Can do!!

Options
cychogal
cychogal Posts: 39 Member
Yes, I can! I have been a member here, off and on, for a long time. I've had previous accounts and deleted them because I felt like I wasn't doing myself or anyone any good.
But I have been spending a lot of time lately, looking at pictures. I have a high school graduate this spring and am working on some displays, etc. But anyway, I see pictures of myself. And it's really hard. Hard to see pictures of when I was thinner. Hard to see pictures of myself looking so unfamiliar. Who is this person I've become? she is almost unrecognizable to me.
I catch my reflection and I cringe.
I just saw an article about things successful dieters have in common, and that is the belief in themselves that they CAN do it.
I posted a topic a few days ago about fear. Fear of losing weight, and then gaining it back. Which would be the ultimate failure. And I have always heard that losing weight is the easy part -- keeping it off is hard. But I've only had very minor success at losing weight. And I've always gained it back. So I keep thinking that if I can't get the 'easy ' part or actually talking the weight off in the first place, there's really no hope of keeping it off, if I should miraculously lose the weight I need to lose.
But.... that attitude needs to take a hike. No more. I can lose weight. We all can. I can keep it off. I'm not destined to fail.
And I cannot wait till things settle down... till the weather warms up...or whatever the 'excuse of the day' may be.
I'm doing this. I'm committed. I'm finished being a fat frump. I deserve better. I am 50 years old and I know that carrying around a bunch of extra fat is going to accelerate the aging process. I am losing muscle rapidly, so I need to build it up as much as I can. I need to keep my bones strong. It all goes together and works to make a healthier happier me.

Replies

• iseeakendall
    iseeakendall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the can do attitude! Just being able to say "I deserve this" is so difficult!. Remember to also support yourself as you would a friend, without the harsh judgements and the "I ****ed up, it's impossible." Give yourself the same compassion. We make mistakes and have got to find a way over em or they bury us! My acting instructor for a beginner class I'm taking says he likes the image of a giant wastebasket in the middle of the stage. If someone makes a mistake they just gotta throw that away and keep going. Good luck and again, congrats! (: