Replies

• carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I need to try and make my own. Thanks.
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Following for all the great hummus recipes!! :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Make sure your tahini or sesame seeds are not rancid. I store in fridge because they go rancid fast. I temper my olive oil with cumin seeds
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe - it's Israeli (or Palestinian, as your politics may run) so maybe taste will differ a little the way you might be used to it elsewhere. It looks more involved than it is - it's really not very much work, but it just takes forever.

* Tehini shouldn't have salt in it. The ingredients list on your tehini should read, in it's entirety: sesame.
    * I always use dried chickpeas, but I guess it works on the same principle with canned, but skip all the chickpea-preparing steps.

1. Wash your chickpeas. Seriously, they get dusty. Give them a good wash in cold water, pick out any dodgy looking ones.

2. Soak them in cold water, enough to cover them. Change the water after a few hours (it'll get yellowish, you'll want to.)

3. Soak at least 18 hours or so, 24 is good too. If it looks like they've soaked up all the water, add more water. You can speed this up a little by adding a teaspoon or so of drinking soda (or, sometimes I use baking powder) but still leave at least overnight.

4. Put the chickpeas in a big pot with enough water to cover them and then some. I add the garlic - peeled teeth - to the chickpeas at this point. It's also common to add an onion (just a whole onion, peeled of course) to the pot at this point. (Dunno if it really does anything for the flavour, but I've never had the experimental guts to leave it out.)

5. Bring to a boil, and then put the heat very low and leave for about 3-5 hours, until the chickpeas are totally, totally soft, effortlessly squished between fingers. At the beginning of the cooking it'll generate this kind of white foam - gather this up with a spoon and throw it away. During the cooking some of the skins might float up. Some people get rid of them at this point, but it's a fussy procedure and I think they're actually supposed to be good for you. It's mostly a question of texture.

6. Cool the whole thing down, (water, chickpeas, onion and all) and stick in the fridge, overnight or at least until it's totally cold. It'll might be just a little gelatinous. (if you want it hot, skip this step - you get a rather different consistency though.)

7. If you're using canned chickpeas, I guess this is the stage you come in. I think canned chickpeas come pre-cooked.

8. Stick **part** of the chickpeas, garlic and water from the pot in a bowl and mash, or in a blender and blend. Add in lemon juice and tahini gradually, stirring and tasting as you go.

Keep adding in the four ingredients: chickpeas, the water the chickpeas was cooked in, tahini and lemon juice, (and garlic, if you didn't cook it or just want more) until you get a flavour and consistency you like.

Tahini *soaks up water* and gets *less* liquidy as water is added to it, up to a certain point. So if you've added a lot of tahini you're going to need a bit more chickpea-water, etc. A little bit like making dough. It's all about playing with the taste and texture that you want. If you're making a lot, make it in several batches.

9. I usually add in a little salt while i'm doing the mixing, and sometimes cumin. All other spices in hummus (except as toppings) are heresy and that's all I'll say to that. ;-P

10. Wash the pot or it will get really gunky. Throw away the onion.

This!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1 LB cooked garbanzos
    2T oilve oil
    5 cloves minced garlic
    1T fresh lemon juice
    1/2 t salt
    1T sesame seeds ( didnt have tahini- its just fine with out it)
    1t black pepper

mash with potato masher till is smooshed
    then put in food proscessor - add about 1/2 c water to help it blend, sometimes more sometimes less
    You can sub peanut butter for tahini
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was the OP of this thread and just checking in to say batch 2 was MUCH better, thanks to some advice I got here! Things I changed: 1) did NOT soak the beans in salt or cook in salt; 2) still cooked in my pressure cooker, but cooked for 50 minutes on low pressure (still added bay leaves and garlic to beans while cooking); 3) semi-peeled the cooked beans :)...kinda messed up on the process of peeling the cooked beans and keeping them separated from the unpeeled one; 4) added more garlic, lemon and cumin and salt; 5) oh yeah, bought a new blender.

One cup dried beans yielded a pretty big batch of hummus. Next time I think I'll cut it in half.

Along with the advice here, I also found this website and found it useful:

http://www.deliciousistanbul.com/blog/2013/04/28/5-secrets-to-perfect-hummus/

Happy hummus making! ~Andielyn
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My recipe is as follows...

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 Can of chickpeas, or dried and cooked (whatever floats your boat)
    1 large red pepper roasted with a little evoo
    1 large head of garlic also roasted w/ evoo
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    s & p to taste (I think fresh cracked black and sea salt taste best)
    2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
    Process as thick or as smooth as you like and serve!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The Smitten Kitchen blogger says to remove the skins of the chickpeas before you blend. I think that is too much work, but she says it results in a much smoother hummus. I am with others on the tahini not being critical, although if you are going to use it, I try to go for a Middle Eastern brand.

It is a pain, but if you can stand it, peeling the chickpeas makes a HUGE difference.

+1 I used this recipe and it was totally delish!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Where in your supermarket do you find tahini? I tried finding some in mine (a large chain, usually don't have trouble finding most things) and couldn't find any. And of course, being a man, I would never DREAM of asking someone who worked there ;)

I've generally just used a bit of sesame oil to get the flavor, but would like to try some with tahini in my next batch.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    In our local Kroger it's actually in a few different places. You can find it in the organic section, in the pickle aisle, in the international food aisle, and I believe near the peanut butter and other nut butters.

I bought the organic unsalted kind. At first I thought that might have been the problem with my first batch, but folks here disagreed and they were right. :)

It's rather pricey but it goes a long way.
  • maddy6686
    maddy6686 Posts: 4
    Options
    What is the calorie content and serving size for your recipe?
  • maddy6686
    maddy6686 Posts: 4
    Options
    1 LB cooked garbanzos
    2T oilve oil
    5 cloves minced garlic
    1T fresh lemon juice
    1/2 t salt
    1t black pepper

then put in food proscessor - add about 1/2 c water to help it blend, sometimes more sometimes less

What is the serving size and calories?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    1 LB cooked garbanzos
    2T oilve oil
    5 cloves minced garlic
    1T fresh lemon juice
    1/2 t salt
    1t black pepper

This is basically what I do but I use tahini (about 1/4 C) and a lot more olive oil, maybe 1/2 C. Sometimes I add different seasonings, once I did chipotle and loved it but now I have a husband and kids who don't do spicy :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe for Homemade Hummus.

1 cup whole white sesame seeds
    1 cup water
    Juice of 3 lemons
    3-4 cloves of garlic
    1-2 tsp of sea salt, to taste
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1 pinch of cayenne pepper

Blend above ingredients in a Vitamix until really smooth and aromatic. It will look slightly grey.

Then add two cans of UNSALTED chickpeas. Add a little more water if you think it needs it. I use the Eden Organic unsalted variety, from the health food store.

This Hummus is SO GOOD it tastes as though you are running off with contraband!!

Notice it has no oil. If you want oil, put a tablespoon or two in for the right "feel."

Yes, I invested in a Vitamix. Your homemade smoothies, hummus, mayonnaise, creams, purees, and soups will never be the same.

It's cheaper than chemotherapy.

;-D
    This looks awesome! I always have plenty of sesame seeds on hand. I wonder if they would grind in my cheap blender or food processor?
    I usually use almond butter because I never have tahini around the house. I just add stuff to taste, without much olive oil. It always seems to come out tasty. I do cook my own chick peas. We are crazy about roasted chickpeas with chipolte/cumin/ lime seasoning so I just cooked about 5 pounds chickpeas in my pressure cooker yesterday. They taste so much better from dried than canned! I also can my own beans, which also taste a lot better than store bought.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I made my first batch of homemade hummus last week and it wasn't the best. I used organic salt-free tahini and think that was part of my problem. Any advice or good recipes to share? It didn't help that my blender broke while trying to puree it :(

Emulsify the tahini in lemon juice and olive oil before you start adding in the chickpeas. Garlic salt, sea salt, cayenne, cumin and paprika all make excellent additions depending on the flavor you're going for.
    Smoked paprika or ground chipolte chile gives a nice,smoky flavor. I love adding it to my hummus!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Water..adding small amounts in the final blend makes it smooth
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Bump and thanks.
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas everyone!! Thanks
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe for Homemade Hummus.

1 cup whole white sesame seeds
    1 cup water
    Juice of 3 lemons
    3-4 cloves of garlic
    1-2 tsp of sea salt, to taste
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1 pinch of cayenne pepper

Blend above ingredients in a Vitamix until really smooth and aromatic. It will look slightly grey.

Then add two cans of UNSALTED chickpeas. Add a little more water if you think it needs it. I use the Eden Organic unsalted variety, from the health food store.

This Hummus is SO GOOD it tastes as though you are running off with contraband!!

Notice it has no oil. If you want oil, put a tablespoon or two in for the right "feel."

Yes, I invested in a Vitamix. Your homemade smoothies, hummus, mayonnaise, creams, purees, and soups will never be the same.

It's cheaper than chemotherapy.

;-D
    This looks awesome! I always have plenty of sesame seeds on hand. I wonder if they would grind in my cheap blender or food processor?
    I usually use almond butter because I never have tahini around the house. I just add stuff to taste, without much olive oil. It always seems to come out tasty. I do cook my own chick peas. We are crazy about roasted chickpeas with chipolte/cumin/ lime seasoning so I just cooked about 5 pounds chickpeas in my pressure cooker yesterday. They taste so much better from dried than canned! I also can my own beans, which also taste a lot better than store bought.

Do you have other recipes for the VItamix you're willing to share. Looking for dressings, mayonnaise. That would be great! Thanks
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can make hummus using sprouted garbanzo beans
    soak dry beans for a few hours
    put them in a strainer damp
    rinse them off a couple times a day
    for about 2 days
    just enough so the very tiny tip of a sprout starts to show. just BARELY
    use them like cooked garbanzos
    the result will be sweeter hummus, and less savory
    some people claim its more nutritious this way.