Keep considering Paleo

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I tried a Whole 30 a while back and made it about 5-6 days before getting off track. I still lost 6 pounds that week, and I really enjoyed eating that way. MOST of my food cooked at home is Paleo friendly (though not super strict- I can't afford the right meats to be perfectly strict paleo, but I don't eat many grains, I only cook with olive and coconut oils, etc.)

There are a few things about switching to Paleo that will be somewhat of a challenge. I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I don't eat them often because I don't eat too much bread. I also love peanut butter on celery and apples. However, I ALSO like almond butter, and even though it's more expensive, that's a pretty easy swap to make. I also like things like hummus, but I don't eat it often.

The MAIN thing that is a challenge is the dairy thing. I drink whole milk in moderation, and LOVE cheese and Greek yogurt (plain 2% sweetened with honey or maple syrup). I suppose I do eat too much cheese, and don't need it every day, but I don't know if I can completely give up dairy. Everything from the parmesan shreds on my favorite salad to greek yogurt dip with veggies to milk mixed with vanilla, chia seeds, and honey as a dessert.

I've had canned, full-fat coconut milk (though it isn't always the best option for me), and I can definitely look for a safe brand of almond milk (or eventually try making my own).

I just don't know about giving up dairy entirely.

I do plan on having a cheat meal once a week (like I do now), plus there will be certain days that will be "free" days (like my Birthday), but even that seems like it's too much.

Plus, I don't always eat the healthiest foods. I'll admit, I DO go to Taco Bell on occasion for dinner- within my WW point range though.

If you really think you will struggle with a paleo or LCHF diet I would suggest not going down that route.

LCHF is a lifestyle change and not for everyone.

Your best bet is to log all of your food and count calories, as long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Make sure you are eating enough protein.

Aside from the food one eats what other aspects of one's lifestyle are affected by adopting a LCHF diet?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I tried a Whole 30 a while back and made it about 5-6 days before getting off track. I still lost 6 pounds that week, and I really enjoyed eating that way. MOST of my food cooked at home is Paleo friendly (though not super strict- I can't afford the right meats to be perfectly strict paleo, but I don't eat many grains, I only cook with olive and coconut oils, etc.)

There are a few things about switching to Paleo that will be somewhat of a challenge. I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I don't eat them often because I don't eat too much bread. I also love peanut butter on celery and apples. However, I ALSO like almond butter, and even though it's more expensive, that's a pretty easy swap to make. I also like things like hummus, but I don't eat it often.

The MAIN thing that is a challenge is the dairy thing. I drink whole milk in moderation, and LOVE cheese and Greek yogurt (plain 2% sweetened with honey or maple syrup). I suppose I do eat too much cheese, and don't need it every day, but I don't know if I can completely give up dairy. Everything from the parmesan shreds on my favorite salad to greek yogurt dip with veggies to milk mixed with vanilla, chia seeds, and honey as a dessert.

I've had canned, full-fat coconut milk (though it isn't always the best option for me), and I can definitely look for a safe brand of almond milk (or eventually try making my own).

I do plan on having a cheat meal once a week (like I do now), plus there will be certain days that will be "free" days (like my Birthday), but even that seems like it's too much.

Plus, I don't always eat the healthiest foods. I'll admit, I DO go to Taco Bell on occasion for dinner- within my WW point range though.

If you really think you will struggle with a paleo or LCHF diet I would suggest not going down that route.

Your best bet is to log all of your food and count calories, as long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Make sure you are eating enough protein.

Aside from the food one eats what other aspects of one's lifestyle are affected by adopting a LCHF diet?

I think changing the foods you eat long term can be considered a life style change - what's your issue?
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can also follow the "primal" form of paleo, which includes dairy. So (no) not technically 100% paleo, but close enough. I like yourself like dairy and didn't want to fully give up. Some REALLY good websites for primal and paleo are: Mark's Daily Apple & The Paleo Mom. There are lots of tips and recipes. Plus it is pretty easy to find recipes for "Paleo" breads. I've tried a few and they are quite good. That is up to you though. I personally like the primal/paleo direction, but to each his/her own. :)
  • sjohnny
    Options

I think changing the foods you eat long term can be considered a life style change - what's your issue?

I don't have an issue. I was asking a question. Parle usted Ingles?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That escalated quickly. I didn't realize asking a question in regards to a statement made in order to gain clarification on said statement was an attack. The more you know?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

That escalated quickly. I didn't realize asking a question in regards to a statement made in order to gain clarification on said statement was an attack. The more you know?

It seems an odd question, just wished too know what the angle to asking it is?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Why does there have to be an angle?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

If you love all those foods then why don't you just keep eating in a calorie deficit and continue to eat them???? Paleo is not some magical fat burning solution. You can achieve the same results with a 500 calorie per day deficit, and still eat the foods that you like…sounds like a win to me...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Why does there have to be an angle?

This is MFP - there normally is!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I like the 80/20 rule too. I eat mostly Paleo foods, but I did not give up on my Greek yogurt (plain, 0%).

then its not even Paleo and why do it??? LOL

I swear it is amusing to watch the Paleo folks twist and turn it into something that it is not so that it will fit into what they want to do ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

this from the king of odd questions and statements….
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I need to ask odd questions to cut through your derp. Lol

Besides I normally have an issue or angle when I ask questions. I think most people honest with themselves would admit to that.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Besides I normally have an issue or angle when I ask questions. I think most people honest with themselves would admit to that.

This from the king of derp.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Well you are entitled to you opinion.
  • ndj1979
    Options

i was thinking Emperor Derp
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

i was thinking Emperor Derp

Well I did suggest that the op follow IIFYM, so I suppose in this thread my Derp is running high. ????
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to make things so complicated or follow some sort of "diet"?

You have a list of foods you like to eat, some that are included in the various "diet" plans out there. You say yourself that you like certain parts of this diet or that diet, or that you like this diet but don't want to give up food X. So make up your own diet, "the HLB diet," and incorporate all the foods you like to eat while maintaining the calorie deficit necessary to lose.

Who know, maybe your "diet" will be the next big thing. :)
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I suppose what I'm really looking at is a paleo-ish approach. Ordering more "paleo-approved" meals when eating out, and limiting things like grains at home, but not going 100% paleo. I guess I'm considering adding a more paleoish slant to my diet.

On day 6 of my Whole 30, I was struggling a lot. I was having a bit of a low-carb "flu" from the switch in my diet. At the time, I worked in a preschool, and I was there for an open house. I was in charge of the cotton candy machine. Cotton candy was LITERALLY floating around my head for HOURS, and I was too weak to resist. I tried to get out of doing cotton candy. It's just like how my friend and I will avoid certain restaurants at times because we don't think we can resist certain menu items (ie: we won't go to CPK most nights because we'll have a hard time turning down the red velvet and butter cakes).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I suppose what I'm really looking at is a paleo-ish approach. Ordering more "paleo-approved" meals when eating out, and limiting things like grains at home, but not going 100% paleo. I guess I'm considering adding a more paleoish slant to my diet.

On day 6 of my Whole 30, I was struggling a lot. I was having a bit of a low-carb "flu" from the switch in my diet. At the time, I worked in a preschool, and I was there for an open house. I was in charge of the cotton candy machine. Cotton candy was LITERALLY floating around my head for HOURS, and I was too weak to resist. I tried to get out of doing cotton candy. It's just like how my friend and I will avoid certain restaurants at times because we don't think we can resist certain menu items (ie: we won't go to CPK most nights because we'll have a hard time turning down the red velvet and butter cakes).

I don't see what paleoish is going to accomplish for you that a regular calorie deficit will not…

IMO you either do it, or you do not….
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I don't see what paleoish is going to accomplish for you that a regular calorie deficit will not…

IMO you either do it, or you do not….

Special powers... you just missed that part of the "ish" memo.