Yale threatened to expel student for having a low BMI...

Options
She "won", but it's pathetic that this country has become so accustomed to obesity that a naturally thin woman of Asian makeup, with no signs of an eating disorder, is put through an ordeal like this:

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/yale-university-drops-threat-to-kick-out-student-for-being-too-skinny-180302055.html

Can you imagine the uproar if a university threatened expulsion, and forced medical treatment, on students who were overweight and obese according to their BMI?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Ridonkadonk.

For as smart as you have to be to get in, Yale sure is run by a bunch of idiots. SMH.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Jeeze, she's a lot more compliant than I would have been, I would have been at a lawyer when they told me they weren't optional.

She looks skinny but fine.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    My God, and apparently they're in the habit of doing this to slender students:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frances-chan/yale-eating-disorders_b_4921382.html
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Because low BMI & weight are the only indicators of anorexia. :noway:

Stoopid!! :grumble:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Schools can kick you out for being having a low bmi?

Also this speaks to an issue with BMI in general, as it's fairly common for Asians to be considered 'underweight' by BMI, when they are in fact of a very healthy weight. They happen to be naturally smaller/lighter.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. I would sue them big time if I were her
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It shows what crap the BMI is.
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm really tired of the public (and, apparently, now corporate companies and Yale) trying to regulate women's bodies. Period. Whether she actually looks ok is irrelevant. I don't want to live in a world where some other person or entity is worried about my health or body.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would feel so dehumanized by this experience. I know from going for mental health examinations they are very uncomfortable and make you admit things you sometimes don't want to, but mine were by choice. To force someone to have to have a mental health examination for an eating disorder, which would be intense and very hypercritical of every opinion towards food, is so unethical. She made a choice to go to the school, the school can control the cafeteria and the foods they eat, but it can't control genetics and your health. Imagine the uproar if this happened to a clinically obese student? The accept-overweight-people-as-they-are crowd would be all in a tiff because of it. This poor woman. I'm her age and being in college and having something dramatic happen there is one of those things that stays with you a long time.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I'm really tired of the public (and, apparently, now corporate companies and Yale) trying to regulate women's bodies. Period. Whether she actually looks ok is irrelevant. I don't want to live in a world where some other person or entity is worried about my health or body.

Thank you!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    WTH? I read about this. What is with the damn food police? Who the heck are they to tell anyone how much they should/n't weigh under any circumstances? I'm with Edisonsbulb! Tell it girl!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I saw this and thought it was outrageous. It raises some questions too, are they doing this to men, and to the overweight? My guess is no. So crazy!
  • susannamarie
    Options
    They are doing it to men (following the links revealed at least one male student who was chased after because of his low BMI) but I don't think so about the overweight.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    They are doing it to men (following the links revealed at least one male student who was chased after because of his low BMI) but I don't think so about the overweight.

Still absurd. I know so many "skinny" men (and women) who absolutely do not have eating disorders.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think that its weird that a school actually said something to her versus a friend or family member. It wasn't their place to say anything. I feel like that was an invasion of privacy and she also had to jump through all these hoops to prove she wasn't.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like the responses in this thread.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised she wasn't smart enough to just keep adding weight to her pockets when she went for her weekly weigh-ins, because I've never been to a doctor's appointment where they forced you to take off clothes before stepping on their scale. (They've even weighed me with a coat and boots on at some places.)
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised she wasn't smart enough to just keep adding weight to her pockets when she went for her weekly weigh-ins, because I've never been to a doctor's appointment where they forced you to take off clothes before stepping on their scale. (They've even weighed me with a coat and boots on at some places.)

She shouldn't have to add weights, simply because of the ridiculousness of the situation.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

She shouldn't have to add weights, simply because of the ridiculousness of the situation.
    She shouldn't have had to, but ridiculous situations call for ridiculous solutions. She said she was so upset about it yet continued to just go along with whatever they told her to do. Seems her problem-solving skills and communications skills were very lacking if it took that long to finally get someone's attention or mention that she had always weighed that much.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

She shouldn't have had to, but ridiculous situations call for ridiculous solutions. She said she was so upset about it yet continued to just go along with whatever they told her to do. Seems her problem-solving skills and communications skills were very lacking if it took that long to finally get someone's attention or mention that she had always weighed that much.

Well she is young.

Sometimes when a person cares about health and a doctor says they are unhealthy they need time to figure it out.

She didn't think to add weights because that would appear to be the actions of a person that was "guilty" of disorder and dysfunction.