pulled pork curry - low calorie, low fat, high protein!

Options
katieC1983
katieC1983 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and love cooking....today we are having a slow-cook curry that is super-yummy and pretty healthy too!

3 decent portions

Ingredients

For the Sauce:
1 medium carrot, grated
1.5 medium onions, diced
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 chilli (optional - add more or less depending on your preference!)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
400ml low sodium chicken stock
2 tbsp medium curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardomom seeds, crushed
tsp cumin
handful fresh coriander

Method
fry the onions, garlic, pepper and chilli in a non stick pan until lightly golden (I use frylight for this but you could use oil and just count the cals), add the dried/ground spices and toast them for 2-3 minutes - they will release their flavour and smell great. throw in the tomatoes, stock and the grated carrot, bring to the boil then reduce and simmer for around 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the coriander and blend the entire contents to produce a smooth curry sauce (at this stage it is still not cooked - whilst it won't make you ill the spices need time to cook out).

At this point you add the filling of your choice, pop it all together in a casserole pot and pop it in the oven to cook at 150degrees for a couple of hours. Remove the lid for the last hour of cooking to let the sauce thicken up. For us, today, the filling was:

500g shoulder pork steaks, all visible fat removed
2 medium carrots, chunky chopped
1/2 onion, sliced
150g chopped green beans

At the end of cooking I stir in 100g spinach.

Today I am serving this over a quarter of a baked butternut squash - making a complete dinner, at a generous portion size, for 524 cals. Yum!