Any Pit bull owners in here?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I'm currently fostering a incredibly sweet and loving 7 month old female pit bull that I am in love with! I've never had a pit but would love to adopt her if husband says it's ok. How much training do they need? Also, she makes the stinkiest farts EVER! Is this normal? She can clear a room with one fart! LOL!:laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You sure it's the dog? I often blame my own gas passings on one of the family pets. :bigsmile:
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    You sure it's the dog? I often blame my own gas passings on one of the family pets. :bigsmile:

Well, I'm pretty sure!:laugh:
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    I don't own a pit, but foster them. They are notorious for their stinky farts! LOL Having them on a raw or all natural diet will help that dramatically!

They are very easy to train and incredibly smart. They are of course food/treat driven but are natural people pleasers and praise is so important.

Good luck!
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have a pit... Sweetest, biggest freaking lap dog ever. Super easy to train - smarter than any dog I have ever had.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a pit lab cross, and she's the goofiest, happiest, most loyal dog I've had. She was a bit strong-willed and definitely the doggy version of ADHD, but once I convinced her it was in her best interest to follow me, she's been extremely well trained and awesome.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pit, however, a very good friend of mine has 4. They are amazing dogs.... every time I go to visit they each take their turns playing with my little one and I. They are incredibly smart and wonderful family dogs....
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    So glad to hear this! Also, so glad that no one's said how evil, mean, horrible, nasty, blah blah blah they are!:angry: My FIL HATES all pit bulls with a passion for no good reason. I hate people that will condemn an entire breed!
  • robinerikson
    Options
    My friend has a pitbull, a girl. Sometimes, he brings it to our house. She's so sweet and knows some tricks. But I never heard her farts. :D
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We had a pit mutt until she passed away earlier this year. She was a great family dog, not so great with strangers and not great with other dogs. People would be afraid of her but she never bit anyone the whole time we had her and she was a big old sweety pie. We miss her very much.

*Her farts were epic, however. They smelled like an alfalfa processing plant.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My brother in law got a pit bull late last year, and she's awesome! She's about 6 or 7 months old now and going through a rebellious teenager phase. She can play pretty rough sometimes and occasionally needs reminding that she's not the alpha dog. She's really goofy, but also very smart. I think she'll pick up tricks easily once she gets a little older.

The other pit bulls I've been around have similar dispositions: energetic, goofy, and under the impression that they're still small enough to get up in your lap or sit on your shoulder. I've been around a couple who were GREAT with people, even kids, but aggressive toward other dogs. I strongly believe that they were trained to be that way, though.

If I didn't live in an apartment, I would love to have a pit bull. :heart:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    cffs.jpg

This is Izzy.. .she is my 2 year old Pit bull rescue. She is a total lover... but very high energy and very strong. She gets really excited around people and other dogs... so excited it makes people uncomfortable quickly. Especially when she is on the leash and starts wining to play with another dog. I used to take her to the football or baseball games for my kids but it became too much of a hastle after a while and now she stays home.

I also do not know if it is a product of the breed or the fact that she is the first female dog that I have owned, but she is more independent minded and stubborn then any dog I have had. She listens very well when she wants to, she also can ignore people well!

She is very protective of my kids too, we will take her out on hikes with us, the boys cannot leave her sight.

OH and her farts stink
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Pit Bulls are banned where I live and have been for years :angry:

I have an English Bulldog.

Edited for spelling.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I have a Pit Too! :happy:

I adopted her when she was already 1 year old, from a person at work. We had lost our 16 year old pit to cancer and my son really wanted to have another protector. :wink:

We had a rough go at it in the beginning, because she wants to "play" with the stray cats, the neighbor feeds. However, after a few months she calmed down a bit. It's been about 3 years now and we have never had a problem with her. She hardly barks, when she does, It's for a reason. :laugh:

At the beginning she had a real problem with Farts. Oh My Lord, :sick: But when I changed her food to a better quality (I think it's Blue Mountain) , that rarely happens... sometimes she gets into food my son has left in his room and that upsets her stomach. :laugh:

If you give them love they will give you love, loyalty and protection . :flowerforyou:

The only reason I wouldn't get another Pit after this one. They have a bad rap, and anything that happens involving another animal. It's always the Pit's fault. I can't take her to a dog park and only walk her ealy in the morning. If another dog owner leaves their dog unleashed and happens to get into something with your Pit.... Your dog is guilty until rarely proven innocent. At least here in Florida, it's that way.

Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • _zombiegirl_
    _zombiegirl_ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have two pits, 5yo male (Bucky, had him since he was 4 weeks old) and 4yo female (Darla - got her at 8 weeks old).

I'm admittedly a little partial to my male, since he is my baby, but he is smart as a whip. Catches on very fast. My female is smart, but listens only when she wants to (I see that the stubbornness has been mentioned already^^), and is completely neurotic and has been since she was a pup. For example, she licks everything - your hand, the couch, the floor, the air... whatever is near. We've wondered if it's a form of pica. And chasing her tail at even the slightest bit of excitement. But she is a total lover... doesn't tolerate other dogs besides Bucky, but ANY human, especially children, is an immediate best friend to her. My male likes you once he is comfortable with you, but is more protective, especially of me.

I've never trained a dog other than these two, but it didn't seem hard to me at all - especially house training. Consistency is always key.

Oh the farts... the farts have to be a trademark. lol
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    They need a lot of training mostly because of the public's perception of them. They are easy to train though because they are uber eager to please and bond really well to their "pack."

Give them LOTS of stuff to chew on. Those jaws need constant exercise. My pitty loves to chew socks so I give him holey old (clean) socks.

As for the farting - oh my Goddess - their farts are the worst in the world! One way to decrease the amount of methane pouring from their hind end is to feed them food without grains. No rice, oats, and definitely NO CORN! It's not a perfect solution but it does help. It has also helped my other dogs (I have four more). Oh, and I have four cats as well. The cats have Thor (my pit puppy) firmly under their well-manicured paws!

Thor congratulates you on your excellent taste in puppies!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    my new neighbors have a sweet, incredibly shy pit or pit cross that used to avoid me. last time i went to the door to chat she came right up to me and licked my face--a lot.
  • Lammo_UK
    Lammo_UK Posts: 61
    Options
    Some breeds of Pit Bull breed are banned here in the UK.

I'm not one of those who blame the breed but obviously some of the owners & breeders over here have messed it up for all good, responsible owners. They were owned by some (not all) of the lowest dregs of our society who use them as a status symbol & as a weapon.

They are also used along with other breeds for dog fighting (barbaric). The scum who do this are known to steal small dogs (Jack Russells etc) & use peoples loving pets against their dogs for practice...!

This is taken from the British Government website:

In the UK, it’s against the law to own certain types of dog. These are the:

Pit Bull Terrier
    Japanese Tosa
    Dogo Argentino
    Fila Braziliero

It’s also against the law to:

sell
    abandon
    give away
    breed from
    a banned dog.

Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name.

Example
    If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be a banned type.

You have a banned dog
    If you have a banned dog, the police or local council dog warden can take it away and keep it, even if:

it isn’t acting dangerously
    there hasn’t been a complaint
    The police may need permission from a court to do this. If your dog is in:

a public place, the police don’t need a warrant
    a private place, the police must get a warrant
    a private place and the police have a warrant for something else (like a drugs search), they can seize your dog
    A police or council dog expert will judge what type of dog you have and whether it is (or could be) a danger to the public. Your dog will then either be:

released
    kept in kennels while the police (or council) apply to a court
    While you wait for the court decision, you’re not allowed to visit your dog.

You can give up ownership of your dog but you can’t be forced to. If you do, your dog could be destroyed without you even going to court.

Going to court
    It’s your responsibility to prove your dog is not a banned type.

If you prove this, the court will order the dog to be returned to you. If you can’t prove it (or you plead guilty), you’ll be convicted of a crime.

The maximum penalty for having a banned dog against the law is a £5,000 fine and/or 6 months in prison. Your dog will also be destroyed.

Index of Exempted Dogs (IED)

If your dog is banned but the court thinks it’s not a danger to the public, it may put it on the IED and let you keep it.

You’ll be given a Certificate of Exemption. This is valid for the life of the dog.

Your dog must be:

neutered
    tattooed
    microchipped
    kept on a lead and muzzled at all times when in public
    kept in a secure place so it can’t escape
    As the owner, you must:

take out insurance against your dog injuring other people
    be aged over 16
    show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or council dog warden, either at the time or within 5 days
    let the IED know if you change address, or your dog dies
    Index of Exempted Dogs
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I know loads of ppl in UK with Pits and they've never had any trouble.Well two got them taken but got them back.Pitbulls are brilliant dogs,i've been bitten by more ankle snappers than anything else lol
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of those who blame the breed but obviously some of the owners & breeders over here have messed it up for all good, responsible owners. They were owned by some (not all) of the lowest dregs of our society who use them as a status symbol & as a weapon.

They are also used along with other breeds for dog fighting (barbaric). The scum who do this are known to steal small dogs (Jack Russells etc) & use peoples loving pets against their dogs for practice...!

It’s also against the law to:

sell
    abandon
    give away
    breed from
    a banned dog.

This is the same in most of the areas of the US. In some states, counties and cities certain breeds are banned. That's why I don't live in those states, counties and cities.

The dog fighters actually don't seem to understand that what they are doing is evil. I actually had one brag to me about his fighting dogs and fighting *kitten* (chickens, no the other type). When I turned him in he seemed confused as to why he was in trouble. When I testified against him in court, he kept looking at me with (please excuse the pun) "puppy dog eyes" like I had betrayed him. This is not a stupid man, either. He ran a successful business and admitted he knew that what he was doing was against the law. I dunno, maybe he is a sociopath. He certainly seemed to be. Anyway, animals everywhere are a little safer for a couple more years.

He got most of the time from theft - stealing other peoples' property (dogs, cats, etc. for his fighting dogs to kill.) The fighting dogs were put down (blame the victim!)
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info! I think my 3 cats want to put a bounty on my head about now. They are all outside giving me dirty looks through the door because "Mom has a DOG!" Ruby really couldn't care less about the cats but I'm worried she'll get a claw to the eye! I am in love with this dog!!!!!!!:love::love: :love: