how are those knees runners?

Options
I have been walking briskly about 2 miles in 30 minutes. I have always been worried to start jogging bc I'm 60 pounds over weight and I am scared I'll either die of exhaustion or damage my knees. But jogging looks so wonderful, like freedom and burning massive calories. So, to all you runners out there, how are your knees? In your opinion do you think someone very overweight could even start running without keeling over? :) will my weight have a negative effect on the outcome? Thank yo
Oh if u do think I could achieve jogger status how should I get started?

Replies

• discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I believe you could do it. I would start with an app like C25k Couch to 5 k. I did it when I first started running. I loved it. I started out super slow and I am just now starting to run faster. Good luck
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My knees are awesome. Started at 357, at 255 now.

What kills knees are A: Bad shoes and B: Heel striking.

Your feet were designed to land on the ball and absorb the shock of that landing, but when you wear the wrong shoes (basically anything with a overly built-up heel or really cheap outsole foam material) and land on your heel, that shock goes all the way up your leg, damaging every gap it crosses.

I say swing by a real running shoe store (like Fleet Feet or similar) and express your concerns. They'll do their best to fit you in something comfy that will keep you from getting hurt.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K (C25K) is a great way to get started - not the only way, but it works for many.

Running actually protects your knees over the long term except in special cases so I don't worry about it! (Some abstracts: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120, http://www.cfp.ca/content/55/9/871.short)

ETA: Those articles aren't necessarily about protection, just correlations between knee issues and running/exercise.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Thank you. And wow!! Great weight loss :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My knees are just fine, thank you. There is overwhelming evidence that running does not damage your knees and/or hips but there are pre-existing conditions that contraindicate running (eg existing joint damage, being extremely overweight)

The good news is that by starting slow, building gradually, employing good technique and using appropriate footwear even us overweight runners can perform well,have fun and run injury free. There are a couple of other things you can to to help yourself too, and these include cross training (bike, swim, row, weights etc) , strengthening your core and focusing on strengthening glutes & hips (hip & glute weaknesses / imbalances frequently manifest themselves as knee pain)

Running can be a very enjoyable and liberating activity, approach it sensibly and you can enjoy running for the rest of your life.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My knees are awesome. Started at 357, at 255 now.

What kills knees are A: Bad shoes and B: Heel striking.

Your feet were designed to land on the ball and absorb the shock of that landing, but when you wear the wrong shoes (basically anything with a overly built-up heel or really cheap outsole foam material) and land on your heel, that shock goes all the way up your leg, damaging every gap it crosses.

I say swing by a real running shoe store (like Fleet Feet or similar) and express your concerns. They'll do their best to fit you in something comfy that will keep you from getting hurt.

Partially agree. Injury is more about overstriding, not necessarily heel striking. Plenty of people run in the "built up heels" and still midfoot strike or heel strike without overstriding. For a beginning runner or someone with issues with overpronation, the less heeled, more minimal shoes may not be appropriate and could increase risk of other types of injury. I run in both types of shoes, so I am not against them - they just are not for everyone.

And yes, a place like Fleet Feet is a great place to start!
  • sabbyfairy
    sabbyfairy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I recommend good shoes, stretching, and proper technique.

Warm up your muscles before stretching before running. It helps make sure you'll feel how you're landing a bit better.

Mine knees are destroyed from running in knock-off Converse before I could afford running shoes, as well as ballet and tap giving them quite the beating. Don't be ridiculous like me. :D
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend a Couch 2 5K program. Mix walking and jogging, and then increase how much of the time is spent jogging instead of walking. You'll be a jogger before you know it! Just make sure you have proper shoes; the wrong shoes can leave you hurting in more places than just your knees!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I stopped having knee pain when I quit running in 'cheap' running shoes, and switched to minimalist shoes. As the above poster said, they aren't for everyone, and you can use proper form with other shoes as well, just the minimalist ones force you to land on the front of your feet, because heel striking really hurts in them :wink:
    As a reference for proper form with some anatomy and shoe-lore thrown in, check out the book 'natural running', I think the authors name is Danny Abshire.
    Slow build up, patience and not overdoing it are very important. I always have to hold myself back from progressing too quickly. I now started cycling, so I would get over my running-impatience (I ALWAYS want to run more than is good for me at my current level)...
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Awesome you want to start running! I started running about 30 pounds ago and still have another 30-40 to go so I am still significantly overweight, but running can sure help with that! I wasn't able to run for 60 seconds without having to stop and walk about 9 months ago and last weekend I ran 8.02 miles! I think I enjoyed running because seeing fitness gains was realty quick. It doesn't take forever to get good at running. I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to take it slow in the beginning! Even if you feel like you can go faster and farther, don't. At first. I got some massive shin splints when I first started running because I thought I could do it all. You've really got to take some time to work those shin/calf muscles up and by all means STRETCH especially your calves after you run. Even if you only run for 5 minutes. Have so much fun!!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I'm so pumped up now :)
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My knees actually got better with running. I second the good shoes and C25K. That's how I got started. Good luck!!
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    Excess weight people carry around is more harmful than the stress put on the knees when running! Think about it, someone who is overweight will put more stress on their knees just from daily tasks than someone who is not overweight and runs.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is to go to a running store and get some real running shoes. I didi that and I haven't had any knee or other problems and I was pretty overweight when i started.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints occasionally when I first started running on the treadmill, but learned that was from increasing my speed & incline too rapidly.

Get a free assessment from a personal trainer at your gym. I did and had the PT assess my form when running to pick up any points that would minimize pain.

Good luck- you will LOVE it! There is no better feeling than hopping off the treadmill sweaty with a great burn!
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My knees always used to hurt when I would try to run. Once I got fitted for shoes (I went through 3 pairs by the time I found the ones) now my knees NEVER hurt. I joined a local running group to train. Also, by running store, we aren't referring to a sporting goods store, but a real running store. Best decision I made. Also keep in mind that the most expensive shoe may not always be the best for you. I tried the Brooks Transcend which were $160 and hated them. I'm in a Brooks Dyad that were $110 and have happy feet. You'll do great, remember not to do too much too soon and burn out. SLOW AND STEADY! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started running at 240 pounds. I'm 5'6, so I was quite overweight. You can run while overweight, but I do think you need to be maybe more careful than your average runner.

First, as others have mentioned, buy good shoes for your running style...especially if you over-pronate, you'll want something with stability.

Next, try not to run on concrete, at least at first. Treadmills, trails, and dirt roads are more forgiving to joints than paved streets.

Finally, and probably most importantly, build up very gradually. You'll improve cardiovascular health sooner than your joints will adapt. You won't want to run more than half an hour at a time (or rather run/walk intervals). You also shouldn't run two days in a row at first...cross train the other days with swimming or walking or something else low impact. Oh, and do some strength training. It'll help you keep from getting injured.

It's worth the trouble though. I love running now.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Wear good shoes, start C25K and make sure to stretch really good. I love running! I wear a knee support when I run just to be safe because sometimes I step wrong and it will bother me. Way to go you will really enjoy it :)
  • lorarte
    lorarte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started running last year, I'm the most unlikely runner I can think of. It's helped me lose more weight, build up more muscle and to feel better about myself.
    I went to a decent sports store where they had a Gait Analysis machine so that they found me the right sort of running shoes otherwise I'd be going over on my ankles all the time (I'm double jointed). They helped me change my posture to avoid knee problems (which I've had since I was a child) and I now run several times a week (in good weather) and do about 5k or more each time.

Start with Couch to 5k, get an app for your phone that tells you when to run and when to walk. Take it slow and don't worry if your run is no faster than your usual walking pace. It's still taking more energy and it ALL helps.

Well done for taking the next step to a fitter, slimmer you.
  • OldManJooby
    OldManJooby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Posture and stretching, posture and stretching

Nail the two down and you never have any kind of problems.