Do you eat breakfast?

Options
Hello!

I know i should be eating breakfast but i honestly can't stomach it, i've tried a few times and ended up feeling so bad i just don't feel like it's worth it, and i struggle to keep my meals under my calorie limit as it is without adding another whole meal to the equation
Is this going to affect my health and weight loss in the long term? What sorts of things do you have for breakfast that are easy and quick and not likely to make me feel sick? I'm a bit stuck for ideas. Has anyone else/does anyone else not eat breakfast either and do you find eating it makes a difference?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Eat it, don't eat it...do whatever feels right for you and gets you through the day with enough energy that you aren't tired all the time.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Why should you be eating breakfast? Nothing special about breakfast that makes it essential. If you're not a breakfast person, don't eat breakfast.

Rigger
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if you dont want to eat breakfast then dont, meal timing is not important. I only eat one meal a day, at 8pm
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Agreed with what everyone else says.

The misconception is that it is the most important meal of the day and that is just plain false.

If you are not hungry and cannot stand it then dont eat it and that gives you more to eat later.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said... Personal pref, doesn't matter. Do what works best for you.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Probably not going to make a difference. Calories in versus calories out is the key, not meal frequency.

For me breakfast is the my most favorite meal of the day. I can put together a lot of my favorite things and feel satisfied when I am done. That doesn't happen as often with lunch or dinner/supper. In fact there are times when I am done making breakfast I look at my plate and wonder how can I have all this and it be under 400 calories.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat until 1
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is buying me a late brunch, I only eat between noon and 10 pm. Search for some intermittent fasting groups here on the forums.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yup, each and every morning. I'd probably end up killing someone if I didn't eat something.
  • Raggedy_Ann
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast eater my whole life, my parents gave up the fight when I was a teen. I need my coffee with cream, and for a while I was forcing myself to eat a banana every morning. I recently decided I still despise breakfast, and bananas doubly so, and gave it up. I'm much happier and more importantly I can do it forever and still manage calories the rest of the day.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I even am able to splurge and get Manhattan Bagel for a lot of my mornings. An asparagus, eggwhite mushroom, and swiss sandwich on a whole-wheat bagel thin with a large black coffee is less than 360 calories, and it keeps me full until my lunch.

One of the "fun" parts about being diabetic is waking up with a glucose of 72, and, in these cases, I need to eat in order to prevent myself from going into hypoglycemia before lunch.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I do, but ifd you don't want to, don't sweat it. It won't hinder weight loss, despite common beliefs.

I usually have 2 scoops of my cookies n' cream protein powder, a little water, 1/8 cup of raw egg whites and a cup of fresh strawberries, blended. Delicious.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency does not matter, just make sure you are getting your calories in for that day and hitting your macro's. Breakfast comes down to personal preferences which I for one am a breakfast person.... Best of Luck
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to, but now I do... but I rarely eat past 6.30pm anymore, so comes 7.30am, I'm starving... while I used to eat past 9pm easily.
  • GeorgieGuitar
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I think i was under the illusion 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' that's so frequently shoved in my face. 'How do you expect to lose weight when you never eat breakfast?' - my partner a few days ago, kinda got me thinking i needed to, but i'm definitely not going to start forcing it on myself now, i'll let him know haha!
    I'm very relieved i'm not the only one that doesn't eat it, and as long as it's not going to affect me (it hasn't yet in 18 years so i don't suppose it will start now!) i'll just focus on eating more nutritional meals later in the day :)
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    The only reason that there is a belief that breakfast is needed is because many people with a tendency to binge skip breakfast and then get so hungry that they overeat at lunch and end up gaining weight. Some people will have difficulty with energy levels if they do not eat breakfast too and so eating helps them to keep their diet on track and make healthier choices. But if you feel fine and aren't hungry and it's not affecting your ability to stay on track then you don't need to worry about it. In fact, fasting gives your body a break, improves insulin sensitivity and helps with weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I think i was under the illusion 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' that's so frequently shoved in my face. 'How do you expect to lose weight when you never eat breakfast?' - my partner a few days ago, kinda got me thinking i needed to, but i'm definitely not going to start forcing it on myself now, i'll let him know haha!
    I'm very relieved i'm not the only one that doesn't eat it, and as long as it's not going to affect me (it hasn't yet in 18 years so i don't suppose it will start now!) i'll just focus on eating more nutritional meals later in the day :)

Different people react differently to meal timing. The way these rumors get started is from someone who is excited that they found something that works for them personally and make the false assumption that it will work the same way for everyone else and start proclaiming loudly "You must do X in order to achieve Y". Their intentions might be good but that is a false assumption.

For example lets say there was a person who never got in the habit of eating breakfast and one day for whatever reason decided to make a habit of it. After they did they found they felt a lot better, had a lot more energy and on top of that didn't feel nearly as famished and so had an easier time with portion size and ended up losing weight. They then act like they have found the miracle secret to weight loss and go around telling everyone how important it is to eat breakfast. That's how these rumors get started.

Bottom line play around a bit, experiment with yourself find out what works and what doesn't. If it doesn't work for you be honest that it doesn't work for you and realize that the people telling you "you must do this" are just being overbearing about what has worked for them personally.

There is no need to feel guilty about not eating breakfast.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I typically was not a breakfast eater. Eating at a deficit has turned my into one. I am pretty hungry an hour after I wake up,
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Happily skip breakfast everyday, well not unless you count coffee but lets not be silly here.