HBO clip about Biology of Weight Loss

2»

Replies

• I watched a TedTalk on this same thing. The scientist in the talk said it can take many years to "reset" your body, but that I can be done. I don't believe that it is permanent. I bet a lot of it has to do with the fact that people who had issues with their weight, have a harder time with portion control etc and are more likely to slip back into old habits than someone who never had those issues. The same way recovered drug/alcohol addicts are more likely to become addicted to drugs again than someone who has never had an issue with chemical dependency.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I watched a TedTalk on this same thing. The scientist in the talk said it can take many years to "reset" your body, but that I can be done. I don't believe that it is permanent. I bet a lot of it has to do with the fact that people who had issues with their weight, have a harder time with portion control etc and are more likely to slip back into old habits than someone who never had those issues. The same way recovered drug/alcohol addicts are more likely to become addicted to drugs again than someone who has never had an issue with chemical dependency.

No. Their studies support a lowered BMR that continues substantially beyond the weight loss period (1 year)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Rosenbaum+M,+Leibel+RL.

However, what are your options here?

- Work at getting/staying healthy
    - Just stay fat

Up to you.

Personally, I don't read about the health issues of former smokers, because there is nothing I can do about what I've done in the past.
  • Yeah, that's my point. There is research out there that says this is true, but it's not permanent
  • likitisplit
    Yeah, that's my point. There is research out there that says this is true, but it's not permanent

I'd like to read the research if you can remember any identifying characteristics about it.... :)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    In to watch later.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I stopped watching half way through.

Sorry I think this is a crock of sh**...

They fed the patient 800 calories a day on a liquid diet for the duration of the study...of course their metabolism slowed down....

:noway: :noway: :noway:

Sure they tested body comp in bod pod, RMR, etc...and compared the starting weight of person A to a 10% decrease in Person A after they ate 800 calories a day to lose 10% of their weight.

I also can say from personal experience that my metabolism has gone up while my desire to "over eat" has been great reduced. I can't eat as much as I used to when I was fat.

HBO <> good research...you can find any doctor in the world to say what you want if you are willing to pay them enough.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Yep. Here's more evidence that getting fat is not a choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-f3krkSpZg
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I'll watch later, but that it is more difficult to maintain a healthy weight for someone who has spent most of their life overweight than someone who hasn't, is something I have heard before.

My understanding is that the body largely lays down the number of fat cells during childhood and puberty (except for people who are extremely obese, whose bodies create additional fat cells), and although you can shrink the volume of fat cells, it would be logical to assume that the body's response to utilizing those fat cells to store energy during tough times would be set at those crucial stages of development, so they are "tuned" to store energy more efficiently. This is one of the reasons why childhood obesity is so serious.

Coming to terms with the fact that maintaining my loss is going to be really tough is one I'm currently dealing with. Having said that, everybody's body is different in any case, so I don't intend on getting hung up that I won't be able to have that second egg for breakfast. My goal is a healthy me for the long term. And I'm short anyway, so I was just kidding myself that I could eat the same calories as my 5'10" sister and not be bigger.
  • likitisplit

Lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

awww that was disturbing in the worst sense...

but made me sort of laugh...because yes that would explain why it's not a choice...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    I figure it's a combination of nature vs. nurture, as so much is in life. I'm just always surprised by the people that stand on either end of the spectrum -- whether it's the ones that say you have no control and you're bound by your genetics or those that say it's 100% within your control and it's only about wanting it enough.

It makes the most sense to me to think of it as a combination of both -- some will have genes that favor it more and others won't and will have to work harder to achieve the same results. I just figure that the more we find out about the underlying reasons -- whether genetic, psychological, physiological, etc. -- the better we'll be able to chart a path for success for any given individual.

No playing field in life is exactly level for everyone, so that's all the more reason to find out where the hills and valleys are so any individual can maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses to find greatest success.
  • likitisplit
    I figure it's a combination of nature vs. nurture, as so much is in life. I'm just always surprised by the people that stand on either end of the spectrum -- whether it's the ones that say you have no control and you're bound by your genetics or those that say it's 100% within your control and it's only about wanting it enough.

It makes the most sense to me to think of it as a combination of both -- some will have genes that favor it more and others won't and will have to work harder to achieve the same results. I just figure that the more we find out about the underlying reasons -- whether genetic, psychological, physiological, etc. -- the better we'll be able to chart a path for success for any given individual.

No playing field in life is exactly level for everyone, so that's all the more reason to find out where the hills and valleys are so any individual can maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses to find greatest success.

"Genes are expressed in an environment" ;)
  • If you go Ted.com you can find it... I think it's called "why diets don't work"
  • Jodi_73
    Jodi_73 Posts: 1
    Tag to watch later...
  • likitisplit
    If you go Ted.com you can find it... I think it's called "why diets don't work"

Except...they do.