What excuses did you give for your obesity?

Options
I told people a lot of it was muscle! HA!

But honestly, I've also heard this from others. Especially those who were athletes when young.

Replies

• LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Never gave an excuse, just told people straight I was fat and happy! Although the first bit was true, the latter wasn't entirely..... More of a defience than happiness!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I never gave explanations to anyone, but I used to tell myself I loved food & being lazy too much to diet and exercise. I kept telling myself things like "life is too short to think about eating less" or "I'm worth more than my weight"... which is somewhat true. I still like eating, and I still appreciate splurging every once in a while, but I've also come to enjoy the healthy side of my life that I somehow rejected in a stubborn way back then.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    …but I'm active. I'm healthy. LOL. I allowed myself to think that because I was on my feet 10+ hours a day running a restaurant and hiking, swimming or skiing in my free time meant that it didn't matter that I was overweight.

Of course, that's bull****.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My excuses to myself were "Well I'm not THAT big really!" Then when I saw some side by side comparison pics after losing quite a bit, I realised just how big I actually was.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My three major excuses were:

1) I loved having big boobs;

2) I carried it well because I wear high heels;

3) I used the word voluptuous a lot.

Now,

1) boobs look great;

2) I carry muscle better and have more confidence,

3) I lost my booty, but I earned a better one back with hip thrusts.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I was always big so I'd always be big

I am not that big (I was)

I love food way too much to cut back
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I never gave excuses. I love food so I over ate and gained too much weight.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Genetics mostly... stress.. my sedintary job... until I realized that none of that was an "excuse" it was me.. and my crappy choices.. i'd crack jokes about my weight because I thought that if I made fun of me.. no one else would. These are all the reasons that I dont want to be her anymore.
  • Kelkath72
    Kelkath72 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i had heard once that when you gain weight with hypothyroidism that you can never lose it. so i didn't even try. now i know better. it may take longer, but it will come off! :happy:
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I carried it well (it's true I am quite muscular, but there's only so much fat a girl can 'carry well'). I had an active job, with heavy lifting, and got at least some exercise (I could walk for miles - up and down mountains if they got in my way). Oh and of course, a dodgy metabolism!
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Baby fat (at the time my child was 6 years old...haha)
    I sit a desk all day
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Slow metabolism. "I have a big frame so I carry it well."

Note: Yes I'm still technically obese since my BMI is about 33 but I've lost way more than my ticker says. My BMI used to be close to 51!!!
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I simply didn't care. Why work hard to be in great health when you can smoke a pack of cigs a day, and eat as much processed food as you want?

Thank god I changed my mind about a year ago. My first marathon is coming up in 5 and a half months, I am doing about 7 miles of running and 10 miles of biking per day, I don't smoke at all (but using e-cigs to taper down and quit completely). And I went from a high of 225 down to 160 lbs.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke at all (but using e-cigs to taper down and quit completely).

Ahah! Someone else who's enjoying the vapeing. I've cut down on my cigs, and am still hoping to quit entirely before the year is up.

I was quite well aware of my size (although, frankly I wasn't quite aware of *how* big I looked, just that I was headed towards morbid obesity). I'd tried to lose weight several times before and failed. I figured that as I was a fat, ugly, idiotic loser, I may as well be a totally fat, ugly, idiotic loser.

I'm still working on the mental aspects of losing the weight...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It was baby weight...I mean that's normal...

he is 20 now...I just lost it...:laugh:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm not that big
    I'm big boned
    No point in trying I'll just gain it all back
    But I like food
    I lost a bunch of weight and then randomly decided the rest was just loose skin (combined with the big bones ya know) and that's why I just can't get out of the overweight bmi range.
    I was full of excuses for a long time
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It was baby weight...I mean that's normal...

he is 20 now...I just lost it...:laugh:

My mom still uses that excuse, and I'm 29! lol
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    "I carry my weight well. You can't really tell that I'm XXXX." or "I can't see myself being any smaller than I am now. I don't think I would like it."

Man, I was about waist-deep in denial.
  • tiger_striped
    tiger_striped Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I told myself I lacked willpower when the truth was that I didn't want to use it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't explain **** to anyone about my weight, because it's none of their business.