Need a good substitute for beer

Options

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    M64 = 64 calories per can

And it is nearly impossible to get drunk off of.

It also tastes like urine.
    so it's like all the other domestic beers?

FIFY.

Both the "American" and "Domestic" monikers are incorrect. Bud, Miller and Coors are all now owned by non-American companies. Sam Adams is the largest true American beer producer.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    death
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BEER TOO!! I bought a soda stream and drink gallons of soda water a day instead. Usually give myself one night a week to partake in guzzling my lovely beverages.

It took a few times to get used to the flavour of it, but now it satisfies most of my beer needs.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    resize.php?name=LzM3OC9CZWVyLUdvZC1pcy1zaG93aW5nLXlvdS10aGUtd2F5LTUxMDhkYjQ4MGViM2YuanBn&w=550&h=9999&extension=.jpg

That is just awesome right there!:drinker:
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    M64 = 64 calories per can

And it is nearly impossible to get drunk off of.

It also tastes like urine.
    so it's like all the other domestic beers?

FIFY.

Both the "American" and "Domestic" monikers are incorrect. Bud, Miller and Coors are all now owned by non-American companies. Sam Adams is the largest true American beer producer.

good thing I'm a wine drinker then,
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

No - please don't!!!

Fish bladder is isinglass - a fining that has been used in beer for centuries. It helps settle out the yeast to the bottom of the fermentor, and the beer is then racked off, leaving the yeast + isinglass behind.

Caramel has colors from the melanoidin reaction. Sugars plus amino groups from protein. The color of the grain used to make EVERY beer comes from the kilning/roasting process, which produces melanoidins. Any time you brown a piece of meat or onions, you are producing melanoidins. All the caramel color used in Newcastle Brown is is a concentrated form of this same thing, so they can add just the right amount to get exactly the color they want without the bitterness that comes from using the grains directly. I've used Sinamar in my homebrews for this that is essentially concentrated wort.

Propylene glycol is used to chill beer. In a cooling jacket. It doesn't go into the beer itself.

The rest is simply an anti-GMO screed with no scientific understanding whatsoever. I mean, what the hell is "GMO Dextrose"? GMO means genetically modified organism, and dextrose is just another name for glucose. Any sugar (or high fructose corn syrup, which is a mix of glucose and fructose) is going to be turned to alcohol by the yeast.

Don't drink those beers (except the Guinness) because they are BAD beers. Don't not drink them because of a bad blog article.

Nothing.. and I mean NOTHING, could stop me from drinking beer!

Just make sure it is GOOD beer, that's all I'm saying!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    weed
    Was going to say this - you beat me to it. :tongue:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you absolutely cannot stop at one or two the majority of the time -- I would probably seek out help and talk to your husband about limiting the amounts of beer or wine on hand.

It sucks, but so does getting drunk when you don't really want to.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well, if you like sweet wines...Welch's White Grape Juice. For beers...I know this isn't beer, but try having a nice glass of dark chocolate almond milk (or regular chocolate milk or soy...whatever). It does an awesome job at quenching most "thirst" sensations. Or, if you have to have a beer...get a Guinness. If you are craving a second after the first one...then there may be another issue here.

Also for wine and beer, there are many non-alcoholic versions that surprisingly taste similar AND there are more options coming out that are lower in calories too.

Only other options I can think of is...if you have a basement, and fridge down there...keep all of the alcohol there. Place 1 beer or prefill a "glass" of wine and put in your main fridge. If you are lazy enough, it will keep you from taking the effort to go all the way downstairs just to get a 2nd...and 3rd...and more. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I know I'll get shouted down by just about everyone when I say this, but my wife and I actually enjoy the taste of Michelob Ultra Light. I know, it's nothing like a good craft beer and maybe it's an acquired taste, but after a workout, mowing the lawn, getting hot and sweaty, they're pretty tasty. Yes, I drink craft beer, yes, I brew my own beer; guess I'm just not that big of a snob.

ETA: Amstel Light is low in calories (so is Guinness) and tastes pretty decent (more so than Michelob IMO).
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    I'm not sure how helpful this is. I love beer and wine too. But, I'm pregnant, so can't drink those right now.

When my husband drinks a beer at night or on the weekends, I grab some sparkling flavored water and pour it in a wine glass. Then, I sip it like wine.

0 calories and it still helps me unwind!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

No - please don't!!!

Fish bladder is isinglass - a fining that has been used in beer for centuries. It helps settle out the yeast to the bottom of the fermentor, and the beer is then racked off, leaving the yeast + isinglass behind.

Caramel has colors from the melanoidin reaction. Sugars plus amino groups from protein. The color of the grain used to make EVERY beer comes from the kilning/roasting process, which produces melanoidins. Any time you brown a piece of meat or onions, you are producing melanoidins. All the caramel color used in Newcastle Brown is is a concentrated form of this same thing, so they can add just the right amount to get exactly the color they want without the bitterness that comes from using the grains directly. I've used Sinamar in my homebrews for this that is essentially concentrated wort.

Propylene glycol is used to chill beer. In a cooling jacket. It doesn't go into the beer itself.

The rest is simply an anti-GMO screed with no scientific understanding whatsoever. I mean, what the hell is "GMO Dextrose"? GMO means genetically modified organism, and dextrose is just another name for glucose. Any sugar (or high fructose corn syrup, which is a mix of glucose and fructose) is going to be turned to alcohol by the yeast.

Don't drink those beers (except the Guinness) because they are BAD beers. Don't not drink them because of a bad blog article.

That's quite interesting, thanks for explaining it, I glanced at the article and was somewhat concerned about "fish bladder" because I love Guinness, so you've made me feel better haha. The only other thing that caught my attention was the dextrose in Michelob Ultra because I was thinking of buying it (because low calorie) but I have blood sugar concerns and didn't want extra-sugared beer, but your explanation makes sense. :flowerforyou:
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Good suggestions, thanks! I don't think I've ever tried any of those brands, I'm going to have to make a list for my next trip to the beer store, haha. I believe that Guinness is relatively low-calorie compared to some but it's so expensive, I usually drink Maclay's, which is cheap but goes down WAY too easy.

Guinness is fairly lo-cal. Otherwise try "light" beers and see if there are any you like. Amstel and Coors Light work for me (and I am a reformed craft-beer junkie).
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Join AA

Seriously - who said anyone here was an alcoholic? Pssh to that!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Sorry, there absolutely are no substitutes.........

Yep..

but my new love is ciroc & soda water with a twist.. (lime is better them lemon too!)

mmmm and the only calories are the ones from the circo. :)
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    I have the same problem.

One of my substitutes is unsweetened iced tea with lemon, or just ice water with lemon.

For low-calorie, low-carb beers, not that you asked, I like Michelob Ultra, Molson 67, and Molson 67 Sublime.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    There really is no substitute....but you can try this.

2eqc80l.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Need a good substitute for beer

None. Just exercise more.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

For low-calorie, low-carb beers, not that you asked, I like Michelob Ultra, Molson 67, and Molson 67 Sublime.

Yuk.

If you're gonna do it.. then do it right!

Guiness
    IPAs
    Fat Tire!
    Double Read head

And soooo many micro brews.. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about them..
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I craved beer a lot- I know it is no substitution but high quality ginger ale was satisfying. My best advice is to plan your beer day and how much you are going to drink and then do a massive workout that day so it doesn't end up costing your daily goals.
    If I am craving something I always workout so I can have it.