Options
marygirl05
marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
how do you train for a 5 k?

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It really depends upon your 'starting fitness level' but there are some great "Couch to 5K" training schedules on the interweb:-

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Have fun
  • mjlittle70
    Options
    I'm doing the couch to 5K as well and I found a really great app called run double. It keeps up with the times and whether I should be walking or running. Check out the concept on line and see if it's for you. I would recommend getting the app as well. It's helped quite a bit and it ads the workout to myfitnesspal automatically. There are other apps as well to explore.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You just start running.....and keep at it..
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    It's not that easy for some folks. Some can but others need a plan with guidance and encouragement.
  • marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's not that easy for some folks. Some can but others need a plan with guidance and encouragement.

This is where I am at. yes I just started running but I really want to do a 5K and def need the guidance. I am meeting tomorrow with a coworker who has run many 5ks and will be able to point me in the right direction.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did C25K outdoors last summer and made it 1/2 way through the program before it just became too hot & humid out for me to run during the day with my daughter in the stroller.

Lame excuse, but I digress.

I resumed the program 3 weeks ago indoors on the treadmill but picked up where I left off. I had myself convinced that I couldn't run for longer than the 5 minute interval I was at on the app.

And then two days ago, I challenged myself to just run until I couldn't run any longer. I ran 5.7K in 36 minutes and today I did 5.1K in 29 :) The program works, but sometimes you have to push yourself and see how far you can go! Good luck!
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K apps are good. Also the Nike running app has a coach setting now that's really good. Both start with intervals to build endurance and help prevent the injuries that are common to new runners. I found a local running group that does the training for free and started that way, I'm not sure if that's an option where you are. Also check online for plans, especially if you don't use phone apps, here's one that matches one of the apps and provides a schedule for you:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Cool - meeting with others to run or joining a club is a great way to start. Just take it easy, don't do too much too soon or you could become injured and have to stop for a while.

When my wife started running with me .. we walked a lot but she was soon knocking out her first 1, then 2k etc.. and now runs a full 5km (we have a Saturday parkrun near us - and she loves it).

So, take it easy, get the right shoes and the right people to train with... Oh and SMILE
  • Crystalquartz
    Options
    I try to walk 5k nearly every day, now my fitness is up a little bit more ive downloaded and interval timer app that was free and I am trying walking for 2 minutes and jogging for 1 minute. I am hoping to increase that over time. Good luck with finding what works for you :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K about 3.5 years ago...I just ran my 3rd marathon, so the program works if you stick with it and believe that you can do it.