quitting, I'm going on almost 3 years smoke free. I wish I had advice to offer to help you through, but I quit when I found out I was pregnant and obviously that made abstaining a no-brainer.

That's how I quit the last time for 3 years as well, then things got tense at home and I started a job and I picked up again.
    Congrats on your accomplishment as well. :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to try the coconut oil and coffee on occasion but not too often. Thank you :drinker:

It's good stuff, once you get over the mental hurdle of the combination. If you put the oil in your coffee, blend it in a blender before you drink it. It will come out creamy and foamy, like a latte. Not greasy and oily, like you'd expect.