Chicken bone broth macros

Options
Does anyone know what the macros/cals might be for a whole chicken carcass (bones with a bit of skin, a bit of dripping, a little bit of meat etc)?

The database has everything measured in cups for bone broth, which is useless unless you know how much liquid has been added to the original calculations.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    A bit is hard to measure.......just guess.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh I am fine with guessing, but I don't even have a clue what sort of ballpark to guess in. Like, it could be 50 calories for the chicken or it could be 500. I dunno.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The broth is pretty much negligible and a little meat and fat, well if you consider a cup or around 140 g's has about 250 calories a bit would then be much less.....if it was a 1/4 cup then your around 50- 75 cal.....but that's just an educated guess.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Chicken bone broth is in the database. It's mostly water, so negligible. But it's in there.
  • milileitner
    Options
    I KNOW guys, like I said, it is useless to use that figure because the person who figured it out might have added 1 cup of water to the whole chicken carcass, or 10 cups. What I'm trying to find out is the macro/calorie content of one chicken carcass, including the whole bones.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Both of us have said the broth is negligible.......what kind of answer are you looking for? Broths are always/generally low calories.
  • milileitner
    Options
    It's not so much the broth I am looking for, it's the actual chicken carcass... I know once you add a lot of water to something it is going to reduce the calorie content per cup/100g/whatever, but I am trying to find out what the calorie content is BEFORE the water is added. I imagine it's substantial.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Are you actually eating the whole carcass, bones and cartilage or just extracting the nutrients.............your post is confusing......personally I don't eat chicken bones and cartilage, but I guess some do.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you're just boiling the chicken, again, it's negligible.

If you're adding the meat you strip off the carcass, drain it out and weigh it.

If you're getting a lot of fat off the carcass, it'd probably be a good idea to skim that off so you can measure it.

The amount on a chicken carcass is going to totally depend on the weight of the chicken, how fat it is, and how clean you picked it.
  • milileitner
    Options
    Are you actually eating the whole carcass, bones and cartilage or just extracting the nutrients.............your post is confusing......personally I don't eat chicken bones and cartilage, but I guess some do.
    Yeah. I cook the whole thing for 24 hours and then blend it - bones and all. That's why I ask.

Susannamarie, thanks for the idea about skimming the fat. Smart. I picked the thing damn clean, but I still don't know what the nutritional content of the bones is.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I KNOW guys, like I said, it is useless to use that figure because the person who figured it out might have added 1 cup of water to the whole chicken carcass, or 10 cups. What I'm trying to find out is the macro/calorie content of one chicken carcass, including the whole bones.

SO, not trusting what's in the database, use the recipe builder and build your own recipe for use now and later.
  • milileitner
    Options

SO, not trusting what's in the database, use the recipe builder and build your own recipe for use now and later.

There is no information for a chicken carcass in the database. Honestly, I get how MFP works, but I cannot find anywhere online the nutritional info for chicken bones. NOT bone broth, bones.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

There is no information for a chicken carcass in the database. Honestly, I get how MFP works, but I cannot find anywhere online the nutritional info for chicken bones. NOT bone broth, bones.

So, I GOOGLED your question. Here is one response I found:

Do chicken bones have any nutritional benefits?

I like eating the bone after it's been cooked in a soup for a long time. Are there any nutritional benefits and calories in this if I do so?

Answer

Bone marrow, sucked or spooned from the center of a bone, is rich in healthy fats, protein and iron - but chicken bones don't have much marrow. Chicken bones simmered in soup, increase the calcium content of acidic broths, such as when tomato or vinegar is an ingredient. Bones also release gelatin, a protein, into the broth. But never swallow the chicken bone itself because chicken bones can perforate the bowel and that requires surgery. I have not see calorie information about chicken bones.

Perhaps you can try Google for related info.
  • milileitner
    Options

So, I GOOGLED your question. Here is one response I found:

Do chicken bones have any nutritional benefits?

I like eating the bone after it's been cooked in a soup for a long time. Are there any nutritional benefits and calories in this if I do so?

Answer

Bone marrow, sucked or spooned from the center of a bone, is rich in healthy fats, protein and iron - but chicken bones don't have much marrow. Chicken bones simmered in soup, increase the calcium content of acidic broths, such as when tomato or vinegar is an ingredient. Bones also release gelatin, a protein, into the broth. But never swallow the chicken bone itself because chicken bones can perforate the bowel and that requires surgery. I have not see calorie information about chicken bones.

Perhaps you can try Google for related info.

Thanks for the sarcastic google remark.

Bone =/= bone marrow.

Still no answer. Guess my q was at least valid.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'd be really surprised if the bones had a non-negligible caloric value, other than the marrow. Of course this is a wild-*kitten* guess, but I'd still be pretty surprised.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Is there an entry for a whole chicken? You could maybe use that and subtract the calories for breasts, thighs, wings etc to get some kind of guesstimate.
  • milileitner
    Options
    Is there an entry for a whole chicken? You could maybe use that and subtract the calories for breasts, thighs, wings etc to get some kind of guesstimate.

I presume that an entry for whole chicken would only account for what most people consider the edible parts (meat + skin). Nice idea though.

Kind of amazed that the interwebz doesn't have the answer to this :(
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I can sympathise - I cannot for the life of me find nutritional info for a chicken supper (chicken and chips from the chip shop - don't know if it's called the same thing down south) anywhere on the internet.

Short of taking one to a local uni, I'm just using guess work - if I ever go and get it done, I'll take along a carcass for you too =D

I know where you're coming from, it's frustrating when you can't get an exact value for something.