Where do u grocery shop and why?

Options
123457»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Paper, cleaning supplies, and stuff like that I buy from Family Dollar.
    May-October all fruits and vegetables are purchased at the farmer's market.
    Nov-April I shop at Kroger or Whole Foods for fruits and vegetables.
    For meats and dry goods I usually shop at Whole Foods as I usually don't buy but what I need at the time (I make good of the bulk bins lol)...for example 8oz of ground beef here, 2 links of sausage there, etc...
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hannaford! Because it's the only grocery store in my town, and I love the people and store brand products they have. I like the store brand of just about everything at Hannaford better than a real brand. I eat Hannaford cereal, yogurt, oatmeal etc. not because it's cheaper but because it tastes better! Hannaford also has a great organic and GF section, whereas other places like my local Walmart, don't have that.

Occasionally I stop by Aldi to buy fruits and veggies that look okay, since Aldi is a lot cheaper than Hannaford.

Walmart is too hectic for me. And they don't carry half the products I like to buy on a regular basis, so if I go there I end up having to go somewhere else after. Not a big fan of Wally World.

Wegmans is amazing!!! There's one about an hour from my place, so I don't go there often, but when I do, they have the best selection of any place I shop at and always have the most unique goods. Plus they have an amazing sushi bar if I'm hungry. :wink:
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I have a local chain of organic grocery stores that ranks as one of the top grocery stores in the U.S. for food quality - Mom's Organic Market. Not only is the produce department 100% organic (yes, that was 100%), but they also work hard to source as locally as possible which means fresher ingredients.

They also have a very long list of ingredients that they won't allow through the doors, which means I don't have to worry too much if I buy something on impulse and don't read the label. I don't think there is an artificial coloring in the entire store, and lots of other ingredients that are hard to avoid (like MSG going by too many names to remember) just aren't available.

The downside is that when I do come into contact with mainstream foods, they often taste so awful that I can't eat them, not that I'd want to anyway.

I do have to stop off at Whole Foods on the way home every once in a while though, because the organic store is so small, limited shelf space really does limit how much they can offer.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I get my produce at Aldi (sometimes Trader Joe's if I'm in the cities) because it's cheap and it lasts the longest. I get things I can't get at Aldi and protein sources at my hometown grocery store (Family Fresh) because I get a discount with my student ID and they give me gas coupons. Ocassionally, I'll veer from my norm like Trader Joe's but that's generally what I do. During the summer of course I prefer the farmers market or growing my own if I can.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Once every couple of months we hit Costco to bulk buy all the nonperishable goods we use a lot.

We do a weekly online shop at Tesco which we get delivered. The nearest big supermarket is a 30 minute drive away so it is more cost effective to get it delivered, plus we are on a tight budget and shopping online means we don't fill our trolley with all those impulse buys!

If I am in the city I like to stock up on vegetarian food from Sainsbury as they stock a much wider choice of quorn etc.
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    safeway weekly - only vegetable i eat nearly daily is baby spinach and their's is good enough, i also eat their carrot sticks and brocolli slaw, i like gettig canned stuff here and costco and i do not eat much meat at home
    costco monthly - eggs galore!
    and 1-2 a month farmers market for eggplants and other veggies super cheap
    I cook or broil them all the weekend I get them and foil wrap
    I work a lot so it is nice to have half cooked stuff ready to go

my household is just me right now.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Online, because it's a waste of time to go to the supermarket and pick what I need around the aisles - I already know what I want, no need to look at everything. Also since we don't own a car, it's helpful since this way we don't have to carry all our groceries.

When I'm done with uni I think I'll shop for everything at the green grocer and buy legumes and grains in bulk (that's something we're doing already). The produce is better and cheaper, and I'd still rather support a small business.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I shop in a slightly expensive store, which gets me a lot of disapproval from other people, seeing as I'm a poor student, and it seems there is a rule that students MUST live off dollar store food.

The reason I shop there, though, is because I don't actually believe it's that expensive: They have their own discount brand, where they have all sorts of everyday items. At discount shops, sure, you can get really good deals sometimes, but if you try to do your everyday shopping there, so often they will have run out of the stuff you need, or they will only have one brand of an item per week, so you are sometimes forced to buy an expensive brand. At the expensive store, they always have a couple of diffrent brands of stuff, and they never run out.

I still watch for good deals at the discount shops, especially for more expensive items that I like to indulge with - frozen fruit is a recent example, I pay $4 for a bag normally, but last week it was adverized in the discount shop for only $1.50 - stocking up! :D
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Walmart for mostly everything, I hate shopping there, but their prices are good. Raley's for their produce(their fruits and veggies are always so good!) and sometimes their meat. Sam's Club for paper products and things I want to buy in bulk. I use to shop at Albertsons and the one by my house closed years ago, I miss it!!