Heat and working out

Options
So, it's getting warm where I live. Today, it was 80 degrees. I went for a run, and I started seeing spots at around 20 minutes. I have this problem every summer, as it gets over 100 where I live and sometimes is 80 by 7am.. I am pretty heat sensitive and I know to stay hydrated and stop when I see spots, but Short of running at 1am, what are some ways to beat the heat? I don't have AC in my house or I would just forego running for workout videos all summer :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I tend to swim more in the summer. If I get out on my bike or out for a run, it's generally before dawn.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I tend to swim more in the summer. If I get out on my bike or out for a run, it's generally before dawn.
    Does swimming grow on you? I've always hated swimming as an exercise but never really committed to a routine. Not that it matters much as I don't have access to a pool.. Haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does swimming grow on you? I've always hated swimming as an exercise but never really committed to a routine. Not that it matters much as I don't have access to a pool.. Haha

I've always loved swimming...I've swam since before I can even remember; my first swim lesson I was 9 months old. I did swim team for a number of years growing up and was a life guard in high school. In the military I did amphibious assault so I spent a good deal of time swimming in the ocean for water quals.

I'm pretty at home in the water....

Is there not a city pool where you live? I just go to one of the city pools during lap sessions/adult swim or to the community center pool. I also like to ride my bike and during most of the year I do this during my lunch break and one longer ride on the weekends but during the summer I'm out on my bike around 4:45 - 5AM to beat the heat. I live in the high desert of New Mexico. I did the same when I ran more.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You need to run way slower in the heat. And hydrate on a daily basis - not just right before you go.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I have just been through summer where I live. Summer temps can range here from between 37 celcius to mid 40s for most of summer and where I work it can get to high 40's easily and not get under 35 even at night. I will usually run either before daqwn or well after it sets or run on a treadmill in the airconditioning while I'm at work. I find that my usual route along the beach has quite a few public showers so I keep well drenched with those.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go earlier when it isn't as hot. hydrate. wear the right kind of clothing. cotton doesn't breathe and absorbs so much sweat and won't help cool you down.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Gym membership? You could do classes, run on a treadmill (I know, not the same as outside, but better than nothing) and even try other things. And it's a lot better than being outside in the heat.
  • shantz85
    shantz85 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have the same problem. I live in Southern California & I love going for hikes, but today it's 95 out & I think I might die if I try.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't have central AC but a window unit plus additional fan, with a bottle of water, does the trick for me working out at home when it's hot out. Also at home sometimes I will work out wearing just underwear and sports bra. Can't do that outside!