Salvadoran Food

Options
debrakgoogins
debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
Anyone have some great, low cal recipes for Salvadoran Food? My Guatemalan son-in-law recently introduced me to Papusas and I can't get enough.

Replies

• nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are some really good sounding ones on Pinterest, but I haven't tried any except for the Papusas and a shredded pork dish (Chicharon?). Not sure if either qualifies as low call! Hope someone posts something!
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Pupusas are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But about 350 calories a piece! So sad lol
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My day was sort of shot from how I had it planned out, so I found myself with extra time (and calories) to burn. I decided to play around with a Salvadoran Quesadilla (Breakfast Cake) that I found online and see if I could lighten it up from the original. The results are delicious! Kind of a cross between a pound cake and a lighter cheesecake. The hard cheese adds a nuttiness to the batter - don't leave it out even though it sounds strange!

Mine came out to 122 calories each, down from the original recipe which ran to over 278 each. Rest of nutrition is below.

Salvadoran Breakfast Cake (Modified from Studio52) Lightened
    Makes 12
    Preheat oven to 350

1 c Brown Rice Flour
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    pinch salt (I omitted due to trying to cut my sodium)
    1/2 c Truvia Baking Blend (or sweetener equiv to 1 cup sugar)
    8 oz Cream Cheese
    3 Eggs (large)
    1 c Greek Yogurt
    1/2 Grated Parmesan Cheese (or other hard cheese)
    Sesame Seeds (optional, to taste)

Grease and have ready a 12 cup muffin pan (even if non-stick, grease it!)

Mix Flour and BP, set aside. In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar together until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping bowl as needed. Add dry ingredients and cheese and mix to smooth batter.

Fill muffin cups evenly. Sprinkle with Sesame seeds if using. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden. The batter does not rise much and cups will look quite full, but will be fine!

Let cool to room temperature before removing. Really good with coffee!

Calories 122
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3 g 5 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 6 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 66 g 22 %
    Sodium 143 mg 6 %
    Potassium 80 mg 2 %
    Total Carbohydrate 20 g 7 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 3 %
    Sugars 7 g
    Protein 7 g 13 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 1 %
    Iron 20 %
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    My day was sort of shot from how I had it planned out, so I found myself with extra time (and calories) to burn. I decided to play around with a Salvadoran Quesadilla (Breakfast Cake) that I found online and see if I could lighten it up from the original. The results are delicious! Kind of a cross between a pound cake and a lighter cheesecake. The hard cheese adds a nuttiness to the batter - don't leave it out even though it sounds strange!

Mine came out to 122 calories each, down from the original recipe which ran to over 278 each. Rest of nutrition is below.

Salvadoran Breakfast Cake (Modified from Studio52) Lightened
    Makes 12
    Preheat oven to 350

1 c Brown Rice Flour
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    pinch salt (I omitted due to trying to cut my sodium)
    1/2 c Truvia Baking Blend (or sweetener equiv to 1 cup sugar)
    8 oz Cream Cheese
    3 Eggs (large)
    1 c Greek Yogurt
    1/2 Grated Parmesan Cheese (or other hard cheese)
    Sesame Seeds (optional, to taste)

Grease and have ready a 12 cup muffin pan (even if non-stick, grease it!)

Mix Flour and BP, set aside. In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar together until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping bowl as needed. Add dry ingredients and cheese and mix to smooth batter.

Fill muffin cups evenly. Sprinkle with Sesame seeds if using. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden. The batter does not rise much and cups will look quite full, but will be fine!

Let cool to room temperature before removing. Really good with coffee!

Calories 122
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3 g 5 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 6 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 66 g 22 %
    Sodium 143 mg 6 %
    Potassium 80 mg 2 %
    Total Carbohydrate 20 g 7 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 3 %