Article I Stumbled Across: Calorie Vs Calorie

Options
ThinLizzie0802
ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
http://www.youbeauty.com/nutrition/everything-in-moderation?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc

Read the article...The name is "Why Eating 'Everything in Moderation' is a Total Myth"

A sample..

"Why You're Fat: Because Eating "Everything in Moderation" is a Total Myth

You can chow down on those Cheetos as long as you log an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill, right? Um, no. Sorry to burst your caloric-counting bubble, but it’s not so simple.

“Calories in versus calories out” has become a sort of one-size-fits-all mantra for those wanting to fit into that one-size-too-small dress. This widespread theory has bred a generation of calorie-counting devotees that can rationalize eating anything as long as they keep below their daily calorie limit—or put in extra time at the gym."

Debate

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    Another excerpt:

"The results showed that, when it comes to losing weight, it’s actually more about quality than quantity when it comes to what you put in your mouth. “Eating more of several specific foods was actually associated with relative weight loss,” says Dr. Mozaffarian. “This indicates that the path to eating fewer calories is not to simply count calories, but to focus on consuming a more healthy diet in general.”

I post this because this article goes against a school of thought that is prominent on MFP, and I just want to hear what everyone has to say about it. Thanks!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    run.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    * Just to clarify

I did not post this because this is what I believe. It is primarily the opposite of what I believe and what is working for me.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Don't think I need to read it, it's more than likely chalk full of excuses from folks who aren't doing the work and need a convenient scapegoat. If they're going to try to tell me that 160 calories of Cheetos is going to make me fat, but I can eat as much chicken breast and veggies as I want and lose weight they can pack sand, I'm not buying it.

Rigger
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    For me... calories in/calories out worked great until I got to goal. But (again, for me!) now I notice that it is more about the quality of calories vs the quantity of calories.

---I will now run from the room before the.... uh.... tomatoes... hit the fan!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Not even going to bother......lol
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    CICO is dummy-proof, the fitness industry would crumble if everyone knew how to count calories and set up their own diets.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First of all, a calorie (small c) is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 °C. From a purely thermodynamic standpoint there is no difference between one calorie and the next. And over the longish haul ( and macro scale), in versus out IS the final ruling of the first law of thermodynamics. No matter what the writers wish, they cannot change that.

However, the source of that energy and what the body has to do to store it, release it, or utilize it is a very different topic even if the food is not particularly healthy. And that is the second law of thermodynamics. You can't violate that law either. We, as humans, are "low entropic" creatures.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think what is being discussed here is being healthy vs losing weight. Most everyone can lose weight with the calories in vs calories out. Yes, I can eat M&Ms, remain under my calorie goal, and lose weight. Will I be healthy. No. This article http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158 shows that you can eat crap and lose weight. He did also exercise, so he was a little better off I think than someone who sat on their butt and ate McDonalds. However, I think we all can agree that McDonalds is not healthy food. In order to be healthy, lose weight, and maintain a healthy lifestyle, I believe that the quality of the food ultimately does matter. In the end though, it is not essential to losing weight. My opinion, your mileage may vary, etc.

Agreed! I also think a calorie is a calorie to an extent. Personally, I lost my first 44 pounds by following "everything in moderation". Now, I'm looking to lose another 10 or so pounds and reduce my body fat percentage and I feel like the only way I will achieve that is by eating healthier.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    * Just to clarify

I did not post this because this is what I believe. It is primarily the opposite of what I believe and what is working for me.

So why post it? Why go trying to stir up trouble? I smell troll...
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "Debate"

yawn...."around the horn" is on
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    CICO is dummy-proof, the fitness industry would crumble if everyone knew how to count calories and set up their own diets.

+1
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think what is being discussed here is being healthy vs losing weight. Most everyone can lose weight with the calories in vs calories out. Yes, I can eat M&Ms, remain under my calorie goal, and lose weight. Will I be healthy. No. This article http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158 shows that you can eat crap and lose weight. He did also exercise, so he was a little better off I think than someone who sat on their butt and ate McDonalds. However, I think we all can agree that McDonalds is not healthy food. In order to be healthy, lose weight, and maintain a healthy lifestyle, I believe that the quality of the food ultimately does matter. In the end though, it is not essential to losing weight. My opinion, your mileage may vary, etc.
    Actually, I don't think that's necessarily true. As much as people on this site like to tout it, McDonald's and other fast food restaurants aren't "evil." I actually heard the man this article is about on the radio a few months ago talking about this "diet." He did it to prove a point: that people shouldn't just point their fingers at the fast food industry and blame them for the fact that we, as a society, are getting fatter. He did it as a response to the "Super Size Me" film because he believed it was irresponsible journalism. His point was that there IS "healthy" food at McDonald's, people just need to make the right choices. His typical day was egg white sandwiches for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a chicken wrap for dinner, although it varied. Somehow, that doesn't sound like a completely horrible diet to me, but what do I know? I'm not saying, and neither is he, that everyone should eat at McDonald's for every meal but healthy choices can be found there if one just looks for them.

As far as "calories in vs. calories out" it's not true for everyone, regardless of whether or not it works for you. Diabetics need to watch sugar and carbs in general. Those with PCOS need to do the same to help them lose weight. Everyone is different and generalizing helps no one.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    * Just to clarify

So why post it? Why go trying to stir up trouble? I smell troll...

Sorry, not trolling. Lots of people are reading this article and completely agreeing on the site I viewed it on. Part of learning is acknowledging that there are opposite opinions of your own, reading the info, and figuring out if what you thought still holds true. There is nothing wrong with wanting to explore and understand why this info has been presented.