Large Family Favorites

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
My boyfriend and I have two kids a piece. I like to invite them over for dinner, but I'm always stressed about it because I'm not used to feeding so many.

Do you have 6+ at home to feed? What are your best recipes for large families?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Bump
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Veggie lasagna, salad , grilled veggies and garlic bread
    sometimes. i just do the sagna and salad

any casserole would work really just double any recipes you love and then you might have lunch for tomorrow too.
    roast chickens, two in a pan with potatoes and carrots.
    grilled steaks and pasta with some veg
    soup i, a crock pot served with fresh bread and again tons,of,veg

are there any picky eaters or allergies?
    I have plenty more. There are five of us and my mom and my neighbour often join us
    I always try to make extra for my,lunch the next day as well so, I have tons of ideas .
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    No allergies... and picky eaters can do without... LOL!

I made spaghetti the other night, and had some left over for two days worth of lunches... I was shocked. But I was really hoping to find some economical recipes. Soup sounds good. What is your favorite soup recipes?
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but it's just me and my two extremely picky kids :laugh:

Growing up there were 5 of us, and I remember a lot of casseroles lol. Shepherds pie, green bean casserole, lots of potato type casseroles since they were cheap.

You could do some type of taco buffet, we had that quite a bit. Easier to put out larger bowls of toppings and/or sides and let everyone serve themselves.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Definitely casseroles. Even my picky eater kids loved skinnytaste's cheeseburger casserole (we didn't add the pickles). It was really good and I have to make it again. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/03/cheeseburger-casserole.html

Shepherd's pie is great (I just cook ground beef with onions, add a bit of tomato sauce, then layer with frozen peas and carrots, mashed potatoes, and shredded Swiss). Lasagna...

I agree with the taco buffet! Have soft and hard taco shells, shredded cheese, tomatoes, onions, avocado, salsa, lettuce, meat, and let them help themselves.

You can do the same with crepes too... make a bunch, have all kinds of toppings out, they can make their own (I just use flour, eggs, milk, and a little bit of oil in mine, so they can be savory or sweet really).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1-800-PAPAJOHNS

Tater tot casserole

Bucket of KFC
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Crock pot.

Fill with beef/chicken/pork
    add spices

beef I would do red wine or balsamic vinegar and chicken broth, rosemary, garlic, onion. Cook all day.
    Bake some sweet potatoes, add some broccoli or veg of choice.

Another crock pot is beans with pork. Add to rice.

and finally crock pot or stock pot Vegetable chili....browned ground beef or ground turkey or both in a crock pot, fill with frozen mixed veggies (really fill) add crushed tomatoes, some chicken broth (or water), and your favorite chili spices. I do garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper, onions or onion powder, and if I have them, smoked jalapenos. cook until veggies are as done as you like them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    lettuce WRAPS !!
    2 heads lettuce, make 1 cup brown rice ad 1 cup lentils in the rice steamer ( mindless and simple i know !)

when thats done mix up 2 eggs with it and 4-6 T hosien sauce - microwave for about 2 min to heat and cook the eggs, optional simply mix in the sauce , and fold in chopped boiled eggs.

thin slice , green onions/ cabbage/onions- splash w soy sauce and sesame seeds and 1/4 c coconut milk

make peanut sauce, i do peanut sauce 3T -4T peanut butter and 1/4 c coconut milk dash sriracha

hosein sauce, take 2Tbsp hosein sauce, 2T water, Splash sriracha, and sliced green onion tops and sesame seeds done .
    we also serve with thawed frozen peas and thawed frozen corn

if they wont eat the lettuce, then use tortillas, and call them Asian tacos,
    the peanut sauce and the sweetness of the hosien pretty much guarantees success.
    and kids making thier own food is always fun/memorable

my kids also love PHO.

home made mini pizzas, 2 bags arnold wheat sandwich thins, mozzarella sauce, mini pepperoni and tomato sauce ( we use ragu that i get for next to nothing with sales/coupons and add fennel)

my kids also love pizza monkey bread and sausage monkey bread, check pinterest for recipes

we do salad bar nights...

we crock pot a lot, and the meat is a side, i will take a 2lb roast add 2lbs carrots and a pound of potatoes and 2 large onions, and 6 hours later MAGIC

spaghetti is good too...

any time i have no idea of what to make i confess, we do a lot of brown rice and vegetables with chopped boiled eggs... 4 cups cooked rice and 3 bags cooked frozen veg, a diced egg on each plate.. DONE the no fry stir fry.:D

Pancakes.

grilled cheese and tomato soup

Chili

Between my Rice steamer and my crock pot ... those are the basis of a lot of meals ...
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Cauliflower

You sicken me with your healthy lies.

I find putting a large pork butt in a crock pot, with bbq sauce. Let it cook all day. Make some baked beans and mac n cheese as sides, buy 12 buns and you're done. I've made that and it fed 10 hangry folks.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm definitely trying a few of these on.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Here are some soup ideas:
    Chilli
    Cheesy Brocolli Soup
    Potato Soup
    Stuffed Pepper Soup (skinnytaste or familyfreshmeals.com) - delicious! Could probably be made on the stovetop if you were in a hurry.
    Lasagna soup (jamiecooksitup) - you could use any kind of pasta probably and could be kind of a fun twist on classic lasagna. I really like it.
    Crockpot Ham Bone and Beans (food.com by "Papa D 1946-2012") - this is so easy and absolutely delicious! I am thinking my crockpot is a 6 qt and it is the perfect size. The serving size says 8, if you weren't sure that would be enough, depending on how big of eaters they are, maybe add some cornbread or cornbread muffins on the side. I like to put sour cream on top of my ham and beans but that is totally optional. The soup in itself can be a complete meal.

"non-soup" family style recipes:
    Mexican Cornbread - Copykat.com's mexican cornbread casserole recipe is pretty close to what I use. Although instead of chiles, I will either add in a can of diced tomatoes (plain or Rotel) or some salsa. Some sour cream and extra salsa to add on top and you have a pretty filling meal! We have had it with a lettuce or vegetable salad on the side if you want something a little more than just Mexican cornbread.

Calico beans - there are alot of recipes and options (baked, stovetop, crockpot). Allrecipes Calico Bean Casserole recipe by Dee Dee, is an example of the basic recipe, but there are several variations. I have seen it with only hamburger or only bacon, green pepper added in, only a T. or two of brown sugar (my preference), or an assortment of beans (pork and beans, green beans, northern beans, pinto beans, etc.) This is a great recipe that can be modified to what you have on hand.

A convenient option for large families are crockpot meals or make ahead freezer meals - sixsistersstuff.com is a great place to start for these kind of family style recipes.

You mentioned wanting to find economical recipes, you might want to look up BudgetBytes.com - good healthy recipes and approx. cost breakdowns per recipe and serving.
    Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Tonights dinner - using my TRUSTY rice pot

uncooked
    2 1/2 c brown rice
    1/2c wild rice ( but this by the bag ~not bulk~ at whole foods, since use only abt 1/2c at a time , it makes great addition to "plain" brown rice)

cook in steamer ,
    when 3/4 done i will add
    1 12 oz bag carrots- thawed
    1 12 oz bag of peas- thawed
    1c milk
    mixed with 2 cubes chicken boullion low salt
    and 2T cornstarch( to thicken)

this will make about 12 c food, if it looks like its going to be too little i will make another bag of veg.
    we call it rice "pot pie"- 1 c equals about 180 cal- and 6 g protein
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of crock-pot recipes. If you are interested please send me a message and I will get them for you.
    You will need to let me know which meat - beef, chicken or pork.
    I would be glad to help!