Geodon or other ap's and weight reduction..

Options
anyone on here take Geodon and lose weight on it? I was taking Risperdal before and gained 45 lbs in yr. , but I also wasn't eating right, didn't exercise , and im a 29 yr old male. I have just started working out and eating right for a month on and off and have lost 4 lbs. just wondering if anyone has any pointers to lose weight on this med....

Replies

• ed198501
    ed198501 Posts: 7
    Options
    bump for some responses
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I took Geodon for years and lost weight on it but had to switch medications because of worsening conditions on the psychiatric end.

Diet is the MOST important thing when losing weight on Geodon. Make sure you take the medicine with a protein for higher effectiveness for the medicine, just FYI. But watch your diet extremely carefully. Because like other anti-psychotics it is easier to gain weight on. Geodon is least likely to cause weight gain but it still can cause it, so diet is extremely important.

Make sure you exercise regularly too, because I found that helped particularly on that anti-psychotic more than the one I'm currently taking. If you don't feel you can lose weight on Geodon, talk to your psychiatrist about other options, because they can go into the atypical anti-psychotics which can sometimes promote weight loss. I'm currently taking perphenazine and it has a low dose with little to no side-effects and it is not known to cause weight gain.

If you have any questions, just send me a message. I've lost weight while on many anti-psychotics so I can help.
  • ed198501
    Options
    how many mg.'s of the perphenazine do you take? do you take an anti-cholinergenic with it? if you do are there any cognitive side effects?