Eggs

Options
HereWeGoAgain7
HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
Okay so my personal trainer and nutritionist are encouraging me to add eggs to my diet, specifically to breakfast. They also want me to eliminate my morning toast. The problem? I only like my eggs two ways. The first is "eggies in a basket" (cut a hole in bread, butter the heck out of it, drop it in a pan, crack the egg into the hole, fry up together, until the yoke is just barely still runny) or over medium with toast and meat, preferably fried in butter or bacon fat. Obvisously not what they intended. So I need ideas on how to make eggs (and specifically egg whites) more tolerable. The consitency of scrambled eggs makes me gag just thinking about them (doesn't matter if you add anything to it, still can't stand them) and hard-boiled eggs don't float my boat either. MFP is my last hope before I go back to the nutritionist and say "Nope, can't do the egg thing"

Replies

• lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How 'bout poached?
    maybe poached in meat broth to add meaty flavour? (there are a couple of recipes for BACON BROTH around)

I hate the whites too....if the could make just yolk eggs I'd be a happy one for sure....I think I'm a litte grossed out about what the whites are anyway....

The only way I can choke down my 2 SEMI-hard boiled eggs for breakfast is to punish myself 1st by eating all of the whites then savouring the yolks....I too haven't found anything healthy to replace the toast or untoasted bread....today I tried an apple to get some fibre & that was too sweet & tasted pretty lame

I've found the best way to have my eggs is to SEMI-hard boil so the whites are completely cooked but the yolks are still moist to runny in the middle....that way they're not dry as dust & needing mayo or something to make them moister....I use the eggs natural moisture to keep the flavour & texture most appealing to me eh!

BTW both your trainer & your nutritionist are RIGHT....eggs for breakfast gives me far more control for the rest of the day & I'm not only not having the cravings but I easily eat likely about 300-400 calories a day less than on non-egg days
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Okay so my personal trainer and nutritionist are encouraging me to add eggs to my diet, specifically to breakfast. They also want me to eliminate my morning toast. The problem? I only like my eggs two ways. The first is "eggies in a basket" (cut a hole in bread, butter the heck out of it, drop it in a pan, crack the egg into the hole, fry up together, until the yoke is just barely still runny) or over medium with toast and meat, preferably fried in butter or bacon fat. Obvisously not what they intended. So I need ideas on how to make eggs (and specifically egg whites) more tolerable. The consitency of scrambled eggs makes me gag just thinking about them (doesn't matter if you add anything to it, still can't stand them) and hard-boiled eggs don't float my boat either. MFP is my last hope before I go back to the nutritionist and say "Nope, can't do the egg thing"

Why do they wan't you to cut out bread?
    Egg, bacon and toast sounds like a pretty good breakfast to me :/ you can make it as calorific or not as you like with a few tweaks.
    Bread isn't going to kill you. Unless you have that wheat intolerance I wouldn' cut it out.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    How 'bout poached?
    maybe poached in meat broth to add meaty flavour? (there are a couple of recipes for BACON BROTH around)

I hate the whites too....if the could make just yolk eggs I'd be a happy one for sure....I think I'm a litte grossed out about what the whites are anyway....

The only way I can choke down my 2 SEMI-hard boiled eggs for breakfast is to punish myself 1st by eating all of the whites then savouring the yolks....I too haven't found anything healthy to replace the toast or untoasted bread....today I tried an apple to get some fibre & that was too sweet & tasted pretty lame

I've found the best way to have my eggs is to SEMI-hard boil so the whites are completely cooked but the yolks are still moist to runny in the middle....that way they're not dry as dust & needing mayo or something to make them moister....I use the eggs natural moisture to keep the flavour & texture most appealing to me eh!

BTW both your trainer & your nutritionist are RIGHT....eggs for breakfast gives me far more control for the rest of the day & I'm not only not having the cravings but I easily eat likely about 300-400 calories a day less than on non-egg days

Hmm...possible. Can you pre-cook the semi-boiled eggs? I'm a five minutes until I have to leave for work kinda girl...
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

:/ Protein/fat would tend to do that anyway.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options

Egg, bacon and toast sounds like a pretty good breakfast to me :/ you can make it as calorific or not as you like with a few tweaks.
    Bread isn't going to kill you. Unless you have that wheat intolerance I wouldn' cut it out.

They think that I have wheat issues or gluten issues...so its a test thing.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

They think that I have wheat issues or gluten issues...so its a test thing.

Oh I see. In that case I eat spinich with two or three eggs. Also omelettes are pretty good, fill full off veggies and bit of cheese..
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    Oh I see. In that case I eat spinich with two or three eggs. Also omelettes are pretty good, fill full off veggies and bit of cheese..

how do you cook the eggs with the spinich? Omelets have the whole scrambled egg consistency problem for me....
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Free range eggs. So much yummier.

As for how to cook a semi-boiled egg, I put however many eggs into a pot of COLD water, put them on the gas, make the rest of my breakfast, and then when the water is boiling I turn the gas off and take out my egg if I want it semi-cooked, and leave it in for another few minutes if I want it medium to hard boiled.
  • lizwizCYLS
    Options
    yup....that's WHY it works & I got sick of having garlic surimi for breakfast eh!
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options

how do you cook the eggs with the spinich? Omelets have the whole scrambled egg consistency problem for me....

Maybe add a dash of milk to the eggs.... beat them up. Add spinach into the pan until it starts to wilt then pour the eggs in. Keep it moving until it is starting to set.

Add some cheese to the top and whack it under a hot grill. It should rise like a souffle ..... and no "runny scrambled egg texture".
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What about a omelette, crustless quiche or frittata? You could add lean meat to it to boost the protein, or veggies to boost the volume? A friend of mine puts bacon, chives and potato/sweet potato in hers to bulk it up, as she is intolerant to gluten.

I have to admit, i love eggs EVERY way. But I have started only having one piece of toast with my 2-3 eggs, and choosing methods like poaching and boiling to reduce added calories. I love food, so I try and get as much volume wise as I can in with my calorie allowance hahaha.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Maybe add a dash of milk to the eggs.... beat them up. Add spinach into the pan until it starts to wilt then pour the eggs in. Keep it moving until it is starting to set.

Add some cheese to the top and whack it under a hot grill. It should rise like a souffle ..... and no "runny scrambled egg texture". Okay now I want eggs after reading this.....bad!
  • lizwizCYLS
    Options
    Truth....
    I'm lucky....my omega3 brown free range chicken eggs are fresh from my boss's farm & if they were any more free range they'd get run over by the school bus LOL
    Tons of nutrition for 77 calories....
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    Hmm...Think I'll buy some eggs at the store tonight and try the souffle idea. Hopefully I can find a quick easy deal that ISN'T scrambled lol. Thanks for the ideas everyone. Keep them coming if you have more, i'll check when i get back in an hour or so...gym time!
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs are definitely my favourite, especially with spinach and maybe a little salmon. They taste so good. Although I do love a cheese or mushroom omelette. So much better for you a little protein in the morning it keeps you fuller for longer. I really don't start feeling hungry again until 10 minutes before my lunch. I used to much my way through bread every morning but now I'm a total convert. Eggs every morning for me.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I love eggs - and eat them poached, dry fried, scrambled or omelette ...

My husband hates the texture of eggs and couldn't swallow any of those, but he does eat spanish omelet when i make that
    my spanish omelet has all sorts in it usually at least 3 or 4 veggies and maybe some lardon meaty bits then i poor beaten egg over the top and do not stir - you end up with all the veggies stuck together by the egg by to so much of the taste or texture of the egg.

I also find that the texture of omelette and scrambled get a lot worse very quickly when they are cooked too long. It's hard to get hte timings right usually, but I turn off the hob before I think they're done - plate up anything else, and usually they continue cooking in their own heat. If they're rubbery - they've been cooked too long.
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You could make overnight refrigerator oats with 1. Gluten free oats 1/3 C
    2. 1/3 C nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    3. 1/3 C nonfat milk or almond milk
    4. Splenda and a little fruit like 4 strawberries
    5. Egg Whites from a carton like 2 T
    You mix it up, put it in the fridge, next morning eat.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    I don't cook the spinich I just have a couple of handfuls on the plate and then throw 3 fried eggs on top. It taste good. Salt/Pepper/Mustard to serve
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    :sad: wheat issues.. gluten intolerance?

:blushing: So egg custard is no good? :blushing:
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    I just remembered this as well!

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf#oopsie

Its a LCHF Diet (not suggesting the diet, just the recipe) "bread" alternative - obviously you don't need the yeast. I have made it with cream cheese and its not to bad. It has quite a fluffy texture. I had it with a fried egg (lol) and some bacon. I also made sandwiches out of it.