Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mental Hurdles and Breathing as a Beginner Runner

2»

Replies

• I sing along with my music(quietely of course)....when i struggle to sing along I know i'm going too fast
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Thank you! I do count my breaths. Usually 4/4 or sometimes it's 2/2. I do find when I just go as in not think about the cycles or the mins it is much better. And I do already a lot of your suggestions as in say a sentence and etc.

When I'm in the group on Saturdays doing our next week's "homework" it is not so bad. I actually chit chat with a couple of others some. I think it's just the part of I am doing it alone during the week and am a perfectionist.

I haven't yet taken to music as I run in the neighborhood and like to be aware of my surroundings but I will download some music to my phone and use one ear bud as see if it helps.

I like the "never give up" on the shoes. congrats on your success thus far. :) I was telling myself today, "you can do it. you have already done it three other times." :) And replaying the mantra I heard from somewhere else of "Just finish".

Thank you again. Any other tips and tricks you want to share is welcome. Thank you for the encouragement as well. :))
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    One thing that I used was that "if I didn't complete the run, then I would have to repeat it again". During the end or the last set, I would tell myself, "Do you want to stop now and then have all the running you've done, so far today, not count, or do you want to complete the run." That usually helped me keep on task and get it done. I found that the threat of having to repeat it, kept me going. Just a mental trick that was useful for me.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    I quit taking it too seriously. my goal was getting to a 10k distance, then a half marathon. Yup, I walked when necessary (I can't drink and run at the same time anyways). I got there, especially after I didn't focus on the time but on myself anymore.
    having said that, I am a solo runner, I mess up my speed even when there's just another person in sight :-p and don't get me started on music, my pace was all over when I had my playlist on shuffle.
    In the end, c25k taught me to breathe properly, and counting my breaths, if I find I am breathing g too quickly, I know I am going too fast.
    How do I motivate myself to finish the last interval? Easy, how else am I getting home? :tongue:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I like the "never give up" on the shoes. congrats on your success thus far. :) I was telling myself today, "you can do it. you have already done it three other times." :) And replaying the mantra I heard from somewhere else of "Just finish".

I went from a non-runner to running a half marathon in a year and constantly used the "you've already done it" and "just think about all the things you've already done that you told yourself you couldn't do."
  • tammylwv
    [quote/]
    I went from a non-runner to running a half marathon in a year and constantly used the "you've already done it" and "just think about all the things you've already done that you told yourself you couldn't do."
    [/quote]

Awesome job! :)
  • likitisplit
    There's still a part of me that will never believe that I will ever be able to run. The difference is that part of me is in a box somewhere, not in the driver's seat. I'm actually beginning to appreciate her, since she reminds me of how far I've come ;)

You'll get there too.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    I find distractions. If i think about my breathing then I find I feel more out of breath and pant more. I listen to music, enjoy being outside looking at stuff or even do mental arthimetic to distract me from my breathing.

I started with C25K and made myself a promise that if I failed to complete a session then I had to redo it - 18mins into a 20min run its a hell of a motivator to get through those last 2mins so as not to have to repeat the previous 18! It worked for me and I now love running - having only started less than a year ago I now regulalry run 10+miles for my long run and complete a 30K run for charity a couple of weeks back (that was tough but I did finish it having run 13 miles of it non stop).

Try to enjoy the feeling of running rather than focussing on any particular aspect for now and IME it'll feel easier. Good luck :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    There's still a part of me that will never believe that I will ever be able to run.

I'd still hestitate to describe myself as a runner, I merely run 30 or so km per week :)
  • likitisplit
    There's still a part of me that will never believe that I will ever be able to run.

I'd still hestitate to describe myself as a runner, I merely run 30 or so km per week :)

That's more than I'm back up to :)

For the longest time, I wouldn't call myself a runner. Instead I would refer to factual events: "I did a 10k in June"
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    One aspect that is often overlooked by runners of all intensity levels is your breathing. It is ultimately the most important aspect of keeping yourself healthy as a runner and making your runs flow rather than just grinding out miles. There is a physician and running guru named Budd Coates who advocates an approach that I personally have found extraordinarily helpful in my personal running universe. He wrote a book 'Running On Air' that has basics as well as advanced information and training suggestions. I do not proclaim to be any kind of expert. I can only say this approach has been very successful for me personally as a marathon runner, triathlete and fun-run warrior dash type race guy. Coates goes into a lot of physiological and other detail in his book about the suggestions below. But here are the very bare bones basics:

Your shoes are very important. Get yourself fitted by a person/business that knows what they are doing. You don't have to break the bank doing this.

Initially, forget about counting miles or timing yourself at 'minutes per mile'. Think in terms of your the effort your body is outputting and the total number of minutes you run. The distances will lengthen as you run longer. Switch up your routes and types of terrain.

Breathe correctly. Breath from your abdomen and not just your chest. To determine if you are an abdomen breather, lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor, shoulders square and flat. Place your hands on your belly (abdomen) and take normal, deep breathes. If your belly rises and falls you are an abdomen breather. If it does not so much, when you inhale focus on raising your belly and lowering your belly when you exhale. Inhale and exhale through both your nose and mouth. Be aware of this 'belly rise' when you are running.

Breathing and foot strikes. Your core is at its weakest when your foot strikes the ground and you are exhaling simultaneously. Most runners fall into a pattern of even numbered foot strikes on inhales and exhales. For example, you begin your exhale when your right foot strikes the ground, continue the exhale when your left strikes, then finish your exhale when your right strikes again. Your left foot strikes when you begin your inhale, inhale continues on your right strike and finishes on the left strike again. This is what Coates calls a 3:3 or a 6 - 3 strides in, 3 strides out for an even number 6. Some people naturally fall into a 2:2 (4), especially when they get fatigued. What this means is while running, you are always exhaling (when your core is weakest) when the same foot strikes. This affects your balance, endurance and ultimately can cause strain on your knees or feet that make a person prone to injury. A way to change this is to adjust your breathing to an odd number.

Coates recommends a 4:3 (7) or a 3:2 (5) depending on your effort level. Inhale for 4 strides (in-two-three-four) and exhale for 3 (out-two-three). You will find your foot strikes alternate on exhale and your effort level is easier. Your inhale/exhale ratio can be anything you want (3:2, 4:3, 6:5, 7:6, etc) as long as your inhale is longer than your exhale, and the strike count adds up to an odd number. So 6:4 (10), 4:2 (6), etc won't work.

I know it sounds simple and...well...over simple but for me personally it really, really made a difference in my runs. Once I got used to it that is - it took some time but once I got it it just clicked. I wish I had this knowledge when I started running so my body would have gotten into the habit from the get-go. Over the years I struggled with some knee and foot pain. As I got older, I also felt like my runs were labored and something I really didn't want to do anymore. I almost gave it up entirely. Then I got this book as a gift. I followed the breathing suggestions and it's a whole new ball game. I enjoy my runs again and have not had any recurrence of foot or knee pain.

Personally I have found that I cannot get into this breathing pattern until after my breathing starts to speed up. I don't even try to go 7:6 or anything when I start. I just start my run and once my breathing gets going then I start the count. I usually go 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so at 6:5 and eventually settle into a comfortable 4:3. When running hills I switch to a 3:2 and then back to a 4:3 once my route flattens out. I admit I still do have to do the count consciously in my head, but I switch back and forth from 3:2 to 4:3 without thought anymore. Like upshifting and downshifting in a car - It happens naturally and subconsciously depending on my effort level. If you listen to music this will really throw your count off. Just an FYI.

My apologies for the long post. I see all kinds of good advice to beginning runners on this forum but the breathing aspect is often overlooked. Good luck with your runs.
  • tammylwv
    Thanks. No apologies needed for the post. :)