1st Week And Im Up 1lb

Options
Hi, This is my first time to post to this. I started mfp last monday and I've generally been very good. On 2 days I was over but they were day's that I was out with work and it was only by 100 or so calories. Other day's i didn't even reach the 1200 calories allowed so was under by 200 /300. I've worked out 4 days and I just can't figure out how I've managed to put up 1lb. Its really disheartening :-(

I just don't know what else I can do to lose this weight.

Replies

• walletless
    Options
    Don't worry buddy. It often happens that you initially gain weight before losing it. This is primarily because you are developing muscles while working out, and muscles have more mass than fats.

The good news is, that muscles also burn more calories than fats, so over time, if you keep working out, you will see better payoff.

I need to ask - what kind of workout are you doing? How many minutes total? How many minutes of Cardio? How many minutes of weights? How much stretching?

Another tip - don't spend a day with just 100 calories of intake. I would suggest you atleast to to about 1000 calories a day. Your body needs the energy to burn during workouts.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    your body may be in starvation mode...you must eat the alotted abount of calories...you dont necessary have to eat the exercise cals but your alotted ones the 1200 you should try to come close to...your body will otherwise start storing fat because its starving...MFP also tells you this when you complete your food diary.. try again this week to eat more and see what happens
  • flynno
    flynno Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi. I am doing bootcamp classes on Monday's & Wednesday which is 35 min of cardio and 15 min of toning Then on Saturday I did a 45 min jog and yesterday I did a trek for 2hours, which was fast walking with some hill climbing.
  • davebarron
    Options
    Don't worry too much, that pound could easily be a cup or two of water. And adding muscle will help burn weight off over the long run. Try to weight yourself the same time of the day and don't worry about 1 pound, it will drop off. And try not to go below 1200 calories, you need at least that much to stay healthy, especially if you are exercising.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think it's WAY too early to be disappointed. Give your body time to adjust ot the changes and you'll be fine. Sounds like you're doing all the right things, you just need to be patient. I'm pretty sure you didn't gain the weight overnight....
  • 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it could be water weight. Keep up the good job, and I agree with giving it time. Before you know it, the numbers on the scale will be dropping!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    you have to EAT! at least your 1200 calories AND some of your exercise calories. Watch your sodium and drink water :) Chin up YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    you have to EAT! at least your 1200 calories AND some of your exercise calories. Watch your sodium and drink water :) Chin up YOU CAN DO THIS!

I agree
  • ProTFitness
    Options

I agree
  • ProTFitness
    Options

I agree
  • ProTFitness
    Options

I agree
  • ProTFitness
    Options

I agree you have to eat to loose. YOU PROBABLY NOT GETTING ENOUGH IN AND MAKE SURE YOU DRINKING WATER NO POPS AND WATCH THE SODIUM. also you can not gain muscle mass in a week that is crazieness. If you dont get enough calories your body will hold on to what you give it
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give you some tough love. Weight loss can be a long journey and you just barely have begun, if you allow yourself to be disheartened so quick in the game it will be hard to succeed.

Each day look at your accomplishments: what good changes you are making and the better choices you are making. Don't put the scale in control of your mood!

This is coming from a person who has taken 6 months to lose 10lbs. If i let the scale control how I felt about what I was doing, I'd have been in dispair long ago!!!

:-)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the other posters that 1lb is probably just regular fluctuations going on in your body. I weigh myself at the same time every morning and some days I gain 2 lbs and then it's gone the next morning. Your weight will fluctuate between 1 and 2 lbs depending on what you ate the day before (sodium can make you retain water), how much water you drank (believe it or not, if you drink more water you'll have less 'water weight'), and what time you ate.

I also think that eating less than 1200 calories is not enough, especially if you're exercising. You shouldn't go below 1200 calories NET, meaning you should eat some or most of your exercise calories. Otherwise, your body probably doesn't have enough energy to efficiently burn the fat that you need.

Don't focus on 1-2 lb gains/losses. Wait a month and see what your weight is then to see if you have gained/lost. Don't let the scale control you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!