Attn all runners and cyclists !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Just wanted to put this out there...please please be careful when you are running or riding your bike outside. Be careful when having your music on and loud.

A co-worker of my moms died last week, she was running on a trail (with her ipod on), she made a turn and didn't see /hear the bike and the bike hit her , knocking her down and causing a skull fracture later causing her to loose her life.

Made me take a 2nd look at turning up the music when outside. NOt being able to hear what is around you , could be a car, a dog, a bike..anything...

This broke my heart and wanted to make sure everyone is as careful as they can be so this horrible accident doesn't happen to anyone else.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Because of this I will not wear my Headphones when I run anymore!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear of the loss. I know there are a lot of people that run/walk or jog with Ipod on. I have always been leary of
    such a thing as I have to walk on the roads as there are no sidewalks so I refuse to listen to music when I walk. It is amazing what you really hear when you listen. :)

Thanks for the post and maybe it will help someone else

Mary
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your message. I'm so sorry for your loss :( it's very but I for one have learnt something from it. Take care, Mikhaila
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    very sorry for your loss.....i usually only wear one earbud in my ear so i still have music to keep me moving but i also have one ear open to hear external sounds....again i'm very sorry for your friend's loss.....
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    You can still wear headphones, just be resonsible with them... don't listen to loud (saves your hearing, as well), take one ear out when you're about to turn or stop...

As with anything... be resonsible.

the beat of the music helps keep your pace, and pass the time.

I'm sorry for your/your friend's loss...
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    Sorry for the loss! Its a wake up call and reminder to just be careful out there!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Good advice, sometimes we need an occasional reminder.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Good advice! I'm sorry for your loss.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I've weened myself off music while running(& biking) a few months ago & it was the best thing that I ever did. You're so much more in tune with your body without the music distraction, and I actually find time goes by faster now without the music. I know it sounds kind of weird, but it did for me.