Antidepressant meds- Lexapro

I posted this topic in a different forum but got no responses, so hopefully I get some here!

For those who have taken Lexapro- what are your stories? I just started taking it last week for Depression/Anxiety and it has been working wonderfully! after being depressed for years it's great being positive again. I'm only afraid of any weight changes. Did you gain or lose weight on it?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I had no weight changes on it. I am glad you are feeling so much better!
  • I had no weight changes on it. I am glad you are feeling so much better!

Thank you and I'm relieved you had no changes. I've heard some horror stories of weight gain and it's making me really nervous.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    No weight changes either way, but they aren't kidding about those sexual side effects.
  • No weight changes either way, but they aren't kidding about those sexual side effects.

I haven't had a sex drive in over a year, so either way not wanting it with this medication wont bother me lol. Though it probably does suck for people with high sex drives and spouses.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    I work in a mental health private practice and there are no weight changes normally.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    No weight changes either way, but they aren't kidding about those sexual side effects.

No kidding. I'm on Celexa (kind of a Lexapro relative) and have had Wellbutrin also to balance it out a bit.
  • I was taking Prozac... and gained 15 lbs. I recently (2 months-ish) switched to Lexapro. I have been losing weight, so far. I know it took a while with the Prozac to notice a difference in my weight though.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Antidepressants are kind of a crap shoot. What works/has side effects for one person can have the opposite, nothing, or something wildly different for others.

What I have seen, however, is that if you count your calories very carefully, you should be fine. I have been on a variety of anti-depressants while using MFP and have not gained that much weight. I think a lot of it has to do with people who don't count and have their appetites increased (serotonin deals with hunger) due to the medication who gain the most weight.

Glad the meds have worked for you, though.
  • sandikegz
    sandikegz Posts: 66
    I didn't have any weight gain while taking Lexapro! It's a very very good anti-depressant and I only had to stop taking it because of lower back pain and being switched to Cymbalta instead. I hope your condition improves and don't worry about the weight gain. Now night sweats are something different, that's what bothered me, but you get that with any kinds of these meds.
  • oOoNICKIoOo
    oOoNICKIoOo Posts: 107 Member
    I was on Lexapro for a while before I switched to Wellbutrin. I didn't notice any weight changes with either of the anti-depressants, so from my experience I think you'll be good to go :smile:
  • sunshine4040
    sunshine4040 Posts: 29 Member
    Each person is different with the way side effects hit them. I took Cymbalta for a day a few years ago. I kid you not, I mean for a day. It messed with my equilibrium so badly that I couldn't walk across a room without falling. I've never felt that bad in my life. The best I have ever had was Pristiq. It's side effects were weight gain or loss, excessive sweating (as in a heat wave in zero degree weather),and extreme thirst. There were others, but those were the only ones that hit me. But it worked. I'm glad you are feeling better.Just remember, it is different for everyone in how medication affects them. You can also google Lexapro side effects and it will help you see the side effects and how many people have certain ones.
  • So far with Lexapro I have lost my appetite and I'm always thirsty. Otherwise it's been a godsend.
  • baileyanna319
    baileyanna319 Posts: 3 Member
    I use Lexapro and never saw changes in weight. I think if I feel better I'm better able to control my eating.
    I'm so glad to hear that it is helping you. :flowerforyou:
  • I didn't have any weight gain while taking Lexapro! It's a very very good anti-depressant and I only had to stop taking it because of lower back pain and being switched to Cymbalta instead. I hope your condition improves and don't worry about the weight gain. Now night sweats are something different, that's what bothered me, but you get that with any kinds of these meds.

The night sweats. Holy crap. I didn't even realize that was a side effect. They are AWFUL for me.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Congratulations on taking the first step! For me it was by far the hardest. My dosage has gone from 20mg to 30 mg and now down to 5mg, but I've been taking Lexapro since late 2012.

When i first started, I did notice the thirst side effect - like literally my mouth and throat were so dry it started to feel like I had strep! But it went away after 3-4 weeks. And thank GOD, no sexual side effects. That would have been a deal breaker. :laugh:

I did gain weight on Lexapro, but before I was on it, my anxiety and depression were so severe that I had lost a lot of weight, so my doctor attributed the gain to just getting my appetite back and eating "normally" - I wasn't counting calories at that point so I guess there's no way to know for sure but I don't really buy into medicines making you gain magic fat out of nowhere. So just be careful and continue logging.

All that said, Lexapro absolutely changed my life in a way I can never put into words. The benefit of taking out far outweighs any risk of gaining a little weight, in my opinion. It's a serious decision to take an antidepressant but the difference it made in my life, my happiness, and my relationships has been HUGE and I feel so lucky that it worked (and continues to work) so well for me.

That is all. Good luck!! :smile:
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    I took Celexa a few years ago and I reacted horribly to it! I lost weight only because I couldn't eat for feeling sick all the time. I ended up having to get off of it after a few weeks because it gave me dyskinesia. Basically, I woke up one morning and my neck was twitching like I was constantly shaking my head no, and it wouldn't stop. I still get it once in awhile but only if I'm stressed out and it's not nearly as bad. It's oddly treated with Benadryl, believe it or not. It's apparently a really rare side effect (so of course I would get it) but I just wanted to let you know about that! My dad is on Celexa and he has never had an issue, so you never know how your brain will react to it. I hope it works for you! :smile:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    I found it weight neutral - didn't gain or lose any weight. Wasn't particularly effective for me either, though I know someone who found it really helpful. I had the 'other' side effects though, not that my libido was great anyway, but yeah, not good.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member

^This!! Really bad side effect!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    I actually had the energy to get up and move and make proper meals so I lost weight. But Lordy the night sweats are nothing to joke about. Was glad when that side effect went away. It was horrible.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    I was taking Prozac... and gained 15 lbs. I recently (2 months-ish) switched to Lexapro. I have been losing weight, so far. I know it took a while with the Prozac to notice a difference in my weight though.

I am actually on Fluxonine,which is a mild dosage of prozac. It controls my PMDD which triggers my binge eating and it has been a blessing in disguise in terms of my weight loss!
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    I still take Lexapro and other medications on top of that. I had gained 80 pounds within a year. but I feel much better depression wise. not so happy about the weight gain....feeling gross and all. but it does help with depression.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member

^This!! Really bad side effect!

I totally agree! it kills your sex drive. but I gained weight too,. :(
  • I actually had the energy to get up and move and make proper meals so I lost weight. But Lordy the night sweats are nothing to joke about. Was glad when that side effect went away. It was horrible.

I've been having night sweats too, I woke up last night drenched in sweat. I can live with it though if it means being happier.
  • Congratulations on taking the first step! For me it was by far the hardest. My dosage has gone from 20mg to 30 mg and now down to 5mg, but I've been taking Lexapro since late 2012.

When i first started, I did notice the thirst side effect - like literally my mouth and throat were so dry it started to feel like I had strep! But it went away after 3-4 weeks. And thank GOD, no sexual side effects. That would have been a deal breaker. :laugh:

I did gain weight on Lexapro, but before I was on it, my anxiety and depression were so severe that I had lost a lot of weight, so my doctor attributed the gain to just getting my appetite back and eating "normally" - I wasn't counting calories at that point so I guess there's no way to know for sure but I don't really buy into medicines making you gain magic fat out of nowhere. So just be careful and continue logging.

All that said, Lexapro absolutely changed my life in a way I can never put into words. The benefit of taking out far outweighs any risk of gaining a little weight, in my opinion. It's a serious decision to take an antidepressant but the difference it made in my life, my happiness, and my relationships has been HUGE and I feel so lucky that it worked (and continues to work) so well for me.

That is all. Good luck!! :smile:

So happy you have a good story to share. I'm on 5mg and it seems to be working great. I went from crying everyday and thinking suicidal thoughts to actually smiling and laughing and generally being happy. I've always suffered from depression and was wary of medications but I knew I needed something or I would lose it completely.
  • amberburke1982
    amberburke1982 Posts: 7 Member
    I had horrible weight gain (50 lbs) and the sexual side effects also Just FYI !!
  • cheekychk
    cheekychk Posts: 16 Member
    I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro since Feb 2013, and coincidentally the 40 pound weight loss that had been a steady downward slope for 2 1/4 years before that reversed and then went back up. I put on about 33 pounds in a year, and I am back to my starting weight. I should add that I had a broken toe for four months, though, and couldn't do my regular exercise, so I'm sure it's not ALL the Lexapro. However, the difference Lexapro made in my life was so huge that it was worth it, even with the weight gain. I even upped my dose to 15 mg recently, after a discussion with my doctor. I didn't notice it having effect on libido, though mine was tanked anyway prior to that. YMMV.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Just here to throw in support for you.

Went through some serious bouts of depression/anxiety a few years back and had several people recommend ADs. Luckily I found that eating less sugars/caffeine, exercise, and family support kept me off them. I also recommend meditation if you haven't tried yet.

Anyway, all the best!
  • I'm going to monitor my weight for a few weeks, and hope for the best! so far most people didn't see a big change, and while others did maybe it was more to do with their change in mood. They started enjoying food again.