ketosis not kicking in

Options
Hi
I've been following a strict ketosis diet from a week and still did not feel any of the common symptoms that one goes through.
My sample diet looks like this

Breakfast: 5 whole eggs and 30gms peanut butter and 15gms flaxseed oil.
before lunch I have 30gms of full fat mayonaise.
Lunch: I eat 150gms chicken breast cooked in a teaspoon of oil and have 50gms cheddar cheese
early evening I have 30gms of full fat mayo along with half a cup veggies.
evening i eat 30gms of peanut butter.
Dinner: Cheddar cheese 50gms and 50gms chicken and 30gms of full fat mayo.
Night I have 15gms flaxseed oil.
also I have 2 scoops of whey protein after my workout.

Total it comes to 2300 calories approx and is 180gms fat, 140gms protein, 25 to 30gms carbs.

Please suggest if I need to change my diet. Is it possible to be in ketosis and not feel any of the common symptoms?

I work out at a moderate to high intensity level. I weigh around 177 pounds and my height is 5 feet 11 inches. BF might be around 15%.

Replies

• EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make judgements without seeing your food diary.

Question: what kind of peanut butter? Is there more than one ingredient on the list?

Also looks like a ton of protein in your diet which could slow or halt progress. Not to menation if your BF is around 15% you really don't have any fat to burn.

Another question, if you're 5'11, 177 pounds, BF of 15% and workout moderate to high intensity, why do you want to lose weight? Sounds more like you need to lose muscle mass if you want to lose weight. JMO.

Edit: When I was working out moderate to high (yoga and kickboxing), at 5'9-ish and 175 pounds I was buying clothes in the junior section. Not even lying (I can post pics of the old me). Lean muscle mass is heavier than fat; one can be over their "ideal" weight if that weight is comprised of muscle instead of fat.
  • srik9999
    srik9999 Posts: 4
    Options
    American Garden peanut butter is the one I eat.Its natural and its got 16gms fat, 7gms protein and 6.5gms carbs. And I think you may be right with the protein intake. It is high. But how am i supposed to reduce my protein intake. Then i will have nothing to eat (lol) except for a few veggies and a whole lot of peanut butter and mayonnaise the whole day.

And I wanna achieve 8% BF..So am working towards it. I can see my upper abs but my lower abs are still not visible at allllll. Hence the question.

Thnks for the reply
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But how am i supposed to reduce my protein intake

don't eat lean stuff like chicken breast, get some beef mince with 20% fat and make burgers.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It can be very difficult for some people to go into ketosis. We all metabolize things a bit differently....and if you're one of the unlucky ones, your liver is very good at turning protein into glucose through gluconeogenisis (if you care to look it up).
    Anyway, you might could cut back on the protein and eat more fat.....but that's only if ketosis is your goal.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be in ketosis and not feel any of the common symptoms?

Yes it's possible. You could try using keto test strips to find out for sure.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be in ketosis and not feel any of the common symptoms?

Yes it's possible. You could try using keto test strips to find out for sure.

that- 20 to 30 g carbs seems pretty low.

I did some research on where you need to be to hit that and the only thing I could find was "somewhere under 40"- so you're there- also might need more than a week to get your body on board with what you are asking.

I was pretty low for a while- and only really noticed typical keto once in a while- wasn't a common thing for me to see the typical symptoms.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It can be very difficult for some people to go into ketosis. We all metabolize things a bit differently....and if you're one of the unlucky ones, your liver is very good at turning protein into glucose through gluconeogenisis (if you care to look it up).
    Anyway, you might could cut back on the protein and eat more fat.....but that's only if ketosis is your goal.
    Unlucky ones? Having a normal, functioning liver that does what it's supposed to do makes someone unlucky? So it's better to have a failing liver?

What the heck are these low carb cult leaders brainwashing people with?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Unlucky ones? Having a normal, functioning liver that does what it's supposed to do makes someone unlucky? So it's better to have a failing liver?

There's actually nothing wrong with a bit of gluconeogenesis synthesizing glucose from excess protein. Even when keto-adapted you still need glucose for your brain (about 20g a day) and certain cellular activities (anaerobic cellular respiration, etc.).

Even in the low-carber, gluconeogenesis is never unlucky.

OP - If you're worried about it reduce your protein intake and bump up your fat. Most people get keto-adapted with 75-80% calories from fat, 15-20% from protein and 5% from carbohydrate.

With your current bodyfat percentage though, unless you have a medical need to go into (and stay in) ketosis, I'd recommend a CKD instead of a straight ketogenic diet.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Is the peanut butter all natural and no sugar also does the protein powder have sugar in it?
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

you might want to consider my answer in relation to the subject.....getting into ketosis.
    Personally, I don't think ketosis is a normal condition to be in, but if that's your goal, and your liveer is fighting you on that path, then yes, unlucky.