Just gotta get it out

Options
Sorry whoever reads this, but I just need to get something off of my chest. Here's the background. My BF did the HCG diet and lost about 38 pounds earlier this year and she has an additional 12 pounds to go before she reaches her goad for the year. I tried the HCG, but it didn't work for me; so I started MFP to make myself accountable to what I eat, do, etc. I had surgery 3 weeks and finally was able to get out of the house on Friday and I met up with my BF. She knows I am working of losing weight. Earlier in the evening, my family and I went out for dinner. So when I met up with my BF, she hadn't eaten yet. We stopped at a mexican place, ordered a drink and she ordered food. I didn't want to order anything because I had already eaten, which I explained to her and she kept asking "what are you getting". I told her I'm trying to lose weight and instead of telling me order something, you should be telling me "good job" on not over-eating. So, she played the guilt thing saying "I can't order anything until you do, so I guess I'm not going to eat." Long story short, I order an extremely small appetizer with shrimp, cilantro, and onions on a corn tortilla. She was disappointed I didn't get more, buy hey I ordered.

What I can't figure out is why she did all of that. She's suppose to be my best friend and supportive of what I do. I support her and her goals, whether she's focused on them or not. I don't know if it's because she doesn't want me to do as well as her? I just don't know.

Anyway, it's off my chest so now I can let it go and just keep focusing on my weight loss. Thanks for taking the time to read. Have a great day all.

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    SABOTAGE!!! if she is your BF as you say then you should be able to tell her what you are feeling! Don't let anyone get in your way! lose the weight you want and do it the way you want too!!!! Good luck!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating when people go out of their way to sabatoge your hard work! I don't think it was a jealousy thing...at least, not intentionally. Good for you for not ordering something huge!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    SABOTAGE!!! if she is your BF as you say then you should be able to tell her what you are feeling! Don't let anyone get in your way! lose the weight you want and do it the way you want too!!!! Good luck!

I get this a lot. My best friend and I are dieting together as well, but we are supporting and cheering for eachother. Swapping clothes and exersizing together and having fun. That's the way it should be. NOT about food. Some just do not know how to handle their jealousy of others successes.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Stick to your guns. When I do, I always feel better about it when I think back on it the next day.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Stick to your guns. When I do, I always feel better about it when I think back on it the next day.

this.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I'm like you and would have given in and bought something to eat so I completely understand. She probably felt self conscious about being the "fat girl" eating in front of other people when you were sitting beside her not eating. Not everyone eats at the same time and its pointless for you to waste the money on food that you won't eat. Sorry you had to go through that. Try your best to avoid situations like that in the future if you can. Tell her you'll meet up with her later instead.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    It's the "right thing" to try and be polite about it, but, seriously, if your BF can't understand and be supportive, who can?

Don't give in to peer pressure, and definitely don't avoid going places because you're afraid of the possibility of conflict. I decided to cut back on the alcohol lately. Went out to a bar with some fellow biker buddies. Went like this:

Cocktail Waitress: "Can I take your order?"
    Road Dog: "Diet Coke."
    Buddy: "Diet coke? WTF?"
    Road Dog: "Don't feel like a drink."
    Buddy: "Don't feel like a drink? WTF?"
    Road Dog: "Shut the $#%@ up and get some singles for the stripper."
    Buddy: "Sure. Sorry."
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, even BF's have issues. And I even have different friend's for different things. i don't mean that I use them, but for example, my best friend in the whole world is very irresponsible. I have learned over the years if we need to be there by 10am , I tell her we need to leave by 8am. I can tell her everything. She "gets" me. She had issues when I started getting serious about my husband, when we were dating. I think maybe she thought I was leaving her behind. Maybe your friend is feeling low with you losing weight or maybe she misses her "eating buddy". My mom is my "eating buddy". I swear I am a saint and then I go stay by
    Mom and we snack and stay up late and eat all the wrong things. In truth , it's fun, but not healthy.Who knows what goes on inside a person's head.You are making a healthy choice for your future. Your friend will come round if she 's true. Good luck, I know it hurts. :flowerforyou:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    It's the "right thing" to try and be polite about it, but, seriously, if your BF can't understand and be supportive, who can?

Don't give in to peer pressure, and definitely don't avoid going places because you're afraid of the possibility of conflict. I decided to cut back on the alcohol lately. Went out to a bar with some fellow biker buddies. Went like this:

Cocktail Waitress: "Can I take your order?"
    Road Dog: "Diet Coke."
    Buddy: "Diet coke? WTF?"
    Road Dog: "Don't feel like a drink."
    Buddy: "Don't feel like a drink? WTF?"
    Road Dog: "Shut the $#%@ up and get some singles for the stripper."
    Buddy: "Sure. Sorry."

Just like dat!

ROTFLMAO!!! 24.gif
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This might sound harsh/weird.. I don't know. But you should not trust anyone so much. Good friends good, best friends even better. But no one puts you before them and they want to be better than you. So care for yourself. No one else will if you yourself don't.
    Good luck.