Clean Eating Tips please

Options
I am about to start the clean eating approach and just wondered how everyone went about doing it. A lot of things I have read about it say to clean out your cupboards and fridge of everything bad but is that really the best way to start? To me that seems a bit expensive and a bit wasteful....but I could be wrong. Help?! Also, I have a huge downfall with sugar so what is a clean way to add sweetener to my coffee in the mornings? :drinker:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    for me my tips are the 5sec rule in my house, 10 sec rule in my mothers...and that's about it...

Not sure you will get much support for "clean" eating here as there is no clear definition as to what it is...

ETA: and because there is no definition it's hard to know what is "clean" and it's restrictive...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How about, start by adding more real meats, fruits, veggies, grains, dairy to your diet. You don't have to clean out your cupboards. What you eat isn't as important to weight loss as how much you eat. Of course you can eat more in calories in "real" food than processed foods generally. Labeling food as "good" and "bad" isn't necessary or particularly helpful. It can be easier to stick to a way of eating if you don't make things off limit. Just learn how to eat anything in the proper amounts, fitting them into your calorie goal.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different definition of clean eating....you need to figure out what that is for you. For me it means staying away from highly processed foods and eat real food. I wouldn't go so drastic as cleaning out your entire cupboards. Maybe start no buying processed foods, and use what you have up in a moderate way!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Do not throw out your food, either finish it off or donate it if it's really not something you're going to eat. Just start adding more whole foods into your diet to replace processed ones. For example, my husband loves pasta and meatballs and we would often get the frozen turkey meatballs. Swapped those out for a recipe I found online; just as good, less sodium and preservatives. Learn how to make your own sauces with fresh ingredients to get away from jars. Little things like that, and go slow.

As Stef said, clean eating is kind of subjective, and you find yourself ending up at a different place than you thought you would. You may find that an 80/20 ratio works best for you and your family because some things aren't worth the aggravation of making yourself. I'm not a clean eater per se but I do try to go for homemade whenever I realistically can.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I started out washing EVERYTHING but now i don't even care, I don't even bother. I'm still losing though, good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the clean eating approach and just wondered how everyone went about doing it. A lot of things I have read about it say to clean out your cupboards and fridge of everything bad but is that really the best way to start? To me that seems a bit expensive and a bit wasteful....but I could be wrong. Help?! Also, I have a huge downfall with sugar so what is a clean way to add sweetener to my coffee in the mornings? :drinker:

Clean eating is for hypocrites and the ignorant, so no need for it
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The best way to start something is by adding more to your diet, not taking away immediately. Like others said, add more fruits and veggies, change to whole wheat, etc. I still use raw sugar cane for coffee - I don't see the difference.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Wash/rinse your fruits and vegetables before you eat them.